PDA

View Full Version : L60T // L20T3 Tweeter Variations

JDG2
07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a pair of L60T JBL's circa 1986 or so and one of the tweeters is not working. The number on the magnet is 035T. I recently aquired a pair of L20T3's and one of those tweeters is not working as well, the number on those magnets is 035TIA. Are these tweeters interchangeable? If they are not the same could someone please explain the difference? I would like to restore both pairs to original condition if possible but I need information on how to go about accomplishing this.
Also could someone give me a quick primer on these model #'s such as what years they were available and their overall performance compared to other JBL speakers.
Thanks For The Help,
JDG2

Lancer
07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a pair of L60T JBL's circa 1986 or so and one of the tweeters is not working. The number on the magnet is 035T. I recently aquired a pair of L20T3's and one of those tweeters is not working as well, the number on those magnets is 035TIA. Are these tweeters interchangeable? If they are not the same could someone please explain the difference? I would like to restore both pairs to original condition if possible but I need information on how to go about accomplishing this.
Also could someone give me a quick primer on these model #'s such as what years they were available and their overall performance compared to other JBL speakers.
Thanks For The Help,
JDG2
Have an Authorized JBL Service Center repair yours or find replacements on ebay. The two models are functionally equivalent and differ in their terminal positions as you can see first hand looking at yours. The 035TiA is still available brand new from JBL.

The L60T and 4408 expanded on the L16/L19/4301/L46 concept.
The L20t3 and 4406 expanded on the L15/4401/18Ti/L20T concept.

Years available can be found here - http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm

edgewound
07-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Have an Authorized JBL Service Center repair yours or find replacements on ebay. The two models are functionally equivalent and differ in their terminal positions as you can see first hand looking at yours. The 035TiA is still available brand new from JBL.

The other physical difference is the 035TiA is more self-centering/aligning when replacing the diaphragm assembly....it has a relief machined into the outer lip of the top plate and alignment tabs molded into the face plate, and an additional foam button stack up underneath the Ti dome to dampen resonances. At one point...they even poked a hole with a straightpin through the dome to relieve air pressure. I'm experiencing Deja`Vu with this post.

Edgewound

johnaec
07-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Don't forget the 035TI that also has the TIA characteristics, ('crossover model during transition?). Here are the 3 versions I have, ('can't remember which system has that middle model 035TI with TIA connections - I may check later...). I believe they are in some L20T's - I did have both of them out, and they were both the same, with close connectors and the "A" was definitely not rubbed off.:

John