PDA

View Full Version : Re: Gordon on amps

speakerdave
07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Since the other thread is closed, and I think Gordon had some interesting things to say, I decided to transfer this subject to a new thread as a way of continuing the discussion and letting Gordon know there is interest in his offer of more. I say anyone who can find value in the tube amps from a 50's Magnavox console is a reviewer with spirit.

After reading his post I dug out a 6230 I had sitting waiting for use in another application (I hadn't even listened to it) and hooked it up to the 4333A's. He's right about them. It's even better than my recollection of the 6260. Very nice little amp. Although only rated at 75 wpc into 8 ohms, it does everything I need it to do with these 4333A's when playing below the neighbor annoyance threshold (summer day, windows open). This was an eBay item; previous owner had used it in his studio, so it is not road kill. So, thanks for that, Gordon.

But I'm not so sure I feel grateful for the doubts about the Mac MC2200 (which have been creeping in of late anyways). I have no trouble hearing a difference. I will have to go back and forth a bit to see if I can articulate it.

David