PDA

View Full Version : New guy w/4311b's

oznob
08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi,
I am brand new to the site but not to JBL's. I have owned L222's, L112's, L40's and literally wept when I had to seel my 250ti's! Have 2 D130's from 1958 in a Fender Showman Cabinet with my 1974 SUNN Model T head to drive them, AWESOME! I currently have a pair of 4311b's that I just puchased off craigslist, SF bay area. They sound very good and the drivers & pots all seem to work correctly. I haven't opened it up to see which drivers it has but I assume they are original. Cabinets are in very nice shape, grillis are OK. Can anyone tell me which are the correct drivers, model number wise, for them? Also, what is the difference between the 4311 and the b model? Oh, I also have a nice pair of L-36's currently. Thanks in advance for the help,
Mark

Zilch
08-16-2005, 09:54 AM
You'll want to check out the library here, and also learn to navigate the JBL websites:

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Studio%20Monitor%20Series.html

oznob
08-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks so much for the info.! Can you tell me if there are any common problems or upgrades that should be done to the crossovers?

Mr. Widget
08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
...upgrades that should be done to the crossovers?

Maybe when Ian tires of his 434X series of mods he'll start a new series of projects on the 4311s.:applaud:

The 4311B has a simple crossover. If you replace the caps with new "Audiophile" grade polypropylene film and tin foil you may hear an improvement. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Widget

oznob
08-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Appreciate the advice.:D

57BELAIRE
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Welcome....that D130 loaded Showman cab perked my ears. Is it the black Tolex-silver sparkle that stands on end or lies flat?

And the Sunn...4 6L6's + rectifier?

Sounds like a sweet retro bass rig to me.

Here's my baby.... :D

oznob
08-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi,
It stands on end, with the black tolex, silver sparkle cloth and drip rail. Cabinet has seen better days but it looks cool! The SUNN uses four 6550's for the output. Added a tube screamer, home made reverb unit and echo stomp boxes. Have four "matched" JJ tesla 6550's and Sovtec 12AX7's. It is also a good retro rig. We usually end up using my modded Fender Blues Jr. through the PA for most gigs. You don't need two men and a boy to pack it! But when we get serious, we bring out the big guns. Going to try and rig a D130F into the Jr., just haven't got around to it. The stock Eminence is OK. We use EON G2's for our mains so ultimately it's JBL's to the house. The irony of all this is I mainly play drums as guitar players around here are a dime a dozen. I can play guitar just much better at the drums. I just like this stuff! :D