PDA

View Full Version : 4425 Help Needed

ooppalla
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
I just got a solo 4425 from an Ebay buy from Herber Utah, a June buy ... so I can have a good surround setup at long last. I thought I was getting a like new model... but looks like it isn't like new... not close. Well, now I feel like the dog that caught the car and I am not sure of the condition of the car ... or if it has the right engine/trannie/etc.
I got it w/o the woofer so If anyone has a 2214 H they want to sell that has surrounds in great condition, please drop a line.
As for the compression tweeter... I have my doubts... What looks like a metal mesh screen (dust cover?) on my current pair (they are great) is not flush with the biradials opening on the solo speaker. The solo has it located about two inches into the horn's hole and the screen is more transparent ... behind the screen is something black, that restricts the opening to the center of the driver. the opening is about .25" with a silver/titanium metal shine. Is that the correct driver :blink:
Q1. I am guessing that I need to remove the biradial horn to access the HF driver? Is that just a matter of using hex drivers to remove the horn?
Q2. I am also guessing that removal of the horn will allow for an ID of the HF driver? ON the back of the mag structure?
-Any special precautions I should know?
Q3. There are two wires that feed the woofer, one green (-?) and the other is whitish green with single black circling stripe (+?) Is that the correct polarity?
Any and all input welcome and appreciated.
Thanks
Don:spchless:

Guido
07-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Just unscrew the horn and make some pics! The weight is app. 3 kg, so hold it! With the pics we will identifiy it easily.

Per JBL convention every wire with a black strip goes to black terminal.

ooppalla
07-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Biradial Horn: I removed the six front mounting screws and the horn seems to be glued or otherwise permanantly attatched to the front of the Cabinet??? Here is a shot to show the throat (as viewed from the front of the speaker) please note the darker ring around the metal driver face?
file:///C:/My%20Documents/Don's%20Misc/Don's%20Personal/Don's%20Stuff/online%20stuff/Don%20Pics/CU%20Biradial%20outside%20shot.jpg
High Compression Driver. I was hoping that this unit would come out with the horn... The driver seems to be screwed into the horn. The picture of the back of the horn was taken with a mirror. It looks like the manufacturere's (JBL?) emblem is missing and the back has the markings are for ID during manufacturing? Should I just screw that off? Any tricks?
file:///C:/My%20Documents/Don's%20Misc/Don's%20Personal/Don's%20Stuff/online%20stuff/Don%20Pics/Back%20of%20H%20Compression.jpg

file:///C:/My%20Documents/Don's%20Misc/Don's%20Personal/Don's%20Stuff/online%20stuff/Don%20Pics/Throat%20of%20High%20compression%20driver.JPG

Network. Hopefully this shows what a 4425s network should look like?
file:///C:/My%20Documents/Don's%20Misc/Don's%20Personal/Don's%20Stuff/online%20stuff/Don%20Pics/4425%20Network.JPG

Any and all help/comments welcome
:blink:

Zilch
07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Gotta use "Manage Attachments" button to upload those pics. "Img" is for stuff on the 'net....

ooppalla
07-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Hopefully photos are to follohttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6670&goto=newpostw

ooppalla
08-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Incompetent, but I can't load them http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/banghead.gif
But the PICS are here.

http://www.staffordwww.com/donsfiles/
I shot the serial number with a mirror so the figures are backwards, It seems that the official looking emblem fell off?
Does the crossover look right?
Couldn't remove the biradial horn, seems to be glued or something to the front?
The image of the front of the horn is to show the dark circle around the Titanium
There is a brace around the back of the horn with a circle cutout of about .5-.75" opening around the magnet. Any secrets to remove the driver? Guessing that the pics are not adequate of the horn until it is removed?
Thank you

Zilch
08-09-2005, 11:38 PM
It's all correct.

The driver unscrews from the horn.

Lefty loosie.... ;)

Don C
08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Kind of hard to read in a mirror. Lets invert it.

frank23
08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
it all looks like the parts that I have from the 4425, a 2416H compression drivers screwed to the horn

the 2416 compression driver has a different backside than the ones we know from the 2425 for instance

frank

ooppalla
08-11-2005, 02:56 PM
So ... am I cool with the compression driver (thanks to your input) and don't need to remove it? Or still best too? The black ring around the front is OK?
And does the network look OK, or is from another JBL product or a mutt?
Much thanks:o:

Zilch
08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I posted a pic of the 4425 network for you above.

That was not a random selection from the archives here.

Don't make me dyspeptic, now....

norealtalent
08-11-2005, 08:43 PM
We're being invaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Thanks Zilch, that made my night!

ooppalla
08-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Thank you so much Zilch, for the photo of the 4425 network. Nice and clean... It is a beauty.
Your crossover looks very similar to the one I have in my 4425 box, there are however, several differences? As I am not a techie, at all, are the differences related to age of components, etc.? or what?:blink:
Any input welcome, like the cat too:)

Guido
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
JBL likes to change small details with the networks :)

It's just to confuse us :D

Don't worry, your network looks right!

ooppalla
08-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Very Cool thank you:applaud: