PDA

View Full Version : Speakers as furnishings/furniture

edgewound
07-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I think a big problem at JBL Consumer is getting a clue that generic looking vinyl black boxes is the LAST thing the lady of the house wants in her living room. Have we forgotten that not only do the vintage JBL speakers sound larger than life when called upon...but they are also nice pieces of furniture. Who would buy a Paragon, Metregon, Hartsfield, Olympus, et. al. if they weren't fine pieces of furniture also? Look at the Revel's that Mr Widget posted yesterday...pretty visual statements of artsy craftsmanship, I'd say. This is where Bose is kicking JBL's butt in the marketing arena. The woman of the house can't really see Bose getting in the way of her decor...and that makes them "sound better" to her eyes. Maybe JBL Consumer is trying to capitalize on a legacy that the newer generations have no clue about...except car speakers... GEEZUS...the magazine ads have small print touting the JBL legacy....what youngster reads that? These marketers have to get a clue...and work hand in hand with the designers/engineers to make a product that will make a visual impression as well as sonic....to compel people to want to buy the product. We also can't forget that Harman is a multinational conglomerate that has made stockholders filthy rich over the last 10-20 years....because they keep counting their pennies. What's the answer?

Edgewound

rek50
07-28-2005, 05:50 PM
No Vinyl for me. Mine all look like "Plant Stands" minus the wet ring...

norealtalent
07-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Partial
I think a big problem at JBL Consumer is getting a clue...We also can't forget that Harman is a multinational conglomerate that has made stockholders filthy rich over the last 10-20 years....because they keep counting their pennies. What's the answer?

Edgewound

Education, education, education... that's the ONLY answer. As long as people keep buying it, they(whomever "they" may be) will keep building it. When junk is no longer profitable, no one will build it. Want to stop Walmart from raping your community, stop people from buying there. Want to stop Mattel Hasbro etc from endorsing slave wages in foreign countries, stop buying their products. Want to stop ANYTHING? Stop supporting it. I know, much easier said than done. I am reminded EVERY time I VOLUNTARILLY jump in my car and press the GAS pedal!!!Nonetheless, until WE stop supporting all the mechanisms on this world that we disapprove of, the mechanisms will continue to propagate and people of this planet will continue to be slaves of OUR own demise. What's the answer? Education, education, education and this forum is a wonderful means by which we all can share our knowledge and experience as well help bridge those continental gaps. I'd rather pay 10 times more and have a pair of speakers with the quality of a Paragon, Hartsfield, L300, 4343 or the highly WAF rated 250ti. Although WAY out of my budget, I can't wait to audition a nice pair of K2's. Of course, they are a completly different league compared to most any other Harmon products. Thank you all for sharing.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif