PDA

View Full Version : 035TiA Spiders

johnaec
06-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I recently purchased a single L5 for drivers to replace some I needed, and Titanium Dome was nice enough to pick it up and pull the drivers for shipping for me, (Thanks, T.D.!). But when testing the drivers, he found there was no output from the 035TiA, even though it didn't appear to have an open or shorted coil. (The L5 had been temporarily stored in an outside shed by the seller.) I'll let Dome take over, quoted from a PM he sent me: :blink:

Quote: John, this is one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen, but it ends in good news for you.

I've got your four speakers in my spare room downstairs which I use as an office/guest bedroom. It has among other things a DD 5.1 sound system in it with JBL SAT10 and Bass10 speakers. While I was down there last night checking email and listening to iTunes, I glaced at the bed sheet I have your speakers sitting on, and I noticed a kind of brown stain around the 035TIA. Odd I thought. Even odder, as I looked closer, the stain was moving!

Turns out it was dozens of teeny, tiny baby spiders, crawling all over, and coming from between the the plastic mounting plate and the magnet assembly. Being such a bizarre sight, I shook all the little ones off the sheet (outside), and I took a chance and sucked around the gap with a vacuum (felt bad about sucking some of the blighters up that way, really).

Finally, I decided to open her up (without your permission, sorry) and found some empty egg sacks around the VC and one small but very dead Momma spider under the dome. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it. How the heck did she get in there? There's just not that much room, and it appears she couldn't get back out. I do remember some webs inside the cabinet and a couple of dead spiders, but I've seen that lots of times in speakers stored outdoors.

There appears to be no physical damage to the VC or anything else, including the foam, and now the damn thing works!

So I hope you're not upset that I took the 035TIA apart and that you're glad you've got a working driver. At least I'm happy you'll be getting four good speakers now.

Thanks, Dome, for tracking down the 035TiA "spider" problem... :applaud:

John

Robh3606
06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
That's a great story!!!

Rob:applaud:

GordonW
06-09-2005, 07:54 PM
You know, I looked at the title of this thread and thought to myself: "035Tia... spider... what the heck would a spider have to do with a tweeter? Tweeters don't use spiders! Somebody must be confused..."

... but then it becomes apparent that this indeed DOES have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with a round, corregated piece of starched fabric mounted to a voice coil... :blink:

Regards,
Gordon.

Alex Lancaster
06-10-2005, 07:54 AM
:applaud: Fun thread.

JuniorJBL
06-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Dome you are one very nice guy!!:applaud:

Titanium Dome
06-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Sorry all, but I was so intrigued by this bizarre circumstance that I forgot to take any pictures. :banghead: However, after the fact I did remember to take some pics of the detritus I removed, so I'll post the post mortem shots after I get home.

In the meantime:

http://journals.aol.com/abrasivist/Abrasivist/entries/1334

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardspics/14968629/

edgewound
06-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Actually...some Vintage JBL tweeters do use a spider.

Every revision of the LE25 cone tweeter uses a spider. I have at least one in my shop.

Thanks for listening...This was a nice thread.

Edgewound