PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

57BELAIRE
08-06-2005, 07:16 AM
OK, you've been bragging about your prized setup to this individual, ad infinitum-ad nauseum....you know the guy...your boss, a colleague, the wiseass at the stereo store who disses JBL's because the don't carry the marque. The main guy you want to stop dead in his tracks and silence once and for all...you've only got one chance ....one track to make that first impression that leaves no doubt. What do you cue up...?

It may be a live recording, a studio master, or just sound effects....it's not about the performer or performance...it's that recording that makes your rig come alive.

From the lowest lows to the incisive mids all the way up through the silky highs....the dynamic range, explosive transients...it has all the things that just beg for the 'JBL treatment".

I'd love to hear what Forum members have in their arsenal for just that moment :D

OFD
08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
57, IMO if you want to blow his socks off, beg, borrow or steal London's Phase 4 Stereo recording of the 1812 Overture. No gimmicks - it's all real, from cannon to bells (where they went to Vienna to get the true sound of the bells). This review at http://home.earthlink.net/~jkhills/recordweirdo/issue13.html (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ejkhills/recordweirdo/issue13.html)
will give you someone else's insite. Just thinking about it makes the hair stand up on my body.

Another thing that makes my hair stand up is that my ex sold all my vinyl for next to nothing in a garage sale. :banghead: Now you've got me crying - damn.

Oh, and take no substitutes - it's gotta be Phase 4.

57BELAIRE
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
:applaud:

When I was dating my soon to be ex-wife, her father's fave was the 1812...the cannons were the talk of the neighborhood...and that was on a run of the mill stereo. :D

Titanium Dome
08-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Another thing that makes my hair stand up is that my ex sold all my vinyl for next to nothing in a garage sale. :banghead: Now you've got me crying - damn.

Oh, and take no substitutes - it's gotta be Phase 4.

Yes, yes, I have that, and a couple of other Phase 4 discs. Pretty damn good, no doubt. Luckily my ex didn't have any interest or access to the vinyl, but hey, she already had my balls. :spchless:

If you're limited to CDs, I'd head over to Telarc for a disc.

Don Mascali
08-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I like one of the good recordings of Pink Floyds "One of these days" It makes them understand what them BIG boxes are for.:applaud:

And oh yeah, I've got the Telarc 1812 on CD and vinyl. It's amazing to see a groove take a hard right. Impressive.

57BELAIRE
08-07-2005, 06:16 AM
I've heard Pink Floyd's "Darkside Of The Moon" will get those cochlear hairs really moving.

My no.1 cut, without a doubt, is from George Duke's cd "Is Love Enough?'
It's entitled "Into The Future (Prelude)"

It begins with a growling synth and adds various percussion layers while panning crystalline hanging chimes. Then, just when you settle in, a creshendo of string bass and tympany hits comes up from the floor and pins you in your seat. Then a myriad of orchestral bells and whistles punctuated by the the most incredible acoustic guitar track(mix) all the while swirling around the room.
The whole cut lasts for just over two minutes but feels like a Disney ride on steroids.

This cd is a tour de force in mixing and mastering, and I haven't heard anything come close in dynamic range.
Add to that the immense sound-stage of the Paragon ( plus 400/400 just short of triggering it's Delta-comp circuitry) and the first time listener is really quite unprepared...I like to call it "shock and awe!"

Most everyone (musicians) agrees...it's addictive!

I've tried other setups...Lancer 101's ,L100's, 4663's...even L300's....they just don't have the same magic.:D

yggdrasil
08-07-2005, 07:39 AM
My choice of music depends quite a lot of the taste of the person who is going to listen in.

I have a few Norwegian choices, which most of you have not heard of: Kari Bremnes - Ka drømte du om Anna?, Terje Rypdal, Kaizers Orchestra.

From the international albums - Pink Floyd of course, but also Roger Waters. 3 wishes from the Amused to death album is a rattling experience to everyone listening in.

Zilch: Have you tried it on your new sub?

Generally I am turning towards music with acoustic instruments.

Titanium Dome
08-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Generally I am turning towards music with acoustic instruments.

Johnny,

Me, too. In another thread I mentioned buying the Emmylou Harris DVD-A. Its intricate, facile sound is mesmerizing. I think discs like this really do show a side of audio reproduction that's overshadowed by the "boom and blow" school of audio playback.

To be fair, though, I'll admit I always play boom and blow stuff for people whose musical tastes and sophistication are unknown to me. It's a safer bet to make an impression.

However, if I think someone really knows what's going on, acoustic is what I use for their first listen on the Performance Series. :yes:

rgrjit8
08-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I've got to put my vote in for Billy Idol's "Charmed Life" cd. The track is called "Prodigal Blues." I'ts my current favorite torture test for speakers. Really shows off your low end capability.

I would swear that it ripples my floorboards like waves on a pond.

speakerdave
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I would think the best thing would be to play music the person values, whatver it is. Ask them to bring a CD or, better yet, find a well-recorded example of their kind of music.

David

Michael Smith
08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Here are a couple that come to mind

Alan Parsons Tales of mysteries and immagination of Edgar Alan Poe,there is a thunder storm on it which will scare the living suitcase out of him
Alan Parsons I Robot
Supertramp Crime of the Century
Have fun

Michael

Titanium Dome
08-07-2005, 06:05 PM
the difficulty is that there's a ton of great stuff. All good ideas so far, including speakerdave's, which makes too much sense to seriously consider. :p

speakerdave
08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
. . . . makes too much sense to seriously consider.

:p

OK

For classical female soloist, choral and orchestral all on one disc--Dvorak in Prague.

For classical solo string, Hillary Hahn Plays Back (partitas and sonatas)

For classical with lots of color and dynamics: Copeland Conducts Copeland

For party music with plenty of bass: Ernest Ranglin, Baseline.

For rock female vocalist: Natalie Merchant, Tiger Lily

Foregoing are all regular CD's

For jazz I would go to the SACD reissues of Miles Davis or the various xrcd reissues of Mulligan, Monk, Evans. For mainstream jazz the SACD reissue of Dave Brubeck Take Five.

David

57BELAIRE
08-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Johnny,

Me, too. In another thread I mentioned buying the Emmylou Harris DVD-A. Its intricate, facile sound is mesmerizing. I think discs like this really do show a side of audio reproduction that's overshadowed by the "boom and blow" school of audio playback.

To be fair, though, I'll admit I always play boom and blow stuff for people whose musical tastes and sophistication are unknown to me. It's a safer bet to make an impression.

However, if I think someone really knows what's going on, acoustic is what I use for their first listen on the Performance Series. :yes:

Right on Dome....that leads me to my next selection and the cd that inhabits my personal space these days....24/7

Alison Krauss and Union Station's live concert (just released) at the Louisville Palace.

All acoustic...stringed instruments...soaring harmonies and that first note from Jerry Douglas' dobro through those 375's will bring a shiver up your spine and a smile to your face. And if there was ever any doubt...

JBL reigns supreme:applaud:

pelly3s
08-08-2005, 08:26 AM
The cd I use most to show stuff off is the Alan Parson and Stephen Court - Sound Check and Sound Check 2. They both always seem to do the job

bbrown
08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I like to use some Edgar Meyer material:
Short Trip Home, with Meyer, Bela Fleck, Joshua Bell, Mike Marshal-- or one of his other albums/CDs.

I also have a great "Fathead" Newman disc.

It's like being in the room with those acoustic instruments.

Bruce