PDA

View Full Version : What is it? What is is called? Will no1 help a newbie?

Box
06-29-2005, 10:14 AM
:banghead: I dont know what it is called. I have used the search feature to look for previous threads for this. I am sure that the 28 people that has looked at this thread knows what this is. You could patch me to a previous thread or website. Will no one help a newbie?Inexperience here. What is the stuff that looks like it is leaking from the bottem of the woofer. I have saw quite a few pics of old JBL's with brown sludge looking stuff coming from the bottem of the woofer esp. on eBay. I know its not supposed to be there. What does it do to the woofer? Is it worth repairing?:dont-know

Zilch
06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Patience, friend. It could take several days before you get a definitive answer here.

I believe it's the bitumenous (think "tar") goop used to seal and keep flexible the woofer surrounds. With heat, time, and gravity, it can migrate or "slump" to the bottom.

Clean up the excess, if you want, and play on. There's likely plenty left at the top to do its job....

Box
06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
I believe it's the bitumenous (think "tar") goop used to seal and keep flexible the woofer surrounds. There's likely plenty left at the top to do its job....

Thanks so much Zilch for your encouraging reply.
This is what i was guessing but wasnt sure of. If this is what you believe, is it more likely to have been caused by time and heat or possibly a repair from some1 less than qualified? Plenty left at the top to do the job for how long if it has just started oozing? I mean, how much of the goop do you start with to know how much is lost to know how long before repair is needed? Would it help to turn them upside down and let gravity take it the other way?

clmrt
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
My '67 Altecs did the same thing. I rotated them 180deg so that by 2043, it'll have reversed completely!!

Mine were a bit more severe. I wonder if they are air tight any longer.

Zilch
06-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Would it help to turn them upside down and let gravity take it the other way?No harm tryin' that while waiting for others to respond here, probably.... :p

Alan Fletcher
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Very common thing in older speakers and normally nothing to worry about.

Say... that IS a SWEET looking pair of 4312's!