PDA

View Full Version : Anorthodox test

panos29
07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Just today I managed to conect my pair altec 806-8a on 811b with 801 cross, on my tannoy HPD385 ( tannoy HF drivers disconnected)horn loaded cabinets and gave it a long audition. The autcome ? Pros: very different live like sound with bigger and deeper sounstage and alot more dynamic than the tannoy HF unit.

The Cons? no Hf extention, even worst than tannoy and lower level of detail obviously due to no HF extention. Second, the sensitivity level is alot higher than the horn loaded tannoys, i had to tune the cross to -9dB and needed even more! Obviously the crossover does not much to the crossover point of the LF unit. Moreover the mid range is extremely forward and kinda forward.

Is there any way to lower the sensitivity to less than 97 dB using some form of equalization so that the treble level of the 806s to icrease relatively to the midrange level? Or is it too elusive? I really suspect the altec 801 cross is very crappy or at least not mating well with tannoy cross. Is there any better version of this altec cross available to make-try?

yggdrasil
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I made the same experience with the 801 crossover and 806-8a on 811 horn.

I changed both crossover and added a 2402.

Today I would look at the 4430 Q&D thread for ideas.

The N3134 crossover network from the 4430: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4430LR.pdf