PDA

View Full Version : JBL Nuts, 136 and their fabulous wifes.

pentictonklaus
06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
This is a thread for all members who once in a while have to deal with the WAF. I got caught yersterday when I carried a big box from the car to the house. This is how it went.:

Wife : What's in there ?
Me: Eh, couple of 136.
W: silence ( giving me the look )
Me: e-bay you know.
W: How much this time ?
Me: Way cheaper then TAD drivers. ( First mistake )
W: What for ? ( still giving me the look )
Me: Same as 2231, I need these to use all the other leftovers. I just
have to find a second pair for.. ( second mistake )
W: How big this time ?
Me: I was thinking 18 cubic feet, but tall and slim with 2118,2344 and
2405 in the center.
W: How big is that ?
Me: See our fridge, just a little bigger, our 4435's are 10 (third mistake)
W: I was warned before I married you, remember the 3 pinball
machines in your small apartment ? ( cynical grin)
Me: You knew I was certifiable then didn't ya ?
W: What's in the other box ?
Me: What other box ? ( last mistake )
W: The one from last week. ( no more grin )
Me: Oh, that's a JBL M 552 can't do without.
W: You do the dishes tonight and I don't want to hear any Zappa.
Me: Impedance is futile.
W: Armleuchter ( that was nice, sometimes she calls me worse )

Later that night I only played music she likes.(and of course did the dishes)
Today she is going to a party were some normal people will show off their
301,601 alpha sound plus or whatever nice pieces of shoebox size systems these people got. When she listens to that she will have a silent grin on her face. I will be at home with some friends and some Budweiser rocking the house. If she loves you she will understand.
Starting the project soon. Wanted 2 more 2231 or 2235.

DMMD
06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
:applaud: You had me... until you mentioned Budweiser.

At least with a box that big, you'll have a warm place to sleep when you and it are both moved into the garage.

I wonder if the "other-halves" of Lansing Heritage forum members have a secret blog we don't know about?

JuniorJBL
06-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Bravo!!:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

JohnK
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
"The Wife is the enemy of the audiophile"

boputnam
06-14-2005, 02:34 PM
W: How big is that ?
Me: See our fridge, just a little bigger... :rotfl: Been there, said that!

The WHOLE exchange is a riot. Thanks for the laughs... :D

from DIA, in-transit

JuniorJBL
06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Denver Int. Air?
Well then Hi from Denver!!
Shane:D

Titanium Dome
06-14-2005, 10:08 PM
"The Wife is the enemy of the audiophile"

"The wife of another audiophile is your friend."

(Think about it. REALLY think about it. :hmm: )

Cyclotronguy
06-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I married a more diseased audiophile than myself (the obvious solution) :bouncy: They are difficult to find.... but guys, they do exist!

Came home last friday night and she was rocking the house with Hendrix, Stones and CSNY. Her drug of choice: bi-amped, JBL 4560’s topped of with 2355’s and TAD ET-703 in a not very large room.

She had every cd we owned out on the floor, making a mix of her favorite 1000 songs for her laptop and a smaller mix for an i-pod.

Ms E looking at this site on my computer saw photos of the Widget K-2 clones and Zilch's B460's (fully aware of the size), and started measuring. I'm in the back ground muttering..... "won't fit-too damn large" What do you bet I loose this argument?

Cyclotronguy

Titanium Dome
06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
I married a more diseased audiophile than myself (the obvious solution) :bouncy: They are difficult to find.... but guys, they do exist!

Came home last friday night and she was rocking the house with Hendrix, Stones and CSNY. Her drug of choice: bi-amped, JBL 4560’s topped of with 2355’s and TAD ET-703 in a not very large room.

She had every cd we owned out on the floor, making a mix of her favorite 1000 songs for her laptop and a smaller mix for an i-pod.

Ms E looking at this site on my computer saw photos of the Widget K-2 clones and Zilch's B460's (fully aware of the size), and started measuring. I'm in the back ground muttering..... "won't fit-too damn large" What do you bet I loose this argument?

Cyclotronguy

If she's pretty, too, you're in for a lot of jealous resentment.
:useless:

FYI, I don't mean 100 lb. 20-year-old, doe-eyed, long haired, fake boob pretty. I mean pretty like you could grow old together pretty. :yes:

Guido
06-16-2005, 03:32 AM
HaHa! thanks for the laugh!

But I have a new one:
Last night wifey first saw my new 250ti in piano black.....

1. comment was: "Oh my god, darth vader is here"

Well, shape of darth vaders helmet and the 250ti have some similarities but...:biting: ya know?

Zilch
06-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Let's not start the "Vaders" thing again, please. :D

["Search" will find it, no doubt....]

Titanium Dome
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Alas! Poor amadeo, we knew him but a brief time, yet he made such an impression.

At least I had an ally in the horn wars. :p

louped garouv
06-16-2005, 02:08 PM
my wife and I had a simmilar exchange earlier this week when I got a better pair of A7,s and the Wharfedale Airedales into the house.....

she want's those tiny B**E :biting:
I keep telling her that these are antiques AND functional....

dont' you even want to hear them??????

NO -- to the basement they go........

"Armleuchter" = algae, or pond scum???????

pentictonklaus
06-16-2005, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=louped garouv]my wife and I had a simmilar exchange earlier this week when I got a better pair of A7,s and the Wharfedale Airedales into the house.....

she want's those tiny B**E :biting:
I keep telling her that these are antiques AND functional....

dont' you even want to hear them??????

NO -- to the basement they go........

I won for 3 reasons :

We got no basement
She did listen to those tiny B**e
She realized " Size does matter "

So 18 cubic feet will be built.

louped garouv
06-16-2005, 02:45 PM
She realized " Size does matter "

I think deep inside most women do! :D

Mr. Widget
06-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Hey Cyclotronguy,

Show her these... they will soon have painted horns, grilles, and veneered panels...

Widget

louped garouv
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
TAD,s for HF?

JBL Dog
06-16-2005, 03:09 PM
JBL 4560’s

God, I love that cabinet!

:applaud:

edgewound
06-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow, Widget....Niiiiiiicccccccc:applaud: e

Earl K
06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
HELLO, hello,

Thoose , are damn pretty Mr Widget . :D

I guess if you're veneering, that means they've passed the audition .

Very Nice !

Mr. Widget
06-16-2005, 03:15 PM
TAD,s for HF?

JBL 1500AL
TAD TD4003
TAD ET-703

I guess if you're veneering, that means they've passed the audition .

A+ ;)

Widget

Earl K
06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Say, someone please help me out here ;

- Someone else on the forum has just built cabinets with curved walls / did the kerfing himself / used either K145s or E145s , if I remember correct .
- So, who is it ? & just where is the thread located that displays his handy work ?

Me & my brain thankyou ( I guess, I'm having a seniors moment ) :p

Mr. Widget
06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Here are John's very pretty speakers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5951

Widget

Earl K
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
:o: Ahhh Yes, Thanks very much for that :)

yggdrasil
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Widget, you are a f...ing artist! :applaud:
Wonderful.

JBLnsince1959
06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Widget.....WOW.... what a piece of art. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys... I think aesthetically they are OK, and once clad in beautiful wood and properly grilled... they will be quite respectable, but I can't help but think an MTM with one of these in the middle would really be sweet!

Unfortunately, the thick lipped beast sounds amazingly good. ...by far the best sounding speaker I have ever had the privilege of living with.

Widget

JuniorJBL
06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Put that CNC on a truck and bring it on a Lansing Heritage Member tour:yes:
Then we could all have some!!:applaud:

Great work Widget

Titanium Dome
06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Widget

They look spectacular.

hector.murray
06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Just beautiful Widget. Is there such a thing as a speaker Oscar?

Guido
06-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Huhh!

Come on Widget give us some info about x-over pleaaaase!

GREAT Work!

Guido
06-17-2005, 03:44 AM

Vader, Paris Hilton, who cares! The 250ti are GREAT!

But I'll have always a pair of horn speakers in the house. 4435 will hopefully ready until end of the year. And then we'll se what we can do with those nice little 2431's in them. :bouncy:

Figge
06-17-2005, 04:19 AM
4435 will hopefully ready until end of the year. And then we'll se what we can do with those nice little 2431's in them. :bouncy:

hi guido!

ím starting to think you have your own jbl factory:)

sonofagun
06-17-2005, 04:35 AM
First off the original post on this thread is hilarious...love it!

Hey, the answer to wifeys objections to big boxes is obvious, ain't it?

JUST COVER EVERYTHING UP WITH FOAM GRILLES! ;) ;) ;)

Now to be serious...really...

Mr. Widge...The pics of your speaker are EXACTLY what I need to design/integrate foam grille...

(by the way it is GRILLES and not GRILLS - look it up in the

narydiction...oops, I did right say that didn't I?:blink: )...anyway

...to design/integrate foam grillEs into your lovely speakers. I can see clearly the configuration of the drivers and baffle. This combined with my knowledge of the foam material and fabrication/attachment makes my end of the design/fabrication process easier. Thanks.

HELLO THERE ALL...:)

I am a real person in real life and real time...I am NOT just a computer cypher and/or electro-bitetheral digit! :D :applaud: :blink: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01000101010010100101110110100100101101001100100101 11110010

(pssst...swallow the blue pill!)

Cyclotronguy
06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Widget,

I did show them to Ms E. The short version is that she wants something like that for her San Rafael office.

The conversation (rather one sided went something like this) Sez she: "Don't we have drivers on the shelf to do something like that?" Notice how they quickly become our drivers.

I'll call my brother, I'm sure he would love to help you build new speakers.

Sister in law and I can go clothes shopping while you two boys cut wood. I can take your old zen-amp.... you won't mind. I have a B'day soon; a nice green I-pod and docking cradle would be a nice gift don't you think... and you don't use that Magnum Dynalab tuner anymore, it's black and the rest of the Hi-Fi is silver.

And then the line I really hate: "Remember when I gave up Bxxx Speakers to marry you!

Cyclotronguy

Mr. Widget
06-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Huhh!

Come on Widget give us some info about x-over pleaaaase!

GREAT Work!
Currently listening to them with 96dB/octave at 500Hz and 300dB/octave at 10KHz courtesy of DEQX. I am boosting the bottom ~30Hz significantly (Which these woofers handle quite well by the way) but I plan on adding a Sub1500 below ~40Hz to see how that works out.

Hey gun... I must have missed an "e" as I do usually have one in my grilles.:)

Widget

JuniorJBL
06-17-2005, 10:09 AM
She should be a member hear:blink:

JuniorJBL
06-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Currently listening to them with 96dB/octave at 500Hz and 300dB/octave at 10KHz courtesy of DEQX. I am boosting the bottom ~30Hz significantly (Which these woofers handle quite well by the way) but I plan on adding a Sub1500 below ~40Hz to see how that works out.

Hey gun... I must have missed an "e" as I do usually have one in my grilles.:)

Widget

You could call it the LHF US tour:D

Mr. Widget
06-17-2005, 10:17 AM
These beasts weigh about 300lbs ea. I don't remember what my CNC weighs, but Bertha, my mill, weighs about 3,000lbs... we don't travel well.;)

Widget

JuniorJBL
06-17-2005, 10:19 AM
These beasts weigh about 300lbs ea. I don't remember what my CNC weighs, but Bertha, my mill, weighs about 3,000lbs... we don't travel well.;)

Widget

The LHS Traveling CNC Show:bouncy:

Zilch
06-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Obviously, sonofagun could do a MUCH better job if he had the actual speakers there to work with.

That way, he could get it absolutely correct.... :D

JuniorJBL
06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Obviously, sonofagun could do a MUCH better job if he had the actual speakers there to work with.

:yes:

Guido
06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
hi guido!

ím starting to think you have your own jbl factory:)

Figge it's so much fun to build them :)

When I bought the 250ti recently it was a complete different feeling. Buying something already finished??

But you can be sure that I'll start tweaking soon. Those taiwanese networks do bother me ;)

The 4435 is a nice winter project :D

sonofagun
06-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Un-uh! An all expense (and I mean all!) expense paid vacation to "where they are" (Vasquez - "Aliens", yeah, give me a room with Vasquez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applaud: )

uhhh, where the speakers are...

that's all.

:blink: (I think I'll make this my signature?)

Charley Rummel
06-18-2005, 03:46 PM
"...I don't want those huge ugly things in MY living room!!! Put them down in the basement family room or get rid of them!!!"

This was the statement my wife made when we first moved into our current home, and she found me surveying the living room (oh, excuse me - HER living room!) for likely locations of my C34 and C40. It could be a lot worse. My home office in the basement is also my sound room, which is off the family room.

Regards,
Charley

Fred Sanford
06-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Luckily, I bought my house before even starting to date my wife. This house had a doctor's office added onto the back, after I took out all the walls in there it was a 26' x 10' room with 9' ceilings. Say hello to the recording studio (or, "the place to put the big JBLs and Altecs"). I'm currently building a room in the basement for the control room (or, "the place to put the smaller JBLs").

She had dated another musician with a studio for 11 years before we got together, she's remarkably tolerant of it all and I'm quite grateful. She does put candles & cards & photo frames in front of the Living Room surround speakers all the time, but that's a pretty minor issue all in all, don't you think? Besides, those are Canton speakers, so they don't count here in this forum, right?

je, looking for ways to bolt a 2245H into the Living Room couch...