http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8472&stc=1

Steve.

JuniorJBL
06-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Very nice!!:applaud:

louped garouv
06-16-2005, 12:09 PM
and welcome to the forum! :applaud:

can we get a pic of the smashed corner?????? we like seeing the results of common carrier mishaps around here.....:blah:

later,

:idea: ohhh... we should get a "rocky horror picture show" smiley, so that newbies can be showered with p-nuts/popcorn/etc...... :duck:

Zilch
06-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Those are PERFECT in that room. You're gonna love 'em I betcha.... :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
06-16-2005, 01:53 PM
What a grand entry into the forums. :yes:

pmakres1
06-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Congratulations and welcome! :D

These look like very nice specimens. I hope you enjoy them, and this forum!

Peter

P.S. I too am curious to see the damaged corner. Hope it isn't too bad...

JBLnsince1959
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Looks great, hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed my 4430's. They are outstanding speakers. Some times it takes a little work to take care of all the reflections and get them to image perfectly( and I don't know of any speaker that you don't have to work with a little), however, once you "get it right" they are a real joy. :D

Congrads.

Sorry to hear about the corner. We've got some real experts on the forum that can help you if you need ideas on how to fix it.

sfellini
06-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the corner. We've got some real experts on the forum that can help you if you need ideas on how to fix it.

Here is the damage before and after a spritz of black spray paint:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8479&stc=1
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8480&stc=1

And I would welcome any help on how to fix this (living in a DC
condo, I do not have wood-working tools available :().

Thanks again,
Steve.

yggdrasil
06-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Veneer repair.

I would try to restore the veneer's shape. Then fill the hole with wood glue. In order to get under the veneer you can use a syringe filled with thinned wood glue.

The glue shrinks when drying, so you will need to do fill with glue several times.

leif
06-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Gontrats with your wonderful speakers. I am actually working on trying to get a pair myself. Mailed the seller yesterday, and check mail all the time in exitement to see the answer. "mine" has to be reconed or refoamed. What do you guys suggest? Reconing cost a fortune over here. About 800 USD... It is crazy...

And welcome to the forum also!

Figge
06-17-2005, 05:42 AM
Reconing cost a fortune over here. About 800 USD... It is crazy...

Halloj Leif! hoppas du får högtalarna. jag har ett par jag ochså, dom är kalas!

tell me about it! u might (almost) as well by new woofers about 500eu each at hifikit stockholm. recones arent cheap eather 150 eu each i heard some time ago at septon gothenburg. better u diy and buy from rick this way youll get away with 30 or 40 euro. saves some money and it wasnt very hard to do it.

mvh fredrik

oh and welcome aboard steve! nice score, i have a pair too and i bet you´ll love em. sorry about the smashed corner, but i guess its pretty easy to fix if u put your mind to it. peace!

yggdrasil
06-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Gontrats with your wonderful speakers. I am actually working on trying to get a pair myself. Mailed the seller yesterday, and check mail all the time in exitement to see the answer. "mine" has to be reconed or refoamed. What do you guys suggest? Reconing cost a fortune over here. About 800 USD... It is crazy...

And welcome to the forum also!
Just curious. Where would that be?

Earl K
06-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Hmmmmm,

u might (almost) as well by new woofers about 500eu each

- In the US, a brand new ME150h from Harman is less than $ 500 usd or 400eu ( wholesale exchange rate ) .

- A brand new 2235h from ??? is about $ 300 usd or 240eu ( at the wholesale exchange rate ) .

- Seems all the press I hear about the Euro Trade Zone being pretty "protectionist" might be true, based on prices like that .

- Have you "Euro" members determined , just what percentage ( of these high prices ) is actually caused by a duty ( tariff ) levied & collected by either the Post Office or your common carrier ( UPS, FedEx, etc. ) ? Since I assume, VAT is applied to the total landed cost, ( including shipping & "fee collection" costs ) , it'll all add up quite quickly . Yep, that'll make one want to buy RCF to keep it in the family . ;) :D

:cheers:

yggdrasil
06-17-2005, 06:52 AM
VAT in Norway is 25%.

leif
06-17-2005, 07:40 AM
- Seems all the press I hear about the Euro Trade Zone being pretty "protectionist" might be true, based on prices like that .

I live in Norway, and we are not in EU.
And I dont think we have any high toll on speakers, to protect our speaker industry. Simply because we dont have any speaker industry in Norway. Exept for one small company (Seas).

4430`s are hard to find secondhand in Norway, and I would have to go overseas to get these... There are many pairs in Norway, but they are never sold.
Not to mention other JBL stuff... Within 20 minutes drive from my home, that is on the countryside, there is said to be 11 Paragons.

Earl K
06-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I live in Norway, and we are not in EU.

- Oh, oh, there I go, displaying my ignorance again :D Sorry !

And I dont think we have any high toll on speakers, to protect our speaker industry.

- Okay, high tariffs aren't over-inflating the cost of JBL parts over in Norway.

- What would explain a per unit recone of $400.USD ( was that before or after the VAT tax ) ?

leif
06-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Labor is, in addition to 25% vat, one of the explanation of high cost of reconing.

Labor for reconing these is 600 NOK + 25%vat. = about 125 USD each woofer, for the labor alone. If I could have done the job myself, I would save a good set of money, but I am as far from a handyman as you can come. :)

Leif

JBLnsince1959
06-17-2005, 08:35 AM
VAT in Norway is 25%.

:eek: :jawdrop:

Titanium Dome
06-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, that is shocking. It's more like an inflation tax

In some countries if a private entity placed a 25% surcharge on something, it'd be cause for legal action. Ah well, the benefits of protectionist trade laws... :(

leif
06-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, there is the election in september, and we could of course vote for one of those parties that have lower taxes on their programme. But it is those that want higher taxes that is gaining at the moment...
Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic.
Wish me luck, and cross your fingers that I get the 3430`s

Leif

Earl K
06-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Wish me luck, and cross your fingers that I get the 3430`s

Okay, good luck ! ;)

Regis
06-17-2005, 09:11 PM
I came this close "><" to buying the 4430's instead of the L-300's I own! I'm sorry about the frieght damage, as that's always a drag, but it looks somewhat minor and you can either fix it, or take care of it later (though, I find that you start getting to the point where you've becomed used to it and resign yourself to living with it). One of these days, I'll repair the bases on my L-300 :D !

Enjoy and get back with us and tell us how you like em after a break-in!

JBLnsince1959
06-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Please let us know what you think about them and how they sound to you. Also, a lot of us have had ( and still do), so if you have any questions about setting them up, let us know.

Figge
06-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Simply because we dont have any speaker industry in Norway. Exept for one small company (Seas)..

its too bad tandberg dont make speakers any more. i have always liked em! i have a pair of tl-5020 to the computer (12" 3 way) sounds fabulouse! L-100:s can go and hide!