PDA

View Full Version : Forum flakey Sun. 6/12/05 ??

johnaec
06-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Several times today the forum here has just died on me, right in the middle of reading messages. The same thing has happened with several other pages here, kinda' like the problems of a few months ago. I'll come back later and it's working again...

Am I the only one seeing this? All other websites are fine.

John

Ian Mackenzie
06-12-2005, 06:58 PM
No problems here this morning could be a local problem.

Ian

rloggie
06-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I couldn't get the forum at all from my work computer today. (What am I to do, work?). At home it's fine. Another member across town had no trouble at all.

Ian Mackenzie
06-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Try it again tomorrow and let us know how you go.

Ian

rloggie
06-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm off the next two days:D . But if there's trouble Wed, I'll reply to this post.

Thanks,

norealtalent
06-12-2005, 07:43 PM
I had trouble one time this am but hit refresh and everything was fine. Spoke with Gonzo and he couldn't get on at all. Go figure...:blink:

JuniorJBL
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
2 different services one comcast one cbeyond. I had trouble with both. I was wondering if we had a DNS change or something.
Shane

LE15-Thumper
06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
I couldn't get on about 9:30 central time Sunday night

Ian Mackenzie
06-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for letting us know.

Ian

johnaec
06-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Back on again 9PM Pacific time. I also got an email from Widget saying he couldn't get on. 'Seems to be a northern California problem...

John

johnaec
06-12-2005, 09:50 PM
It's definitely a DNS problem. If I use the IP address, 198.80.11.57 , instead of audioheritage.org, I can get to everything. Lansingheritage.org is fine, it's just DNS fr audioheritage.org that intermittent - DNS must be down somewhere...

John

pmakres1
06-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I couldn't get on the site for about a half an hour or so Sunday morning from here in Florida. I guess this was from about 11:00 to 11:30 A.M. Sunday morning. I kept getting the old "The page cannot be displayed" message.

Peter

It's happening again-as I tried to submit this post I could not access. Seems to affect my Laptop's wireless network, but on this computer (tower PC ethernet cable DSL connection) it seems okay. All other sites can be accessed on my Laptop's wireless network. The problem I experienced Sunday morning was also on the Laptop's wireless network. But again, only this site seems affected.

Titanium Dome
06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I couldn't get on here in SoCal either late afternoon to early this evening. All seems to be fine now.

JuniorJBL
06-12-2005, 11:10 PM
It's definitely a DNS problem. If I use the IP address, 198.80.11.57 , instead of audioheritage.org, I can get to everything. Lansingheritage.org is fine, it's just DNS fr audioheritage.org that intermittent - DNS must be down somewhere...

John
If you could use the IP address then that is the problem. I could not locate the IP address when it was down. I could however get to John Nebel's company page. Right now I can not get to the site via my work T3 but I can get to it via Comcast. That could change any time now. Thanks for the IP address John.
Shane

John Nebel
06-13-2005, 05:23 AM
Someone is messing with the DNS reg and audioheritage.org is gone for the moment. lansingheritage.org is still registered.

audioheritage.csdco.com will work until Don gets the DNS reg fixed.

If you want to see this for yourself, use nslookup and start with the root name server.

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Thankyou for your assistance John.

Ian

Don McRitchie
06-13-2005, 06:59 AM
The problem appears to have been addressed. A hold was placed on our domain which meant that it was dropped from the nameservers until the hold was resolved. As a result, anyone using the URL http://www.audioheritage.org to access the site or forum would be blocked from access.

The specific problem was due to an issue between the registrar of record and the company that I renewed the domain with since I just discovered that they are not the same. I renewed audioheritage.org in April 2004 for two years with a company called Becamamtion (our original ISP). It turns out that they are a reseller for the registrar of record, a company called OLM. OLM's records only showed a renewal for one year with an expirary date of April 24, 2005. On Sunday, they pulled the plug on the site for having past the expiration date.

I couldn't do anything about this until this morning when the companies in question were open for business. Becamation claimed that the problem lies with OLM and that they would sort it out with them. Just before posting this, I checked the registration status and the hold has been lifted. It will take time for the nameservers around the world to update. Over the next 24 hours, normal access should resume for everyone. It already has for me.

JuniorJBL
06-13-2005, 07:06 AM
For letting us know about the situation.:D
Shane

johnaec
06-13-2005, 07:35 AM
It was still out earlier this AM but appears to be working fine now.

Thanks!

John