PDA

View Full Version : L220 vs 250TI LE

Laketown
07-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I have a pair of L220 and I love these speakers!
But I have found a pair of 250TI LE at a fair price and know I'm wondering if they are better than my L220 :dont-know
Any comments??

Thanks

Zilch
07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
They are better, but the only way to satisfy yourself of this is to have both for a while.... :D

pelly3s
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I wouldnt say either one is better. they both have their strong point which mean buy the 250's and keep the 220's and then buy more stuff too lol

jackgiff
07-06-2005, 04:39 PM
One way to solve the dilemma is to sell me your L220's. I am in a JBL collecting mood.

Robh3606
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
If you can swing it buy the 250's and see which you like best. You may decide to keep both if your budget will allow. Have fun!

Rob:)

Laketown
07-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Yes yes but I also have a pair of B&W 801 and another member of the family has this stupid idea that we have enough speakers http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/blah.gif

Would it make sense to play with both JBL set at the same time in the same room (with one amp. per set) ??

Guido
07-07-2005, 03:16 AM
It always make sense to have as much JBLs as possible :D

Alex Lancaster
07-07-2005, 07:23 AM
:)

Would it make sense to play with both JBL set at the same time in the same room (with one amp. per set) ??[/QUOTE]

Only if You want higher SPL´s, like for a party.

I wouldn´t even have them in the same room even if one pair was disconnected.

Laketown
07-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Lancer
Are you saying that in your opinion JBL engineers made the 250 because they found that the 220 needed to be improved?

I have heard that the crossover is an area where there is room for a huge improvement. So a reason for one speaker sounds better than the other could be because of the crossover.
So what I'm trying to say is that maybe is the quality of the speaker units better but the speaker sounds worse because of the crossover.

Any comments on that http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

I'm realy looking forward to this weekend where I have the option for a comparison :)

BTW my soundstage problem is lack of bass and a dominant upper frequenze (even with JBL) so maybe I need to fix something in my room before I can judge/decide which set is best.

Ian Mackenzie
07-08-2005, 02:39 AM
I would. No contest.

On second thought, I'll refrain from stating which one is the clear loser. Obviously there are a whole lot of people out there that don't hear the same things that JBL engineers hear (and that's turned out to be a mixed blessing for JBL).

Like everyone else has stated - pick the one you prefer.

Hmm, recall hearing a similar mentality previously, no it can't be:hmm:

Macka:coolness:

Guido
07-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Hmm, recall hearing a similar mentality previously, no it can't be:hmm:

Good Point ;)

Guido
07-08-2005, 03:15 AM
I have heard that the crossover is an area where there is room for a huge improvement. So a reason for one speaker sounds better than the other could be because of the crossover.

Definitely true. I upgraded my L96's with biased crosovers and ended up with an tremendously improved sound.

So what I'm trying to say is that maybe is the quality of the speaker units better but the speaker sounds worse because of the crossover.

Yes again, BUT not in this case. Both speakers have very good components. The 250ti use newer components though.

John B
07-08-2005, 08:23 PM
The L220 crossover can be substantially improved by adding bypass caps. It makes a very audible difference. Other than that I think it’s one of their better home crossovers.

I, unfortunately, don’t have any 250TIs so I can’t compare their sound to my L220s but I do have a pair of 240TIs. If I could only keep one pair, it would be the L220s.

The 240Ti uses 3 of the 4 drivers from the 250Ti, but the 250 also adds some crossover components unrelated to the 4 way system. Resonance filter on the tweeter and zobels on all drivers, I assume JBL wouldn’t spend the extra component cost if it didn’t improve the sound

Miss Orchid
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I, unfortunately, don’t have any 250TIs so I can’t compare their sound to my L220s but I do have a pair of 240TIs. If I could only keep one pair, it would be the L220s.

I have had the opportunity to compare the L220A directly with the 240Ti in three separate situations. If I could only keep one pair I would choose the 240Ti. I do not mean to imply that the 240Ti is the last word in loudspeakers, it is not. All these various JBL's seem to have their proponents and that is exciting. It would be sad if no one wanted a particular model.

Steve K
07-13-2005, 08:49 AM

I have had the opportunity to compare the L220A directly with the 240Ti in three separate situations. If I could only keep one pair I would choose the 240Ti. I do not mean to imply that the 240Ti is the last word in loudspeakers, it is not. All these various JBL's seem to have their proponents and that is exciting. It would be sad if no one wanted a particular model.

Well said!