PDA

View Full Version : Is it what it seems?

derf
07-11-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm looking into buying what appears to be some used JBL 2206HPL drivers (just waiting on a picture of the magnet to confirm they are 2206HPL, seller has had them out of their enclosure and says they are 2206HPL's). But before I do, I thought I'd ask you guys a question regarding them...

They are appear to have two black lines (glue?) next to the dustcap. Every other Pro JBL driver I've seen has never had these lines(although I know it's quite common on other drivers), is it likely they have had a recone?. If so, is there any way to tell whether it was an official jbl recone or an aftermarket job(I suspect an aftermarket recone would have an impact on the performance of the driver)

I also know there are drivers out there that try to look exactly like the JBL 22* series. I just want to know that I've got an official JBL driver without shoddy recone prior to laying down the cash.

I've attached the only picture of the driver I have, I'm trying to get more, but unfortunately this is all I have at the moment.

Don Mascali
07-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Welcome!

The two lines are the leads from the voice coil that go to the connectors on the frame. They are normal.

Looks like it was made by Americas Finest Speaker Manufacturer. But I'm sure the experts will wade in.

Good luck on your purchase,

Don M

Guido
07-11-2005, 03:35 AM
It looks original.

BUT we need the backside view to be safe.

LE15-Thumper
07-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Our fellow forum-mate Mike Caldwell has a number of good 2226's for sale at a pretty good price. They are 15" though.

edgewound
07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
That looks like a 2206...yes, the glue tracks up the cone from the dustcap are the voicecoil leads through the cone. Should see a pic of the back to be sure.

Edgewound