PDA

View Full Version : Could someone describe the expected sonic difference between 1" and 2"?

scorpio
08-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Sorry guys, I tried to search a little in the archive but did not really found what I am looking for.

I am very happy with the sound of my 2-ways system, driven by a flea amp, it uses a LE 85 from 800Hz up. The horns I build allow usage of 1 or 2 inches drivers, and I keep being titillated by trying a 2440 or something similar. However, I am also somewhat reluctant by the need to add a tweeter on top and the added complexity of tuning all this.

Could anyone describe the experience of going from 1 to 2 inchers, specially when listening as I do at home and family acceptable sound levels, not trying to reproduce live concert level?

It is very difficult to find this sort of equipment, let alone listen to any proper set up using it in my neck of the woods, hence this somewhat silly question.

Thanks!

JBLnsince1959
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
The best I can say is to simply try it and see how it sounds. I know that's not what you want to hear, but give it try.

Akira
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
i have always liked the 2440/1 series of driver because they had the image size of a 2" and the sweet sound of a 1" in other words, the shear velocity of a 2" without the harshness. i have used them and the entire lineup of 2" and most 1" drivers (JBL & others) and almost always prefer the sound of a 1" driver, except the 2441. i have never used them in a home application, but i would imagine the lower frequency demand would also favor a 2".

Tom Loizeaux
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Many people say the 2" throat drivers will go a little lower, sound a little smoother, get a little louder, but won't go quite as high as the 1" throat drivers.
I only have personal experience with the 1" configurations...and use 2405 slots with all of them!
If I went with the larger compression drivers, I would probably go with a pair of TAD 4001s, especially if I wasn't going to use a slot tweeter, because they have an outstanding high end for a 4" diaphragm.

Just my $.02

Tom

pelly3s
08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
375 on a Smith Horn :jawdrop: sorry i couldnt control myself. My favorite 2" made though is an EV NDYM 6 its just amazing it just costs a lot of money.

Lancer
08-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Additional information

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4410