PDA

View Full Version : Modified JBL bullets

Steve Schell
06-19-2005, 08:20 AM
It looks like this fellow is hotrodding JBL bullet tweeters. Can anyone translate the copy in this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5782264461&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

10 Watt Street
06-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Translated by Babelfish: http://world.altavista.com/

An excellent tweeter! James B.Lansing had an idea of genius by creating the annular membrane. In 1949, in a small laboratory of Healthy Circa, the 075 was produced in very small series is 2 years after famous D130. Strongly involved in debt, James B Lansing disappeared in the Fifties. In 1969 its Thomas associate sells JBL in Sidney Harman de Jervis... James.B. Lansing excelled for the design of H.P., Harman to make under. Here for the small history.

There is extremely to bet that if it had lived and to keep its company, the 075 would have evolved/moved by keeping a magnet with the samarium cobalt (Alnico), that the 2404 would never have existed, that the 2405 would have been different and that the 2406 would never have been called "cat eyes" owing to the fact that the opening of its mouth would have remained perfectly circular! All that is an assumption but there is a thing which owes you interpeler: with this same annular diaphragm and the same magnetic mass, one proposes a number of different tweeters JBL by their output, band-width , and sound color to you. I propose of them one moreover today to you which supports the frequencies ranging between 10 and 11 Khz (a little with the manner of the 2405). In the various houses which I designed for this engine, the outputs obtained go from 103 to 112 dB. The model suggested makes 105 dB (7 to 17 Khz). With the house of origin you will obtain 110 dB (6 to 15 Khz). These parts are limited to 2 pairs, only one is to be sold. We will propose other models with characteristics different but always limited to one or two pairs. These houses are not designed in the intention of a series production but with an aim of confronting a theory with the experimentation.

The largest tweeter of this type ever conceived, you can see it on: www.william-audio.be (http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=fr_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.william-audio.be%2f) click on product, then on W.R.

The pair proposed they is 2 tweeters into 1 only following the adopted house. Version MK1 is turned in the best Alu.Z alloy. The center is out of bronze. It is the occasion to acquire 2 exceptional parts in more of the original parts 2402.

Steelyfan
06-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I dug into the website of the guy/company
apparentely it was/is a long standing manufacturer of audio equipment ;
in the sixties, using JBL parts, and now back again.
As I live in the same country, I might go and pay him a visit.

aust-ted
06-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Had a bash at tidying up 10 Watt Street's babelfish translation as follows. As I only have schoolboy French, I cannot guarantee I have it all right.

I also had a go at translating the text in his webpage he refers to in his eBay description.

Regards
Ted

An excellent tweeter! James B.Lansing had an idea of genius by creating the annular membrane. In 1949, in a small clean laboratory, the 075 was produced in a very small series 2 years after famous D130. Strongly in debt, James B Lansing disappeared in the Fifties. In 1969 his associate Thomas sells JBL to Sidney Harman de Jervis... James.B. Lansing designs excelled for manufacture by H.P., Harman. Here for a short history.

It is very likely that if he had lived on and kept his company, the 075 would have evolved by keeping a samarium cobalt (Alnico), magnet, that the 2404 would never have existed, that the 2405 would have been different and that the 2406 would never have been called "cat eyes" owing to the fact that the opening of its mouth would have remained perfectly circular! All that is an assumption but it begs you to extrapolate: with this same annular diaphragm and the same magnetic mass, one proposes a number of different JBL tweeters specified by their output, band-width , and sound color. I propose one of them moreover today for frequencies between 10 and 11 Khz (a little like the 2405). In the various horns which I designed for this driver, the measured outputs go from 103 to 112 dB. The model suggested provides 105 dB (7 to 17 Khz). With the original horn you will obtain 110 dB (6 to 15 Khz).

These parts are limited to 2 pairs, only one is to be sold. We will propose other models with different characteristics but always limited to one or two pairs. These horns are not designed in the intention of a series production but with an aim of confirming the theory by experimentation.

you can see the largest tweeter of this type ever conceived at: www.william-audio.be (http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=fr_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.william-audio.be%2f) click on product, then on W.R.

The pair proposed is 2 tweeters into 1 only using the adopted horn. Version MK1 is turned in the best Alu.Z alloy. The center is out of bronze. It is the occasion to acquire 2 exceptional parts in more of the original parts 2402.

Homage to the one of greatest men of acoustics

"JAMES B. LANSING"

In first at the time of the ACF 2003 show, company WILLIAM presented a new tweeter with the annular membrane, probably one of largest and more powerful on the market

Some characteristics given by the originator of the product the Director of department R&D of "WILLIAM" Mr Willy PETERS: Diameter 20 cm, weight 16 kg, annular membrane of 80 mm out of titanium, 18 néodymium magnets on pure iron 0,00 % carbon, aluminium horn, frequency of 2 KHZ - 20 KHZ, 150 W RMS (12 dB/octave) - 400 W RMS (4 Khz-20 Khz 18 dB/octave) 112 dB 1W@1m. On the basis of this prototype, we developed the production from T 0750, identical presentation except the diameter of 12,5 cm instead of 20 and 4,6 Kgs instead of 16. Same 80 mm diaphragm, specifications 3 Khz-20 Khz 108 dB 1 w.@1 m 500W. RMS.

Steve Schell
06-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks Ted; that certainly reads easier than the raw translation.

As with so many things I read on the web here and there, this auction points out why the Lansing Heritage site functions beautifully as a "one stop shop" for accurate Lansing historical information.

Jim Lansing accomplished an amazing amount in his 25 year loudspeaker career, but he had nothing to do with the 075. It was developed several years after his death in 1949. I cannot recall if anyone has told us who developed JBL's ring radiator, but would assume that Ed May and/or Bart Locanthi must have been involved. Don, can you shed light on this question?

paragon
06-24-2005, 10:46 AM
We repair parts of CD and DVD moulds on top. Range is about +- 0.005mm max and flatness is about +- 0.003 mm max. Height is about +- 0.005mm.
Some of this parts are coaten with this very hard Tin or Wcc coatings.
I have two men who may build (?) this two 075 horn and phase plug parts in brass.
I may polish these parts on top.
Price ? We`ll see. Measured phase plug and horn with our contour measuring machine. Tip of this is about 25 My (Mikrometer?). I build two horns and phase plugs for myself first and will see how good they are (will send pics of course).
So we may build this parts in many sorts of metall and polish them.
There is also a chance to put a very hard coat on this parts, like Titan (gold look) or wolfram (dark grey look). I will post pics of this colours later.

Eckhard

Jan Daugaard
06-26-2005, 02:15 AM
There are so many factual errors in the text on Ebay that I suggest that the translation be removed from this site -- it only serves to create confusion.