PDA

View Full Version : JBL's "Statement" speakers

sfellini
08-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Gang -

I've been spending some time in the "Library", catching
up on JBL's history (I'm a newcomer to JBL).

One thing that's struck me is how the "statement"
speakers for the home have, in the last 20 yrs, been
quite different from one another. From the Everest
(1985) to the earlier K2s (90-93) and now the K2 S9800s.

Did they sell commercially? Did they really represent
advances in sound, or just various engineering exercises?
Totally driven by the Japanese market (and what does that
mean)?

I doubt many of us have heard even one, let alone more
than one, but I'm just curious...

I guess another way of putting this is, if a pair showed up
for a good price, would anyone consider actually buying
a DD50000 or S5000 ? :D:D:D (I know some euro guys
here have built DIY Everests).

Steve.

Lancer
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I guess another way of putting this is, if a pair showed up
for a good price, would anyone consider actually buying
a DD50000 or S5000 ?I'd probably take a pair of M9500's if they were free, otherwise I'd pass. The Statement Systems simply aren't my bag.

<Geez, I hope no one sees my book "The Statement Systems from JBL - They are my bag.">

Titanium Dome
08-05-2005, 11:15 PM
I've come close to buying a pair of really nice K2 S9800s from a guy in the Bay Area at about half of original retail. But even at $13,500 for the pair, I didn't pull the trigger.

The reasons, in ascending order:

That's still a lot of money for two speakers.
My GF is very tolerant, but I'm not sure she's that tolerant. At the very least something else would have to go.
I'm just not that fond of horns, despite the magnificent set that adorns the K2s.
There's the supply chain issue: better amps, better pre/pro, better sources, etc.
I got the Performance Series and thought, "This is it. I need nothing else."

Admittedly, if I could get them at a steal, I'd go for it.

Zilch
08-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Interestingly, all of the JBL "Statement" systems have been two-ways.... :)

Oh, shut UP, Zilchster, they were NOT! :p

[Well, they WANTED to be, then.... ;) ]

Lancer
08-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Interestingly, all of the JBL "Statement" systems have been two-ways.... http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

They cost the least to build.

D'oh! :p

pelly3s
08-06-2005, 07:22 AM
everything should be a two way lol.

JBLnsince1959
08-06-2005, 07:33 AM
I've come close to buying a pair of really nice K2 S9800s from a guy in the Bay Area at about half of original retail. But even at $13,500 for the pair, I didn't pull the trigger.

Yes, I considered them seriosly also. Said no for amost the same reasons.

Personally, I think you can get some really nice older units ( or the performance series - IF you can find them) and then do DIY improvements to them for a lot less money and still have great sound.

Let's see now..., where can I get a copy of that book "The Statement Systems from JBL - They are my bag".........

Mr. Widget
08-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I'd probably take a pair of M9500's if they were free, otherwise I'd pass. The Statement Systems simply aren't my bag.

Well... I'd up the ante. I'd gladly take either of the earliest "Statements" I'd love a Paragon, and if I had an extra room would consider a pair or Hartsfields for kicks. The newer ones are certainly interesting design exercises, but I have my own statements and the industrial design of the newer "Statement" speakers just don't wow me.

Widget

Lancer
08-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Well... I'd up the ante. I'd gladly take either of the earliest "Statements" I'd love a Paragon, and if I had an extra room would consider a pair or Hartsfields for kicks.Yeah, I'd probably take them too so I could eBay them. Or maybe I'd just part them out. :hmm: The thought of shipping them whole doesn't appeal to me.

Mr. Widget
08-06-2005, 08:27 AM
You part out a Paragon and I'll come to your house with a JBL posse and we'll kick your butt.:rotfl:

Damn... I just reread the forum rules. Even under these circumstances threats of physical violence are not tolerated. I'll have to ban myself.:banghead:

Widget

johnaec
08-06-2005, 08:37 AM
I'll have to ban myself.:banghead:Isn't that kinda' like the fox guarding the henhouse? :p

'Ya gonna' catch Bo's "Jerry" gig tomorrow? I think I'm gona go early to drive him nuts during sound check...:D (Wadda' ya' mean - you can't hear that 2K peak?? Where's the lows??) ;)

John

Lancer
08-06-2005, 08:45 AM
You part out a Paragon and I'll come to your house with a JBL posse and we'll kick your butt.:rotfl: :nanana: :rotfl:

'Ya gonna' catch Bo's "Jerry" gig tomorrow? I think I'm gona go early to drive him nuts during sound check...:DOh good! :applaud: I would if I was closer. :p Thanks for taking care of that for us John. :)

Tom Loizeaux
08-06-2005, 09:09 AM
The current "Statement" speakers from JBL are high end consumer products. The K2 S9800 is a very nice consumer speaker...and I'd make room for a pair in my living room!
I've come to a point, however, where I feel enjoyment is related to value, and even at a "good price", these K2s are just not able to meet my criteria.

I'm content with the pair of 4343s because I found them for a very reasonable cost, and after restoring them and upgrading the crossovers, I am able to relish in the big, beautiful sound these put out. Part of my enjoyment is the classic aspect of these studio monitors, the knowledge I gained in my restoration process (and here on this forum), the fact that I worked on these myself and returned them to original (and maybe better) specs, and the fact that these are a great investment and VALUE! It just makes listening to them that much more enjoyable.
What challange is it to simply go out and spend tons of money for consumer high end speakers? The challange for me was to learn about all this, find my "ideal" speakers for little money, and make them great again.

Tom

Lancer
08-06-2005, 09:38 AM
What challange is it to sinply go out and spend tons of money for consumer high end speakers?None.
B-O-R-I-N-G! :p

boputnam
08-06-2005, 09:52 AM
'Ya gonna' catch Bo (at the) "Jerry Day" gig tomorrow? I think I'm gona go early to drive him nuts during sound check...:D (Wadda' ya' mean - you can't hear that 2K peak?? Where's the lows??) ;) Dammit, John!!! :bash:

Robh3606
08-06-2005, 09:54 AM
"Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
What challange is it to sinply go out and spend tons of money for consumer high end speakers?"

That is what makes DIY so much fun. You can make references from stock designs and stop there or you can steal and borrow from all the designs you see and try what you like in combinations that may not be marketable but can sound great!

Originally Posted by johnaec
'Ya gonna' catch Bo (at the) "Jerry Day" gig tomorrow? I think I'm gona go early to drive him nuts during sound check...http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif (Wadda' ya' mean - you can't hear that 2K peak?? Where's the lows??) http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

He John while your at Bo's gig hit the CD emphasis button while he's not lookin:p Took a while to figure that one out:applaud:

Rob:)

boputnam
08-06-2005, 10:04 AM
(Wadda' ya' mean - you can't hear that 2K peak?? Where's the lows??) ;) We will have SmaartLIVE watching our backs!

(NB: this FFT is a reading of someone else's speaker project, with NO eq applied...)

speakerdave
08-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Ya gonna' catch Bo's "Jerry" gig tomorrow?
Where and when is that?

David

MJC
08-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Well... I'd up the ante. I'd gladly take either of the earliest "Statements" I'd love a Paragon, and if I had an extra room would consider a pair or Hartsfields for kicks. The newer ones are certainly interesting design exercises, but I have my own statements and the industrial design of the newer "Statement" speakers just don't wow me.

Widget

Yes, a Paragon in the center and a Hartsfield in both front corners. I've heard THAT setup and it was great.

johnaec
08-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Where and when is that?

Davidhttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6650&highlight=Jerry

John

Mr. Widget
08-08-2005, 12:36 AM
'Ya gonna' catch Bo's "Jerry" gig tomorrow?

I did ban myself for the weekend... OK so I was out of town.:D

Hey Bo, sorry I missed the show, how did it go?

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
08-08-2005, 12:39 AM
We will have SmaartLIVE watching our backs!

(NB: this FFT is a reading of someone else's speaker project, with NO eq applied...)

So was that a project where you were the consulting Spin Doctor...for the acoustic team:rotfl:.

Too bad about the deep suckout , beat ya can't eq that out with your snazzy EQ...ya Dang Yankee.:blah: :help: :dont-know :help: :argue: :bash: :spchless: