PDA

View Full Version : Info on the 406Z

albaners
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello,ANybody have a spec sheet on the 406Z.It's the speaker from the Bolero cabinet which had a passive radiator also.Is the 406Z a full range speaker.I see there was no high freQ. horn installed in the cab..Thanks if anyone can help from AL

Tom Brennan
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Info on the 406 is hard to come by. It was not fullrange but crossed at 3000hz on early Boleros and 2000hz on later ones such as mine pictured here.

It's an interesting driver, uses a 3" voicecoil and the motor from the 414 12" woofer. The cone has a dual profile; first straight sided near the center and then concave towards the outside. I've been told by an old WE engineer who knows his horns that Altec spent quite an effort on this driver to get the voicing and dispersion they wanted.

All in all the 406 is a most formidable 10" driver and it makes excellent vocals and retains the family "technicolor" midrange sound of the larger Altecs.

Don McRitchie
07-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I believe the motor on the 406Z is also the same as that used on the 803B/416 15" drivers. The "Z" means nothing beyond the fact that it was installed in a finished system instead of being sold as a raw component. Altec saved a couple of bucks on "Z" drivers by not including the cosmetic magnet covers that were installed on drivers sold individually.

albaners
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Oh thanks Tom,I read the spec sheet wrong and didn't see the horn so thought possibly it could be full range.I'm going to wait for the 425-8h II.I wrote to greatplainsaudio.com but they don't have any right now.
The 425-8H is really rare.I only saw them on ebay once in like 2 years unless i missed some that were listed is most likely the case.Have a great day.