http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043846139&category=3276

:hmm: :hmm:

Another quality JBL product offered only in Japan?? :banghead:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Ken Pachkowsky
08-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Dog

These are quite common in Japan.

See them for sale on HIFIDO site once and a while.

They are pretty aren't they?

Ken

JBL Dog
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Yeah, they caught my eye for sure! I wouldn't mind having a set of them to add to the ridiculous amount (according to my wife) of JBL parts I currently have.

:nutz:

I guess this is a modern version of the C41 Angelus that housed an 075.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1957/page7.jpg

Also on that page are the rare Bel-Aire D42216's. I managed to find a mirror imaged set about a year ago and I'm in the process of refurb-ing them. I will post pics with the completed project.

Oldmics
08-28-2003, 06:19 PM
OH YOU JBL DOG "U". I have been searching for the right side tweeter enclosure for my unmated walnut OR mahogany Bel-Aires for a LONG time now.Let me know if you stumble across another so that I can also compleat my stereo image Bel-Aire collection.I knew they are out there,but you probably have the only one on the planet.Good for you!!!! It is also a nice addition on top of a Hartsfield to enhance the mid and hi frequency sections.Ever seen EVs version of the Bel-Aire which is called "The Skylark"? I gots me one of them thare critters also.Now if I could just find those pesky Harlans!!!! Best regards,Oldmics

JBL Dog
08-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey Oldmics!

I knew I had something special with a mirrior imaged set of Bel-Aires. Why is the right side so difficult to find? Did JBL only make a right side when a stereo set was ordered?

:hmm:

I found them on Ebay last summer "buy-it-now" from a seller that didn't know a thing about them. To date, he's my favorite Ebay seller!

:D

I'm surprised he completed the transaction because he was ambushed with e-mails from collectors all over the world willing to pay alot more than what I paid. He suggested that I pay for them right away if I wanted them. A trip to Paypal and they were mine.

They had several issues. Some idiot decided to paint the cream colored grill cloth black. He/she didn't even bother to remove the grills from the cabinet when it was time to paint! :no: Paint dripped are all over the cones of the D216's and the part of the cabinet that is covered by the grill. I bought them as a full range 8" (D216 only). I have the parts sitting around to make them a 2-way D42216 (add N2400, 075).

In addition to the paint all over the cones of the D216's, both voice coils rub. The baskets are in mint condition. I am reconing the D216's with an aftermarket kit. I will search for a clean set to keep them original.

One of the cabinets was in near mint condition. The other had some veneer gouges on one side. Both fronts are in great condition. I just got an e-mail this evening that they will be stripped and refinished this weekend.

I've been looking for vintage grill cloth. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. :thmbsup:

I am familiar with the EV Skylark. I was bidding on a single last year but didn't get it. Someone had a single Harlan up on the "bay" last year. The cabinet was in poor condition on the Harlan.

I will post pics as soon as the Bel-Aires are complete.

JBL Dog
08-30-2003, 02:09 AM
I just got this picture from the cabinet refinisher. You may know him as a member of this forum, audiobeer. As he said in his e-mail "raw cabinets, ready to be bleached!"

Thanks bud!

:cheers:

JBL Dog
08-30-2003, 03:52 PM
More pics of the Bel Aires.

JBL Dog
08-30-2003, 03:55 PM
This message comes from JBL Dog:band:

4313B
08-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Very cool :yes:

GordonW
08-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Dayam... now THAT'S REAL WOOD!! :yes:

Too bad there ain't any trees left to get this kind of wood from anymore, for the most part... :(

Regards,
Gordon.

Earl K
08-31-2003, 07:51 AM
Beautiful !!! :)

JBL Dog
08-31-2003, 03:00 PM
kinda cool!! :yes:

Audiobeer
08-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Well let's have a poll. Should Dog leave that Satin cellulose Production Laquer look or a wet sand hand rubbed look?:banghead:

Oldmics
08-31-2003, 09:19 PM
WOW,NICE PICS !!!!!!! O.K. I am in envy.Thats a good thought about weather or not the right side tweeter was sold as a stereo pair only.I sure hope this is not the case as this will make them even harder to find. As for grill cloth perhaps a sacrafical cabinet from eBay.Since they are small grills the entire front section of grille cloth from a beat up lowboy could serve as a donar for both grilles on the Bel Aires.On my units the grille cloth color and the coloring of the outer trim band are both different.I think one has come from a location where heavy smoking was a factor as one of them has a really pretty golden hugh (nicotine stained?) on the grille material and the outer trim bands.The other has a cleaner looking grille and silver outer trim band.Its the same cloth just a different appearence.First time I ever knew that smoking could improve on something.I assume that audiobeer did the little footies for the cabinets also.Nice work there audiobeer.In those pictures is that a Minigon for restoration that is partially covered up???Inquiring minds want to know.Best regards,Oldmics

Audiobeer
08-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Minigon? I wish. If I had a place for a pair and some nice glass amps I dedicate a room for just that. actualy that was a a monitor with a side of veneer replaced. It's a 4311B. Those little footies were a pain. They are filled with a fiber just like a cigarette filter. It's place right over the screw holding the foot to the cabinet. I'm going to use wood filler and then felt over that.

scott fitlin
08-31-2003, 11:06 PM
Nice work Dog. leave it the way it is! You do gorgeous wood staining! :D

JBL Dog
08-31-2003, 11:08 PM
I owe you big! :cheers:

(two votes from the "Dog-House" say "leave it alone").

Oldmics:

The "sacrificial cabinet" thing has already crossed my mind. I have an old EV Baronet (one only) that has some cool retro grill cloth. Because it is so small, I would only have enough to do one grill of the Bel Aires. I do have a lowboy in the basement, but the grill cloth is aftermarket "Radio Shack Black." :no: Most of time, if the cabinet is beat up, so is the grill cloth. :yes:

Audiobeer tipped me off to this site for retro grill cloth for old radios:

http://www.grillecloth.com/index.html

I'm looking for something close to this style of original:

JBL Dog
08-31-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
Nice work Dog. leave it the way it is! You do gorgeous wood staining! :D

Audiobeer did the work. He's the refinish guru! :yes:

And you're right, the wood staining work he did is gorgeuos! :p

scott fitlin
08-31-2003, 11:33 PM
Audiobeer you do gorgeous wood staining! But, that really does look terrific!

GordonW
09-01-2003, 10:41 PM
JBL Dog, take a look here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=48&SO=2&filter=vintage+cloth

I'm thinking one of those might get close?

Regards,
Gordon.

JBL Dog
09-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Next, grill cloth.

JBL Dog
09-03-2003, 02:18 PM
here it is...

The 8" driver is a D216 with an aftermarket kit.

scott fitlin
09-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Those look great! How do they sound? :D

JBL Dog
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
I haven't mounted the crossovers and wired 'em up yet. That probably won't happen for a few days.

Audiobeer
09-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by JBL Dog
I haven't mounted the crossovers and wired 'em up yet. That probably won't happen for a few days.

Bring on the Dolly Partons!!!:eek:

JBL Dog
09-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Are we ready to tackle to refurb of the 4430's??

:duck:

Audiobeer
09-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Why not! As long as your not in a terrible hurry and you pull the drivers!

Audiobeer
09-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Besides the Bully needs something to chew on......that little fat bas$#@&!:banghead:

JBL Dog
09-04-2003, 11:29 AM
The empty cabs are sitting on your driveway! :yes:

:die: Your "bully" is our little secret. If the word gets out, vintage JBL cabinets from around the world will show up at your doorstep!

JBL Dog
09-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
Those look great! How do they sound? :D

I finally "wired-n-fired-up" the Bel Aires tonight.

The sound quality is much better than I expected. :D They are very clean and crisp. The bass is weak (to be expected from a single 8" driver), but tolerable. It's obvious JBL never intended them to be used as a "loudspeaker". If I was going to use them as a everyday speaker system, I would definitely incorporate a subwoofer. Oldmics is on the right track with using them to supplement the high end of his Hartsfields. :yes:

Mr. Widget
09-30-2003, 10:58 PM
I bet those Bel-Aires would be great retro surround speakers!

Picture this, a Philco Predicta on your Metragon with Bel-Aires as the rears... Ok maybe I'm a bit whacked.

JBL Dog
09-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Widget:

The Philco is "cool" retro! :yes: Does it work? :hmm:

A bit whacked? Well, uh, yeah.... maybe a little! :D

I picked up a Minigon (both sides) a few weeks ago on the bay. According to UPS tracking, it showed up at the St. Louis hub and I'll get it later today. It will be another Audiobeer "do-over" when the time is right. I guess I need to find a Paragon to complete the trifecta. :yes: I'm not quite ready to shell out the $10k+ for a good one! :no:

Okay, a JBL 5:1 "retro" surround system. :confused:

Bel-Aires would be cool for rears (placed on end tables, of course) C34's as mains (loaded D130, 175DLH) and a Minigon (L/R wired mono) sitting on shelf above the big screen for the center channel.

Any other ideas?

Mr. Widget
09-30-2003, 11:50 PM
"The Philco is "cool" retro! Does it work?"

Unfortunately this one is not mine, I snagged the image off the net to illustrate the Predicta for those youngsters who may not remember them.

As far as working ones go, most that I have seen work rather poorly these days, and only in B&W, but there is an outfit in NY I believe that does a heart by-pass and pops in a color tube. Sure it's a bit pricey, but what a conversation piece, and besides those large rear projection numbers that so many folks have are butt ugly! Get a revamped predicta with a pair of opera glasses.

Oldmics
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Okay, a JBL 5:1 "retro" surround system.
My turn,Center channel-Paragon, front right and left-Hartsfields (toploaders),rears - choice of Minigons (probable not since they look cooler together rather than apart) or Bel-Aires,sadly not a matched stereo pair of Bel-Aires as some lucky DAWGS have.Carver Sunfire sub.Now if I could just get all of thoses tube amps working simultaneously.I'll post pics when done.Best regards,Oldmics

boputnam
10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Unfortunately this one is not mine... Yea, but you alone could fab one! :yes:

Mr. Widget
10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Yea, but you alone could fab one! :yes:

Hate to admit it, but I have pondered that sick thought! We'll keep it on the back burner for now.

JBL Dog
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Oldmics:

The Metregon crossed my mind for a center channel. I thought it might too much. Your choice of a Paragon tells me it's not! :D

Okay, JBL 5:1 "retro" surround sound, version II, to be enjoyed until I've lost my hearing or death..... whichever comes first.

4343's mains, UREI 815(R) center (first generation, pre JBL) and 4430's for the rears. I haven't been able to find a left side for the 815, would make one helluva center channel!

:rockon1:

The Minigon showed up this morning. A Paragon will complete the trifecta!

Alex Lancaster
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
With the cabinetry I have seen You guys do, You should be making "Authentic Reproduction" Paragons; The components are not that difficult to get, except for the horns, You will have to have them cast, I guess. Put them on the "audiophile" pages, specially in Japan, get about 1000% profit.

I expect a 3% cut for the idea.

Alex.

Micha748
09-09-2005, 07:14 PM
here it is...

The 8" driver is a D216 with an aftermarket kit.

Jesus, I donītībelieve, what kind of color is your Metrogon on the foto?
Very nice looking...

JBL Dog
09-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Jesus, I donītībelieve, what kind of color is your Metrogon on the foto?
Very nice looking...

Very dark Walnut, possibly Mahogany.

Audiobeer
09-10-2005, 12:22 AM
As I recall you paid well over market value for these! :p