PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a dirty 075

Val
06-20-2005, 07:45 PM
I just discovered this site and forum. What a great resource! I've been given two 075 HF Ring Radiators. Unfortunately they were stored uncovered in a garage for years with the bullet pointing up. When you look down into the ring-gap you can see a lot of debris. I'm dying to try them out but don't dare until the gap is clear. Is there a way to clean them? Also, from the research I did on this site last night, I see that they are circa 1957. Is is possible that the diaphram is still good after all these years?

Figge
06-21-2005, 05:21 AM
I just discovered this site and forum. What a great resource! I've been given two 075 HF Ring Radiators. Unfortunately they were stored uncovered in a garage for years with the bullet pointing up. When you look down into the ring-gap you can see a lot of debris. I'm dying to try them out but don't dare until the gap is clear. Is there a way to clean them? Also, from the research I did on this site last night, I see that they are circa 1957. Is is possible that the diaphram is still good after all these years?

HI! and welcome.

pick them apart, and clean everything. and i believe its possible that the diaphragm is ok after all these years, these things are pretty rugged so i dont think a little dirt will kill em!

yggdrasil
06-21-2005, 07:39 AM
IF the redwax seals are intact, I would wait to see if anyone come in with tips on cleaning without taking them apart.

Zilch
06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Be aware of how those are constructed. The voice coil and gap are isolated from the front opening by the diaphragm, so there is little concern that any debris has gotten in where it would matter.

And, yes, it's quite likely the diaphragm is still good after all these years, depending upon what sort of contamination has entered the mouth. If you see corrosion on the bullet from salt air, for example, that's the condition of the diaphragm, as well, probably.

Val
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Thank you for your advice. I think I will clean as much as I can without taking them apart and see how they sound.

Some of the red seals are still in place.

Oldmics
06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Use some masking tape.

Get the sticky side to attach to the debris that you can see.

Oldmics

Val
06-22-2005, 10:25 PM
I cleaned them today without taking them apart. I blew some compressed air thru a WD-40 tube very gently and all came free. They play well! I'm quite happy.

Thanks for all replys.

Figge
06-22-2005, 10:36 PM
They play well! I'm quite happy..

glad to hear. those are nice tweeters. guess thats why they have been around for the last 50 years.

Roddyama
07-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I had picked up a dozen or so 2405's a few years back and proceeded to set them up in pairs to resell. I noticed that a few of them had what looked like dirt on the diaphragm. It turned out to be metal filings/particles that had accumulated on the outside of the diaphragm over the magnetic gap. These particles were easily removed by taking a folded piece of paper and "scooping" them out of the "V" shaped diaphragm.

louped garouv
07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
It turned out to be metal filings/particles that had accumulated on the outside of the diaphragm over the magnetic gap. These particles were easily removed by taking a folded piece of paper and "scooping" them out of the "V" shaped diaphragm.

I had that issue on some 075,s I had gotten -- red seals intact so I did the same that you did....... worked like a charm.... took awhile for the last few shavings though....