PDA

View Full Version : inductor value in Altec Valencia 846B

bottleneck
08-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi

I need to get the inductor values in Altec Valencia 846b's.

Does anybody have the definate values, or the source of where to get them from?

Thankyou
Chris

avguytx
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Bump...

Does anyone know the values of these inductors? I'd be curious to know, too!

zipplok
01-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Try Bill at Great Plains Audio. (405)-789-0221.

avguytx
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks zipplok...I was just looking up their number! wow...lol

Storm
01-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Are you keeping the Valencias?

Let us know what Bill says.

Can you ask him his opinion on the 846 Valencias and about upgrading the crossovers?

Thanks.

-Storm.

avguytx
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Funny...I just talked to Bill for a little bit. He's fun to talk to. I asked his thoughts on changing (upgrading) crossovers and wiring in the Valencia's and his response was, "I don't really buy into all that audiophile stuff so that's a personal choice." I thought that was cool. I also asked him about their (the 846B's) upper end response which I thought mine was lacking in. I told him that they seemed to roll off pretty much after 15kHz but the manual says they are good to 20kHz. His reply was that that is pretty much all they can do and they don't "audibly" make it to 20kHz. Interesting.

I also asked him what he liked listening to and his response was (get this), "a cloth dome tweeter of some kind...I'm not big into horns". lol.

Not sure if I'm keeping them or not but they are definitely not going to be used much. For my listening room, they are too big (or the room is too small for the speakers...lol) which doesn't make them enjoyable. I'd rather listen to my Polk's than these. Bill agreed. I asked if a tube amp would sound better. He said that in all his years, he's not used tube amps on ALtecs or most any other horn speaker. Hmmm...

tis_true
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
A capacitance/inductance meter will get you in the ballpark. Compare with the one in the other channel and see how close they are (or aren't! :o: ).

A better way is to work your way backwards by determining the values of all the other components and (doing some calculations) you can see what the appropriate value should be for your inductor. I know that Altec used pretty basic network topologies without much attenuation, so it should be a standard butterworth (for example). You could probably get away with using a freeware program like the one at the Lalena site for crossover calculations.

I will offer this advise- don't change the inductors. Since inductance rarely shifts much, they are probably fine and the network "works" because of them. Replace that iron core with an air core and you will need to start from scratch. Changing the caps is probably a better performance yield as the values are probably off by now. AND- there are a lot of great caps on the market to choose from to suit your style. I find the jupiter caps (available at Soniccraft) are wonderful for some of the earlier metal horns. They are made of paper in beeswax and offer a sweet and laid back sound- kinda on the smooth side. A great match but a bit pricey.

Storm
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the update.

This confirms and answers my persisten thoughts that I have had for a while.

I will not go to tube amps.

I will not change the crossovers.

Glad to get an honest opinion from a professional. Glad I have not made any modifications to them.

If we can find a way to get those speakers to AZ, I am definately interested in purchasing them.

Thanks!

-Storm.

tis_true
01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I will not go to tube amps.
I will not change the crossovers.
Glad to get an honest opinion from a professional. -Storm.

Tube amps and crossovers (especially vintage ones) are very prone to shift. 'Changing' them? NO, I agree with you on that one- usually not a good thing. Replacing certain parts so they work properly? Definately YES. With regard to upgrading- it's highly subjective. Don't assume that anyone suggesting a caps upgrade is dishonest until you've tried some nice boutique ones yourself. Yet again- THAT is subjective too. Some people simply can't hear a difference because their hearing isn't sensitive enough to detect such subtle changes to a system. Perhaps some people don't have the associated audio components to highlight the changes. I assure you, though. Caps change the sound drastically, and can make or break a network.

Try this company for your shipping needs:

PHX
Name:FORWARD AIR, INCAddress: 2465 SOUTH 19TH AVENUE
BUILDING D-1
PHOENIX , AZ 85009
Phone: 602-252-7866Fax: 602-252-8211

Storm
01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
But like they alway say:

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Until my speakers refuse to play, then I will fix them.

Nothing wrong will happen to them, especially if I dont abuse them.

-Storm.

louped garouv
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
perhaps just because they "play" does not mean they are playing to their full, original performance levels....

Storm
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
And how on earth would I know that?

Jump into a time machine and listen to a pair at the factory, then hop back into the time machine and figure out what is wrong?

From listening to them as we speak, I cannot tell if there is anything wrong with them.

I push them to their limits all the time and they seem to be working great.

-Storm.

louped garouv
01-30-2007, 03:43 PM
maybe you could build some new, equilvalent networks and see how they perform

or you could take the networks to a tech if you don't have the time/tools/experience

avguytx
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I agree, Storm. I'll probably go ahead and change the caps and the L-pads since the L-pads were making the highs cut in and out when moved...even after cleaning. I can see how they would alter it. I'm going to take tis_true's advice and leave the inductors as they are and do the caps. I may even leave the original solid core wire, but, I do have enough around here to change the sire too for sh@t's and giggles. (lol).

Maybe we can figure a way to get them to AZ. Keep on the look out for a pair of SDA's out there and we might be able to work out a meeting point halfway.

Ciao....

Storm
01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Thats a possibility.

What speakers are you on the lookout for?

Thanks.

-Storm.

avguytx
01-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Polk SDA's. The larger ones. Like the 1.2's, 1.2TL's, SRS's, etc...

Storm
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I will keep my eye out and PM when I do.

Maybe there is a cheap freight from TX to AZ that someone can lend us a hand in finding.

Too bad you dont have the room for the Valencias - they are truly a show stopper.

Good luck with your other stuff.

If you were in AZ - the deal would have been closed a long time ago.

I wonder how Altec managed to ship these speakers and still make a profit.

-Storm.

spkrman57
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~thunderbobworld/horn.htm

In his website he has the values for the different crossovers you mention.

Regards, Ron

Storm
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I particularly like this quote:

I own a small electronic repair business. About 8 yrs.ago, when I was looking for a someone that could recone or refoam woofers for some of the speakers that I was fixing and upgrading, I came across Loyd at Spectrum Sound.

There was a totally different type of speaker that I had become interested in. I had first noticed them in a small speaker building book from the 60's, and I had noticed them being used behind the screen at a 70mm movie theater when Star Wars first came out. They were called Altec Landsing's " Voice of the Theatre" model A7.

When I first started doing business with Loyd, I was amazed to find out that he was an authorized Altec servicer and had A7's in his home. I had always liked the sound of good horn speakers since I had discovered the sound of Klipsch back in the late 70's.

Nothing sounds as lifelike as a good horn system.

When I checked out the Altecs, they blew the Klipsch LaScala's away.

The bass was a lot better and the kick was stronger with the overall dynamics being much stronger!

When you get used to the dynamics of A7's, normal speakers just don't sound right. Normal speakers still sound good, but you notice that the quiet passages aren't as quiet and the loud passages aren't as loud- in other words- the sound coming from the normal speakers is compressed.

avguytx
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~thunderbobworld/horn.htm (http://members.tripod.com/%7Ethunderbobworld/horn.htm)

In his website he has the values for the different crossovers you mention.

Regards, Ron

Great information, Ron! I appreciate it...I'll have to look into re-doing the entire network just for the heck of it. It's not a lot of money to do so.

Storm...the offer is still on for me to do your network if you want. At least we'll know! lol

SEAWOLF97
01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I particularly like this quote:

I own a small electronic repair business. About 8 yrs.ago, when I was looking for a someone that could recone or refoam woofers for some of the speakers that I was fixing and upgrading, I came across Loyd at Spectrum Sound.

There was a totally different type of speaker that I had become interested in. I had first noticed them in a small speaker building book from the 60's, and I had noticed them being used behind the screen at a 70mm movie theater when Star Wars first came out. They were called Altec Landsing's " Voice of the Theatre" model A7.

When I first started doing business with Loyd, I was amazed to find out that he was an authorized Altec servicer and had A7's in his home. I had always liked the sound of good horn speakers since I had discovered the sound of Klipsch back in the late 70's.

Nothing sounds as lifelike as a good horn system.

When I checked out the Altecs, they blew the Klipsch LaScala's away.

The bass was a lot better and the kick was stronger with the overall dynamics being much stronger!

When you get used to the dynamics of A7's, normal speakers just don't sound right. Normal speakers still sound good, but you notice that the quiet passages aren't as quiet and the loud passages aren't as loud- in other words- the sound coming from the normal speakers is compressed.

"Just like a#% holes, everyones got an opinion."

Hmmm....sounds like an opinion :blink:

Storm
01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Seawolf -

I never said it was facts. Of course, anything in life - even the news, is opinion. It is based on facts, however.

Read his bio.

I trust his opinion.

-Storm.

Zilch
01-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Altec A7 at home?

IMPRESSIVE!

:rotfl:

SEAWOLF97
01-30-2007, 08:05 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Altec A7 at home?

IMPRESSIVE!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

spwal
01-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Paul C didnt change my inductors... left them stock. said absolutely no need. all i can say is that my 19s are singing like a bird after changing hookupwire binding posts and capacitors.

would not mind claritycaps in the crossover however.

storm---

i would spend the 50 odd bucks extra and get clarity caps for the critical areas in your crossover. Until you change your caps (and your amp), you dont know what youve been missing!

louped garouv
01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Altec A7 at home?

IMPRESSIVE!

hey now....

;)

Zilch
01-31-2007, 06:42 PM
hey now....

;)WHOA!

Augmented high and low.

[NOW we're talkin'.... :thmbsup:

louped garouv
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
WHOA!

Augmented high and low.

[NOW we're talkin'.... :thmbsup:

what are you talking bout....

the CV SL36Bs are out of the frame, but there...

CONVERGENCE
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi

I need to get the inductor values in Altec Valencia 846b's.

Does anybody have the definate values, or the source of where to get them from?

Thankyou
Chris

you should rebuild the whole thing from scratch. Here is the schematic for
the N809-8A.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/crossOverNetworks/N809-8A%20Crossover%20Network%20Schematic.pdf

avguytx
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
you should rebuild the whole thing from scratch. Here is the schematic for
the N809-8A.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/crossOverNetworks/N809-8A%20Crossover%20Network%20Schematic.pdf

Thanks for that link...that will work perfectly! I agree...I'd rather build a new one and keep the original intact.

Thanks again!

Ciscokid
07-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that link...that will work perfectly! I agree...I'd rather build a new one and keep the original intact.

Thanks again!

Hey avguytx, just wondering if you ever built the XO?

Thanks,
ck

Zilch
07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
What XO?

The wrong one for 846B linked here?

846B Valencia's N800-8K is L-Pad and everything to the left of it here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=163687&postcount=659

Five components, total; the answer is 1.75 mH.

[O.K., six then. Takes two to make 21 uF. Seven if you want to be dead on 8.0 uF, probably.... :yes: ]

Ciscokid
07-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Zilch for pointing me in the right direction. I knew I had recently seen this and completely lost track of the link (recently rebuilt my PC).

Regards,
Danny