PDA

View Full Version : Horn incredible system turned to fully digital...

skaloumbakas
08-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi,

I just updated JYK's Profile Page (included in the A.C.A. pages). Click http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm (http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm) or the picture below, to go there...

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/541589/834883/31773619.jpg (http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm)

Some may agree, some may disagree with this digital - horns match, but nobody can deny that this is an impressive system - room to look at...

Enjoy

scott fitlin
08-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Which digital controller are you using? How do you like it? can you describe the sonic differences, analog and then digital?

Mr. Widget
08-17-2003, 11:12 AM
If you've invested that kind of time, energy, and money in a system, build a proper listening room. Opulence is great if it's your thing, but this room is not the proper environment for a world class sound system.

This is like having an Ampex ATR 100 playing a master tape through the world's finest electronics only to be realized through a pair of $5.00 ear buds.

boputnam
08-17-2003, 01:20 PM
through a pair of $5.00 ear buds Hey, now - mine cost well over $400 - you got a discount lead?? :yes:

BTW, these here are tops, if anybody's using buds that aren't getting it done...
Shure E5c Link (http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e5c.asp)

4313B
08-17-2003, 01:37 PM
"Hey, now - mine cost well over $400 - you got a discount lead??"

D'oh!

Never stick anything smaller than your elbow into your ear...

4313B
08-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by skaloumbakas
Some may agree, some may disagree with this digital - horns match, but nobody can deny that this is an impressive system - room to look at...
It looks too painful to me...

skaloumbakas
08-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
If you've invested that kind of time, energy, and money in a system, build a proper listening room. Opulence is great if it's your thing, but this room is not the proper environment for a world class sound system...Large listening room is every audiophile's dream, if you can get the proper energy from your equipment, since needs minor treatment in comparisson with a small one.

This mirror behind the speakers seems too small and too far back (possibly 4 meters) from the mid/high horns. So, it does not affect with its reflections :banghead: the direct sound (listening seat at 7 meters from the speakers).

High ceiling also is very favorable to the sound, by lowering the room tones.

I haven't heard JYK's system but from the size of the room and the height of the roof, this room must sound great and it should have enormous soundstage. Think of “Scheherazade” playing in this system. It must be glorious... :rolleyes:

Mr. Widget
08-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Now obviously I have not heard this system nor been in this room but based on what I see in the photos I feel this room is less than ideal. Of course most of us, myself included, don't have ideal listening rooms. My point is if one is to invest the thousands of hours and several hundred thousand dollars on equipment, a properly designed listening room makes sense. This man obviously has the means. I am surprised he hasn't hired a proper acoustical consultant and built an acoustically isolated listening room using the techniques found in a world class recording studio.

I may be confused by the focal length of the lens, but to my eye it appears that the primary listening position is about twice the distance that separates the HF section of the speakers. This layout won't provide a very good stereo image. Of course this is an easy fix. Simply move the couch closer to the speakers. I've enjoyed a properly set up listening room with fairly live acoustics, however this room is virtually all live. I imagine it could sound wonderful with chamber music, some acoustic music, and low level jazz, but I would expect the reflections would be come very clouding for large orchestral works and most pop and rock played at realistic levels.

Ideally you want a symmetrical room. Having a row of windows on one side and a simple hard plaster wall across is definitely a compromise. The mirror may be back behind the speakers far enough not to be a problem, but the room's proportions, that of a long hall are not ideal either.

I agree that a larger room is better than a smaller one, however big alone does not make a good room. Take the world's best sound system and one carpet and your couch and set it up in a gymnasium. It will sound like hell. I am not saying that this is a gym or that it will sound like hell, but take this equipment and put it in a properly designed room and the improvements gained from using all that expensive wire will become trivial.

Just my opinion.:)

sa660
08-27-2003, 08:12 AM
My brother, Stephane was in these room with all this equipment.
JYK is a real gentlemen and repesct all construtif remarques.

My brother has for reference the 4435.
This system offer the best medium and high frequncies he ever heard. The bass driver with compression does go very low but because of the lenght of the horns sounded a bid slow and mufle.

JYK aggreed with this and was trying to improve it.

Stephan is planning another trip where.

Regards,