PDA

View Full Version : E 145 cone changes

franz
08-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi!

today I got a pair of E 145s . Really a physically amazing woofer. Have to wait for its sound yet!
Its cone and edge however definitely looks different than the ones found in a K 145.
Instead of a wide coated paper edge this one has a double half roll surround made from impregnated cloth. The cone itself is lighter /greyish in colour compared to the K 145s black.
After reviewing all my documentation I found that the E 145 has the same cone as the K 145 on almost all pics. e.g. the cabaret series folder has a nice pic of it.
The last brochure featuring the E series however shows a different surround that looks like the one in my woofers. The pic is too small to see it clearly though.
I am puzzled! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blink.gif Bogus / aftermarket recone kit??

Who can shed a light on this ?
Did JBL at some point in time change the cone assembly of the E 145??
If so this must have happened in the last years before the E series was discontinued.
Thanks for any help in clearing this up !!

Franz

clmrt
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
My e145 pair has the "w" surround you first describe...

?

johnaec
08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
We went through this discussion several months ago and determined JBL had at least 2 and possibly 3 versions of cone assemblies they used in the K/E145 series. A search would probably turn it up...

John