PDA

View Full Version : Glue for LE20 trim rings?

johnaec
07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm cannibalizing some LE20's out of one set of S99's to put in another. I've got the trim rings off just fine using a hair dryer and putty knife, but would like to know the recommended glue to use when putting them back on, so that if need be, they could be removed in the future using the same process.

Thanks for any recommendations - John

norealtalent
07-30-2005, 09:12 PM
There are numerous spray tack adhesives available at Lowes, Home Depot as well as arts and craft shops. They usually have instructions for both permanent and removable procedures. I've had really good luck with them for foilcals.

lgvenable
07-31-2005, 04:30 AM
try 3M 77, or a more aggressive adhesive is their 99. Both are spray applied. The 99 puts on a thicker stream(different spray head), the 77 puts on a lighter spray. I've used both, and they work equallly well. Both should respond to a heat gun to decrease adhesion and pry apart if needed. Use toluene to remove if needed, as both are toluene soluble.:D
larry

johnaec
07-31-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys. I was also thinking spray adhesive, but didn't know where to start.

John

lgvenable
08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
another good non-contact type ps (requiring one spray application to one side) would be 3M # 76 spray adhesive. Again, spray it, let it build high tack, and then place the 2 pices togather and hold till bonded (with some amount of force holding the structure to gather). The adheisve will build tack as the solvent goes away, so spray it, and allow 60 to 90 secs to build tack. Hevaier applications might require a longer dry time to build tack. Try a test sample to get your technique down prior to doing the reaL mccoy.
good luck :D
larry