PDA

View Full Version : JBL grille cloth

JBL Dog
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Finally got a few grilles done with the cloth Steve Gonzales found us a while back. Very pleased with the results!

Lancer
08-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Outstanding! :)

Titanium Dome
08-01-2005, 01:21 PM
They look terrific. :thmbsup:

Zilch
08-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Tell us how, please.

Steve showed the hotmelt method here.

That how you did it?

JBLnsince1959
08-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Looks great....congrads

JBL Dog
08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Tell us how, please.

Steve showed the hotmelt method here.

That how you did it?

I had the work done by the man that does all my speaker repair, etc. I talked with him a few minutes ago and he told me has just joined the forum. His forum name is woofer dude. It looks like he used some form of a "hot-glue" adhesive based on the picture I posted below. If you wish to contact him about doing some grille work, send him a PM. He is heading on a two-week vacation so he may not get back to you right away. audiobeer has also used him for grille work if you need a second opinion praising his work.

Ken Pachkowsky
08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Just like down-town!

They look great bud.

A photo depiction of the process would be great.

Ken

JBL Dog
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Close-up:

edgewound
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I betch'a he did it with a spray adhesive such as 3M Super 90 or an equivalent, stretching and pressing the fabric along the backside of the grille frame, and then trimming the excess with a single edge razor blade. That's how I do it in my shop. You'd have to be crazy, stupid or a little of both to do it with hot melt glue.

Yep... those look pretty good.

Edgewound

Zilch
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
You'd have to be crazy, stupid or a little of both to do it with hot melt glue.Or highly skilled. :p

That ain't me, tho. I make big mess with hot melt, typical.... :o:

MJC
08-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I had the work done by the man that does all my speaker repair, etc. I talked with him a few minutes ago and he told me has just joined the forum. His forum name is woofer dude. It looks like he used some form of a "hot-glue" adhesive based on the picture I posted below. If you wish to contact him about doing some grille work, send him a PM. He is heading on a two-week vacation so he may not get back to you right away. audiobeer has also used him for grille work if you need a second opinion praising his work.

Guess I'll change to hot melt glue. I had been using Super 90 spray adhesive, it holds for a while then comes loose.

norealtalent
08-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I betch'a he did it with a spray adhesive such as 3M Super 90 or an equivalent, stretching and pressing the fabric along the backside of the grille frame, and then trimming the excess with a single edge razor blade. That's how I do it in my shop. You'd have to be crazy, stupid or a little of both to do it with hot melt glue.

Yep... those look pretty good.

Edgewound

Yup, I am crazy but farrrr from stupid. I've tried alot of adhesives and hot glue is the quickest, simpleist and longest lasting method I've found. It's like anything else, practice makes perfect.

Mr. Widget
08-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Guess I'll change to hot melt glue. I had been using Super 90 spray adhesive, it holds for a while then comes loose.

Do you coat the fabric and the frame? I do and have never had a problem. I do usually use a few well placed staples too though.

I have an industrial hot glue gun that has a longer open time than the lower temp home units sold at the hardware store... I can see how hot glue could work, but even with the longer open time it would certainly require some ..."talent".;)

Widget

jandregg
08-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Very nice. Would you post a picture of the reverse side of the grill. Pretty please.

John

edgewound
08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Yup, I am crazy but farrrr from stupid. I've tried alot of adhesives and hot glue is the quickest, simpleist and longest lasting method I've found. It's like anything else, practice makes perfect.

I'm glad it works for you:) ... although I've never had a drop of spray glue burn the living hell out of my skin.:biting: ..but that was my bad. The web-spray type of adhesive works great and lasts a long time if you work the fabric to the glue when it's still somewhat wet and soak it through so it's not just grabbing the surface. I've been doing it for 17 years without a return so it must work pretty good.

Edgewound

bryantkenneth
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Whatever was used it looks good!

Don't see Steve G. around here anymore?

Audiobeer
08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Nice Dog! Very Nice! I wish i had more notice so I could get mine done. I'll call you when I head up that way!