PDA

View Full Version : Parts Express pro stuff...

clmrt
07-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Specifically,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-080

WinISD'd it against corrected E145 values. Seems a good clone, no?

Except for group delay...

*Flame suit on*

:thnkfast:

Regis
07-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Mmmmm..... Took a look at the specs, the motor is only 109 ounces making it about 6.8 pounds. Kinda lightweight for a 15", doncha' think? :p The Xmax is only 6 mm, vs 7 mm for the E145 and while they claim it goes down to 36 hz, vs the 35 hz of the E145, it makes me wonder how the Parts Express woof performs against the 22 pound + motor of the E145. "...The E145 delivers pure bass notes at thunderous levels with the high efficiency and power capacity that musicians have come to expect from JBL loudspeakers...". The only caveat is if the motor in the Dayton is of the newer Neodymium type, thus the lower weight, but for $109 each, it makes me wonder. Maybe I'm wrong on all this and this speaker will actually perform just as well, but why are we all into JBL?

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/eseries.pdf

Lancer
07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
*Flame suit on*:flamed:

All transducers want to be a JBL when they grow up...

Robh3606
07-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Might work but they are not the same. Overhung vs. Underhung coils as well as MM diferences. Just quessing these go lower but don't have the quickness of the 145's.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
07-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Might work but they are not the same....

The cones are different too... the E145 has a straight cone, the PE has a curvilinear cone.

They are simply different beasts. The PE may be decent... it may be more than decent.... or it may be crap. It will also depend on your application and expectations.

Widget

clmrt
07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
This was more of a "hey lookit" kind of thing. If I had a friend in need, I'd have fun knocking together a big stupid 2-way or 3-way with these. Hack, of course, but hey.

pelly3s
07-28-2005, 04:42 PM
The Dayton stuff is great for the money, actually great for a lot more money. I have worked with a lot of their stuff (mostly mids and tweets) but I didnt have experience building a sub with the Titanic MKII it was a single 12" box tuned to 28Hz, it could have gone lower but there wasnt much of a need. It did a great job when it came to shaking the house. My next project is actually going to be to build something with some Eminence Lab12's, I just got a pair of them so I am looking forward to that.

The woofer you have linked looks a lot like an Eminence frame, Im sure it gets plenty loud and sounds pretty damn good. The E145 is a very interesting speaker, and personally there arent too many woofers that i have heard that touch it.

JBLnsince1959
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
The E145 is a very interesting speaker, and personally there arent too many woofers that i have heard that touch it.

10-4

bbrown
07-29-2005, 06:05 PM
If you are going to do something with a pair of LAB12s, there is a Tom Danley design that uses a pair. 41x41x18 inches. It will do 16Hz.

I can dig out the link on the patent app if you want. Very simple box too.

Bruce

louped garouv
07-29-2005, 07:49 PM
pretty pretty please..... can we have it??? different from the LABhorn design? my understanding is that they are kinda tough to fabricate for a novice....

simple box sounds promising.....

Rusnzha
07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
All transducers want to be a JBL when they grow up...

I built my first subwoofer using the Dayton PF-460-8, the 18 inch incarnation of PF-385-8. I used it for about a year so I had plenty of time to get to know it. I replaced it with a 2241H and the differences were immediately obvious. The Dayton matched the JBL in low end depth and impact. The subharmonics, however, from the 2241H sweetened the rest of my system in a way that seemed to go far beyond just changing a woofer. Also, certain problems went away after I made the switch. On the Dayton a note one step from another note could have a huge difference in volume. On the JBL, bass notes played at a consistant volume from one to the next. I paid 3 times as much for the 2241H. Was it worth it? You better believe it!

pelly3s
07-29-2005, 09:59 PM
bbrown if you can get me that link that would be great. i dont have the time or the patience to build a labhorn. i was going to just go for the sono tube approach and see how it turned out. i had good luck with that and an Adire Shirva. There is just something about the LAB12 that is screaming tons of bass :D

tomt
07-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Regis-- Mmmmm..... Took a look at the specs, the motor is only 109 ounces making it about 6.8 pounds. 22 pound + motor
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````

is this just the magnet (109 ounces), not the motor?

bbrown
07-30-2005, 12:22 PM
You need a special tiff viewer to look at the patent office site. I only have this in 24 separate files. As someone pointed out to me, you could probably build them for yourself and NOT get into trouble. Just don't try to sell them.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040238268%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040238268&RS=DN/20040238268

Bruce

Morgan Sloth
07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
here is the link to the tiff reader

http://www.bravaviewer.com/downloadreader.htm

bbrown
07-30-2005, 06:01 PM
I got a copy of AlternaTIFF, also a free browser plugin:

http://www.alternatiff.com

aust-ted
07-31-2005, 12:31 AM
here is the link to the tiff reader

http://www.bravaviewer.com/downloadreader.htm

Morgan

Need some help. I downloaded and installed the tiff viewer you suggested above. But when I clicked on the images button on the patent page I still got no images. Can you advise a dumbo where he went wrong

Regards
Ted

bbrown
07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
I would try the other viewer (alternaTIFF). It has worked great for me.

aust-ted
08-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Got it to work using your second viewer but had to temporarily change my Windows security settings for the Tiff viewer to download.

Looks as if the second viewer is embedded in Internet Explorer which is why it works. Funnily enough when I opened the saved Tiff images the first software opened them. Can understand why USPO uses Tiff images though. They appear to be very efficient in terms of memory requirements, especially the pics.

Thanks for the help Bruce. Now I have just got to absorb what Tom Danley has invented here. Always impressed by his work.

Now can probably read some other patents which have eluded me in the past though I believe a lot of the old ones which are of interest to us are not available on the USPO site. Presumably they do not have time to scan them.

Regards
Ted

pelly3s
08-01-2005, 05:08 AM
I luckly didnt need the viewer. God bless having a mac. That does seem like a very interesting design

bbrown
08-01-2005, 05:27 AM
We thought of putting two of them underneath the stage in our chapel at the school where I work. It is an awful acoustical nightmare that is used for many types of musical performances, and the subs would be nice.

I think that they would work fine in a horizontal position about ten inches off the floor.

I don't think these guys are bringing this to market either.

Bruce

TimG
08-01-2005, 11:41 AM
The product has been on the market for some time. http://www.servodrive.com/SPL-bdeap32.html
However, Tom Danley has left that company and started a new company.
Check out the output on this model http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/downloads/Danley_PB-12_Spec_Sheet.pdf

pelly3s
08-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Danley has designs some amazing boxes. Ive heard the PB-12 and its insane. Hmmm maybe I could build two for my Labs 12's :applaud: I am still leaning toward a Sono tube only because its easy

bbrown
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
They can't have had that one model on the market very long. They only did the patent thing in Dec of 04.

I was trying to find the patent drawings for the other one (PB-12) but can't come up with it. Then I would know how to build it. It can't be too difficult.