PDA

View Full Version : what's an everest sound like ..??

"Duke" Spinner
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
intrigued by the Horn ..

i'll never get to hear one here in Upstate New York

mikebake
08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
what's an everest sound like ..??
Sort of like a Matterhorn, but with a somewhat taller sound............:D

John
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

clmrt
08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Haha

There's a pair in MSP somewhere. Ask "thevidkid". He saw a pair set up at a retailer once, and has had a fever for them ever since.

I think he said they were $17K, or the last time a set was on A'gon, they were asking that. I forget.

scott fitlin
08-10-2005, 12:14 PM
what's an everest sound like ..??
Sort of like a Matterhorn, but with a somewhat taller sound............:D:applaud:

Zilch
08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm working with just the horns. They sound like 2344A biradials on axis, i.e., perpendicular. As you move side to side between the stereo pair, the center "stays put," because the side you're moving away from gets louder.

The effect is not perfect in my rudimentary setup, but it's there. The Everest white paper reveals the other parameters that must be controlled for it to really work. The other asymmetrically controlled directivity (S2600, S3600) products attempt the same, presumably....

Mr. Widget
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
"They sound like 2344A biradials..."

Compliment or condemnation?;)

Widget

Titanium Dome
08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
"They sound like 2344A biradials..."

Compliment or condemnation?;)

Widget

I'm thinking it's a qualified "compdemnation." :D

(I resisted calling it a "cond-iment.")

Mr. Widget
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif Always a compromise somewhere

....for sure. I just hate compromises that also include bathtub sized speakers.:D

Widget

Zilch
08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I just hate compromises that also include bathtub sized speakers.More like double-wide fridge, actually, and still require a sub. :p

Ian Mackenzie
08-10-2005, 02:44 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif Always a compromise somewhere

....for sure. I just hate compromises that also include bathtub sized speakers.:D

Widget

Depends on how often you use the bath tub and with whom!

Ian

10 Watt Street
08-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Here is a pair in Poland:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1129154599

Ian Mackenzie
08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Those electro in the internal factory crossover are a worry!

Ian

Zilch
08-13-2005, 05:09 PM
The pics:

Mr. Widget
08-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Those electro in the internal factory crossover are a worry!

They were making a "statement" all right.;)

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
08-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Internal mounting tooo.:D

Best place to hide ecomonic rationalism.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
08-15-2005, 11:10 PM
intrigued by the Horn ..

i'll never get to hear one here in Upstate New York

I heard them at a show,

They throw a big sound and you would need alarge room to take advantage of the horns.

While an interesting system I have heard other local opinions from a forum member that suggest the 4435 and even more so a 4344 sound more accurate. Take that with a grain of salt if you like to enjoy every record you own.

I think the Everest would go well with a nice Cary tube amp and you would get a nice warm engaging system that woud be reasonable tolerant of a source. The compression driver if updated to more recent technology might improve the performance but at the end of the day its a 2 1/2 way.

Sometimes opinions are best left the those who actually intend to buy a product, my opinion isn't really worth a crumpet, there are just too many issues and personal taste to make a statement..."what does it sound like".

Ian

paragon
08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Is the bass driver a modified E 145 ?

Eckhard

Zilch
08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Yup, modified by placing a different foilcal on it. :p

paragon
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Please, declare !!

paragon
08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
There is nothing changed exept the nameplate on the rear, is it ??

Eckhard :D

Zilch
08-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Mighta been K145 at the time, perhaps, but the Tech Manual calls E145-8 "Exact replacement." :)

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/DD55000%20Everest%20ts.pdf

Mr. Widget
08-17-2005, 04:31 PM
It was the "E" series.

Widget

rgrjit8
08-18-2005, 08:51 AM
I heard them a few years ago. I recall being disappointed by their lack of bass.

The high end was very good, an enveloping picture of sound which both impressed me and caused consternation by having no obvious point source. I suppose this is good but it messed with my head during critical listenig.

Had I wanted the pair I auditioned, it would have cost about 6500 dollars PLUS the cost of a good subwoofer.
On the other hand, a pair of 4344s would have run half that and no subwoofer needed.

Maybe it's sour grapes, but The Everests didn't strike me as a good value soundwise. I also feared that their interesting "sound signature" would become cloying in time.

"Duke" Spinner
08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
thank you ....

that is Usefull Information..... not drivel as above

i guess i will abandon the idea of a DIY Everest

Zilch
08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
... not drivel as above.I will add "potentially cloying" to the critical listening lexicon here.... :p

rgrjit8
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Please don't let my opinion influence you. My biggest sticking point was value rather than sound. If you've got a DIY project in mind it may be just the ticket.

You've really got to listen to a pair yourself before you toss the idea.

I met a guy who had a pair and raved about them. He invited me to house for a listen, but it was a helluva commute and I didn't go. This guy was very knowledgable about audio and it's possible that hearing his setup might have turned me around.

The type of music may be a factor too. Most Koreans (where I was at the time) are into classical music. They revel in the pure tones of a cello, for example. Tannoy is big there.
What I auditioned the Everests with was an Eagles CD. It was overstimulating, hearing a jumble of sound coming from an indefinite point. You turn your head a little and the sound seemed to originate from a different part of a huge soundstage.

The Everests have a certain indefinable something, that's almost awesome, but which may, in the long run (no pun intended), be tough to live with. Once again this is all just my cheap bastard opinion.

Mr. Widget
08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Please don't let my opinion influence you.

Always a problem... there is a reason why there are so many flavors out there... one man's expansive sound stage is another man's diffuse confused sound stage. One man's detailed focused sound is another's harsh and overly bright sound...

Unfortunately, we can't all hear all of these systems firsthand ourselves... it's quite a dilemma.:banghead:

It was overstimulating, hearing a jumble of sound coming from an indefinite point. You turn your head a little and the sound seemed to originate from a different part of a huge soundstage.

Sounds like a pretty accurate description to me... though as seen from the above perspective, it may be exactly what some are looking for.

The Everests have a certain indefinable something, that's almost awesome, but which may, in the long run (no pun intended), be tough to live with.

...again, see above.

Widget

Bernard Wolf
08-24-2005, 05:56 AM
I heard them a few years ago. I recall being disappointed by their lack of bass.

The high end was very good, an enveloping picture of sound which both impressed me and caused consternation by having no obvious point source. I suppose this is good but it messed with my head during critical listenig.

I also feared that their interesting "sound signature" would become cloying in time.

Just my 2 cents worth as I have never heard a Everest but I do own what some consider the "baby everest', the S/3100. As far as lack of bass is concerned, yes you might say they lack DEEP bass, especially for their size, however what they do is offer incredibly articulate, tuneful quick well integrated bass with no overhang. Also, again speaking of the 3100 and by implication the Everest, the drivers are very well integrated and offer a seamless presentation.

As for the soundstage being diffuse and having no obvious sound source, I have no notion of where you could have got that impression from. I mean, the whole raison d'etre for the DD horn in both the Everest and 3100 is specific image placement and it does work incredibly well. Soundstage width, depth and imaging is superb. I don't think the off center imaging works as well as advertised, but it does work and I can sit well off axis and still not have the image collapse into the near cabinet and on some recordings you really do get the proper effect. This a all a rather moot point for me though as I do not normally listen that way unless lying on the couch.. and then I am usually snoozing ... but it does work.

One nice benefit of the DD horn though is that the cabs can be placed very close to the sidewalls of a room with little detrimental effect as the music is driven into the center of the room.

All in all Mr. Rgrjt8, with all due respect, I think you might well have benefited from that commute to have a real listen to a properly set up system as I doubt what you heard was correct.

As for Mr. "Duke".. I wouldn't let some of these negative comments above, from those who have had little, or no, real first hand experience with the Everest discourage you that easily.. just look on these pages and you will find others who a quite happy to be "rolling their own"... :applaud:

Bernard

Lancer
08-24-2005, 06:48 AM
As far as lack of bass is concerned, yes you might say they lack DEEP bass, especially for their size, however what they do is offer incredibly articulate, tuneful quick well integrated bass with no overhang. Also, again speaking of the 3100 and by implication the Everest, the drivers are very well integrated and offer a seamless presentation.

Years ago we talked about the newer JBL systems, along with their design goals. The S3100 really is an impressive system. No, it doesn't have the LF response that an old L300/4333 would have for instance, but it beats the L300/4333 in pretty much every other aspect. And it better! The guy who designed both systems is progressing not regressing! :rotfl: The rule of thumb for the newer systems is to apply a few dB of EQ in the VLF for that traditional "North American" type of response.

Lancer
08-24-2005, 07:06 AM
As for the soundstage being diffuse and having no obvious sound source, I have no notion of where you could have got that impression from. I mean, the whole raison d'etre for the DD horn in both the Everest and 3100 is specific image placement and it does work incredibly well. Soundstage width, depth and imaging is superb.I wouldn't let another person's opinion of a loudspeaker bother you too much. Everyone knows that everyone else has bubblegum stuck in their ears so it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about how something sounds. ;)

herve M
08-24-2005, 08:58 AM

Had I wanted the pair I auditioned, it would have cost about 6500 dollars PLUS the cost of a good subwoofer.
On the other hand, a pair of 4344s would have run half that and no subwoofer needed.

Maybe it's sour grapes, but The Everests didn't strike me as a good value soundwise. I also feared that their interesting "sound signature" would become cloying in time.

The bass for everest is very impressive! the concert live sound ! better of bass reproduction. "lack of bass"??? yes, different of "car sound boum boum".

Hervé:D :D
everest diy, 4333a, 4406,3310....

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
For all you horn freaks, check this link and scroll down, down, down to the images. You'll find the Everest there twice, once mislabeled as a K2. The Everest looks quite conservative compared to many of the other designs.

All in all, I'd have to say that anything that requires as many bizarre design features as some of these...oh, what's the point?. :dont-know They must have been a blast to design, and they're certainly conversation starters for the owners.

Plus, if you're a horn lover, I'm sure they sound first rate. ;)

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Also, don't forget that the Everest was selected as Product of the Year by Stereo Sound in Japan in 1985. Gosh, was it really 20 years ago? Guess so.

clmrt
08-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Link?

Zilch
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't think the off center imaging works as well as advertised, but it does work....That's my experience thus far with the Everest horns, as well. There's a precise balance essential to getting it right, apparently, and I haven't achieved that. The instructions caution that only very minor changes in alignment are involved in tuning the soundstage.

I'm looking critically at the S3100 design and finding several key elements of Everest absent, in particular the 30° rotation of the woofer, and the precedence compensation provided by the 90° off-axis UHF driver. My S2600 horns came without throats, of course, so I'm dead in the water until that is resolved.

Regarding Everest bass, let the record reflect that Everest was sold with an optional subwoofer. I have no clue what that was, or if any were ever actually sold with them. 1985? B380?

Everest (4660, actually, 27-1/4" x 22-1/4") and S2600/S3100 (17-3/16" x 13-1/2") horns:

Bernard Wolf
08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Also, don't forget that the Everest was selected as Product of the Year by Stereo Sound in Japan in 1985. Gosh, was it really 20 years ago? Guess so.

And the S/3100 was awarded the same inabouts 1996.. thats when I first heard of them and fell for them just on looks alone.. don't ask why ... and BTW Titanium, we are not all "horn freaks" , as a matter of fact I have owned horns that I hated and got rid of - Lowther TP1 - the 3100's don't make you think horn when you hear them. I bet if you owned the Everest you would love em' ;).

Bernard

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Link?

Do I have to do everything? :p

http://www.dayton-wright.com/LINKS-DW.html

Titanium Dome
08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
... and BTW Titanium, we are not all "horn freaks"
Bernard

Of course, Bernard, I didn't mean you ;) , and even if I did, I'd mean it in the most affirming, complimentary, and robust sense. :yes:

Even I like a good horn in its place:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67020&postcount=1

And if two are good, four has to be TWICE as good. Wait 'til the neighbors hear!