PDA

View Full Version : LE10A, 2105, LE20-1

Mats Nilsson
08-19-2005, 02:15 AM
I have been given a pair of DYI speakers equipped with these three drivers. LE10A serial number 59800, 2105 serial number 10898 and LE20-1 serial number 200975. I would like to use the drivers and build a pair of speakers exactly as the original. Is there an original design equipped with these drivers? If not, does anyone have suggestions on a design that would work with the drivers.

M

Earl K
08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Is there an original design equipped with these drivers? If not, does anyone have suggestions on a design that would work with the drivers.

- To my best recollection, there isn't a stock 3-way design that uses the LE20 tweeter along with the le10a . There is a two-way ; the L77 .
- I guess my first thought would be to use a modifed 3113b network in a L96 or L110 sized enclosure.
- There are plenty of posters here who have made similar project speakers / but have used different tweeters .
- A link to many JBL networks in pdf form (http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Network%20Schematics.html)
- There's a wealth of great info in the archives. Most of it you can find if you search using this sites search engine. Use key words that best describe your interest ( such as le20, or le10a, or 2105, or le5 ). Narrow the search by including "Giskard" as the poster to get some truly relevant information .
- EDIT: (8/20/05) SEARCH (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?) by using "le20" as a keyword, while entering "Giskard" into the "Search by User Name" field.
- Here's a linked thread that includes a response graph for the le20 tweeter . (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=263&highlight=le20)

I have been given a pair of DYI speakers equipped with these three drivers. LE10A serial number 59800, 2105 serial number 10898 and LE20-1 serial number 200975.

- On the surface, this statement is a bit confusing and contradictory. A "pair" of speakers ( with 3 components in each speaker ) strongly suggests that you now own 6 drivers / but you only mention the serial numbers for 3. So, which situation is it ?

- Assuming you've just got the 3 components ( and therefore are still gathering parts ) / there are some who would recommend retiring that single LE20 and going with a pair of tweets that offers greater/flatter HF extension.

- Model numbers; 044, 066, 035ti, 044ti all come to mind, with the 035ti typically being the most available on eBay .

I would like to use the drivers and build a pair of speakers exactly as the original.

- Well, if you already like how these particular components play your music / then I too would follow this path . ( there is a small & mostly "silent fan club" for these older alnico magnet, cone-style tweeters ).

Oh and welcome to the forum <. EarlK :)

Mats Nilsson
08-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks Earl,

To be honest this is my first contact with Lansing..... I'm a HIFI fan and a speaker builder, my last project was a Klipsch corner horn, great sound but unhappy wife. So receiving these drivers (and yes, I have 6 components) just drived me to do something funny with them. The LE 10's both have to be refoamed, or probably reconed if you listen to the scraping noice when you move the cone?

So, any design would do to get the most out of all or some of the drivers, the more complicated design the marrier.

Ebay is not really my choice as I'm from Europe/Sweden

Mats

- Here's a narrowed down search for the le20 ( & Giskard ) (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=101351) (VERY NARROWED DOWN ;) :applaud: )

hector.murray
08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm currently building some 4313/L96 clones. The pics I took are too big to post ATM, I need to shrink them down. I will post later.

duaneage
08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I am building 4411 clones and using 2105 midranges. They are supposed to be equal to the LE 5-9 in terms of efficiency and bandwidth. I would use a 12 inch driver for better bass but you have what you have, so make it the best you can. The 2105 is very efficient, 94 db watt so you may need to add an L-pad network to match the tweeter and woofer together with it.

Zilch
08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
"Search" will reveal LE10A to be one of this forum's favorite woofers. Yup.

And LE20-1 lived on to great satisfaction in various incarnations until the advent of titanium dome tweeters.

That combination is gonna be sweet and good.... :)