PDA

View Full Version : B380 Hookup questions

Gary C.
07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Well,I've been ebay fortunate recently,and have acquired not one,but two JBL B380's.
The first one was speaker and cab only-didn't even have the grilles.
The second one was from the original owner,and came with the grilles,the stand,and the BX63A dividing network.
Now I'm ready to try them out.
I'm not sure if what I have will work,though.I've got a Crown CE 2000 power amp,that is made for use in a PA.Can this thing be used to drive a B380?
If so,are adapter cables available?The Crown has no RCA connections available.
If this amp is unsuitable,can anyone advise me on something that will work?
Thanks for any advice.

Zilch
07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
At 400 Watts per channel, it'll work fine. You'll go get unbalanced RCA to 1/4" balanced TRS input cables to make the connection.

If you want to run both B380's using the same amp in mono, there's several options available. Alas, the simplest, dual mono, is not available on that amp, only mono bridged.

To do them in stereo, you'll need another BX63A.

Gary C.
07-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the reply,Zilch.
I took a look at those Input terminals on the Crown.Thought they were called Neutriks or somesuch.A 1/4" instrument connector DOES fit in the hole,though.Maybe that is some sort of a combo connector?

Okay,here's what I think is gonna be the way to do it.Please correct me if I'm messing up anywhere.
Take stereo out RCA cable from my Yamaha C-80 preamp,and install that in the BX-63A Input L-R.
Take stereo RCA cable from BX-63A Main Output to the Yamaha M-80 power amp,which powers the normal speakers.
Take a single RCA connected cable from the LF Output-Normal,on the BX-63A,to Input Channel 1 on the Crown CE 2000,which is a 1/4" TRS.
Take a red and black from the Output Channel 1 of the Crown to the red and black connectors on the B380.
There is also a Mode switch on the Crown amp that says Stereo/Bridge.I'm guessing that should be placed on Bridge?

I don't have a good understanding of all these terms like bridging mono,etc.
Hope nothing funky is required there at the Crown amp.
Thanks for the help.

Zilch
07-04-2005, 07:24 PM
All good except the "Bridge" setting on the amp. Leave it on "Stereo." You'll only be using one channel to drive a single B380. Get that going first, and then we'll discuss how to hook the second one up.

The Neutrix input on the Crown is a combination 1/4" TRS and/or XLR; the two are connected together. Don't try to make your own cable for RCA to TRS. Go to Guitar Center or your Pro Audio dealer to get one of the appropriate length. They're stock, by Hosa and others.

Take us a pic of the input connectors on the Crown amp. It'll help us to decide the easiest way to get both subs working mono....

[Guess I COULD look up the manual on the web if I had to.... :p ]

Gary C.
07-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Okay,the "Stereo" setting,it is.
Too bad it was late in the day on a holiday,or I'd have gotten that cable already.
Oh well,will do it tomorrow.

Gary C.
07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Got that cable today at Guitar Center.
Have tried both subs,and they both do work.
Listening to Entrance of the Gods Into Valhalla,and Ride of the Valkyries at the moment.
Most impressive.
Thanks for the hook-up advice.I'll be looking forward to hearing about how to use them both.Will try and get a pic posted of the back of the Crown amp tomorrow.

Zilch
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
:thmbsup:

pelly3s
07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
take a line from the low out of the bx63a and run it into a y cable or if i remember right there is a barrier strip on the ce-2000 along with the combo jack and you can just make a hardwire jump between those to get that low out signal into both channels of the ce-2000.