PDA

View Full Version : O44 foam

hector.murray
06-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I sent an email to JBL regarding the foam inside the 044 tweeter dome. The response I got from JBL was as expected

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately the tweeter for this model is no longer available. It has been discontinued and we do not show a replacement. You may want to contact one of the following service centers. They may be able to re-foam the existing driver.

but they did referance me to some reconers. Sooo..
I emailed those on the list that I could.
Of the responses that I got back, one was a sorry can't help you, another was a " you can manufacturer your own from weatherstripping foam "
and the last was a "YES! we can send you that for $25."
Now I'm wondering about the last one, that it wasn't just a kneejerk "yeah we got your speaker foam"
So I am going to investigate further, In the event that response #3 was in fact bogus (and cause I do like to make my own stuff) anyone have any ideas as to the dimensions and possibly the foam density of the 044 foam?

Don C
06-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I would estimate that the foam that I saw in my 044Tis was about the same diamater as a nickel, and about a half inch thick before being squeezed by installation. The foam is very soft, softer than any weatherstrip that I have seen. But it is stiff enough that it still made a slight round impresion on the Ti diaphragms as I pushed the diaphragm plate down against the magnet. The Ti diaphragm material is thin, maybe the regular 044 diaphragm is stronger.

edgewound
06-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Hector...

PM me with your info and I'll see if I have one. No biggie...it's a little adhesive backed, rather soft open-cell foam plug to dampen the dome. 044's are no longer supported by the factory. It's a phenolic tweeter that was used in the 4411 and it's hifi cousin L112, and the L250. I'm having CRS right now and tha't all I can recall from memory:(

Thanks...maybe send a couple of bucks in return for postage.

Edgewound

JuniorJBL
06-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Size is 7/8" dia. 1/2" thick

edgewound
06-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Beautiful, Junior! Great pics...what kind of camera do you have?

Edgewound

JuniorJBL
06-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Canon powershot a400 company camera.
I use a Nikon 5200 coolpix You will see some pics from it when I post my 250 reconstuction thread

hector.murray
06-16-2005, 07:53 PM
YOU GUYS ROCK!:band: