PDA

View Full Version : Theatre speakers

Tom Loizeaux
06-21-2005, 06:34 PM
For the past week I've been setting up a theatre space by rolling three full-sized speakers into position. It's a pleasure to push 3 Altec 4A, dual 15 cabinets (w Altec 515s), with wings, into a line. On top there are JBL 2446H drivers attached to JBL 2360B horns. They are on wheels, but at almost 10 feet tall and about 800 lbs. each, it's a push for sure.
Then I roll in a pair of JBL 4642A dual subs into position.
When they power up you're really covered in a BIG sound.
I used to think my 4343s were big, but these Altec monsters make my 4343s look like bookshelf speakers.

Tom

boputnam
06-21-2005, 07:37 PM
:useless:

Oldmics
06-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Tom,

The "Hopkins" gig ??????????

If so I"m a going after those BIG pieces of plywood.

Oldmics

Tom Loizeaux
06-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Ok, here are two photos.
These are actually Altec 210 cabinets with Altec 515Bs and JBL horns and drivers. And yes, the JBL subs do add a very usefull low end.

Tom

pelly3s
06-24-2005, 05:24 AM
that looks like fun. i wouldnt complain about working with that setup lol

evans224
06-24-2005, 08:03 AM
WOW! Bet that arrangement blows'em away!!

dancing-dave
06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Wowsers.

:jawdrop:

Mr. Widget
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
OK Tom,

Now that you have us all salivating... what the heck are you doing. Is that your new listening room?! I've always thought the Altecs made good mids, with those JBLs top and bottom, I bet it is an amazing sound indeed!

Widget

Tom Loizeaux
06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
No, it's not for my personel listening! I've been working on a Greek Film Festival and have been the audio guy and assistant projectionist in this auditorium. I've always loved the big Altec classics and this was an opportunity to "play with the big boys".
Also, you guys pressured me for a pic, so I decided to show the first photo of myself. Heck, you other guys did it a while back, so I thought I should give in to peer pressure.

Tom

JBL 4645
12-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Good heavens above, the sheer size of those is staggering!:)

There the same ones that our installed at the ODEON in Westover Bournemouth in screen #1, but what I can’t put my finger down is, why does one side the right side always make horrible flabby distortion sound?

Now I’m not sure if have experienced any difficulties between low frequencies at 20Hz and 50Hz on these at high sound pressure levels, well normal SPL?

greyhound
12-29-2006, 04:19 AM
that aint work.
its like a dream come true.
nice.

i totally understand they are a pleasure to push. Everytime i have trouble lifting a speaker idont think "o my this is heavy"
I just think "wow"there some quality stuff in here.

hjames
12-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Ok, here are two photos.
These are actually Altec 210 cabinets with Altec 515Bs and JBL horns and drivers. And yes, the JBL subs do add a very usefull low end.

Tom

Wow - that looks like Great fun working with that kind of quality gear.
Hope the quality of the film's audio is up to the quality of the speakers ...!
I gather its somewhat local - Balto area ?

Ah - now I see - its a 2005 Thread that was resurrected today by that UK THX fellow ...
:dj-party:

... sigh ... guess I'm not likely to go hear them and see the films soon ...

spwal
12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
i want them for my bedroom. i will gladly throw out my bed to make space.

Tom Loizeaux
12-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, this is a theatre space at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
Many theatres use Altecs like these. JBL did move in and supplied lots of theaters with the JBL versions of these. Theatre speakers usually are quite large as they were speced to cover the audience with a pretty high SPL.

Tom

Chas
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Wow - that looks like Great fun working with that kind of quality gear.
Hope the quality of the film's audio is up to the quality of the speakers ...!
I gather its somewhat local - Balto area ?

Ah - now I see - its a 2005 Thread that was resurrected today by that UK THX fellow ...
:dj-party:

... sigh ... guess I'm not likely to go hear them and see the films soon ...

Hey Heather, at least there wasn't anything "fishy" going on!:p

hjames
12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey Heather, at least there wasn't anything "fishy" going on!:p

:applaud:
Hey, you behave!
Play nice or its Jellied eels for you!!:blink:

glen
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
...why does one side the right side always make horrible flabby distortion sound?

There's no telling how old those are. In the seventies my band pulled some VOTs from the local theater. Turns out they had been installed for the original release of "Fantasia" (1940) and had not been service in the intervening 35 years. The woofer cone edges completely disintegrated as soon as we hooked them up. They were still the best P.A. speakers we ever had, sounded great for vocals and music, but if they had been fed the kind of low frequency effects common in today's movies I'm sure they would have flabbed out.