PDA

View Full Version : JBL/EAW

leif
06-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I saw a local ad with some EAW stuff, and I must admit I have never heard about EAW before. But the stuff looked really cool, but of course it`s PA stuff and not for home use.
I went on their web page and could not find much info about the drivers, but wonder if they can have any connection to JBL... These supertweeters looked familiar, but could of course be just _looking_ familiar... http://www.eaw.com/products/DCT2.html

Anoyone know about EAW, is it good stuff?

57BELAIRE
06-09-2005, 11:41 AM
My experience with EAW started with a pair of two-way bookshelf sized monitors that were being used as .....MAINS!

They were crisp, clean, heavy, loud and expensive. I could just imagine a large four-way array :applaud:

If you can afford them and they haven't been abused you can't go wrong!

Boss96
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
We use EAW's in our church, the mains are 4 cabinets that have one 15", one 10" mid and a huge comp. driver that sits in front of the 15. We had to change the VC's on the tweeters once, they have something like a 3" VC.
In addition to the mains we have 2 EAW subs that have 2 15's in each cab. The 15's in the subs are rated at 1kw each...and are driven by a Crown 3600 amp which means they are driven by 3600 watts in parallel mono operation. The other drivers have somewhat smaller Crowns driving them with an active crossover.
EAW's have a good reputation among pro sound engineers, ours sound very good and can play incredibly loud in a mid size room that can seat 5-600. The speakers are rated for a max spl of over 130db@1 meter.
Bob

boputnam
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I'd agree with the generally favorable impressions. I've run into a number of EAW installs in the venues we play - they are "OK", that's for sure. They aren't my favorite, but they smoke older and lesser-grade JBL's which can be harsh and edgy.

However, with JBL's newer lines of SRX, VRX and certainly the VerTec, I'd not bother to compare. JBL's phenomenal Differential Drivers and the large-diameter CD's JBL is loading in these series perform remarkably well - actually, superbly. They are astonishingly flat (read: very little EQ needed at very few frequencies) so GBF is huge; they handle big power, are light and just sound damned good. Very warm, and even.

And I'm NOT a JBL dealer. I'm a user that pays my way. I'm just an increasingly strong fan of their newer pro line(s).

pelly3s
06-09-2005, 11:45 PM
the list of drivers EAW has used. Eminance (still being used), RCF, B&C (some still used), and Fane for some tweets. I belive the DCT2 is a B&C almost 100% sure of that. EAW makes a great cabinet, their crossover have so much going on though, and they become power hungry.

ralphs99
06-11-2005, 05:21 AM
I think they also used some TAD components in one system. It's surprising the wide range of parts they seem to use. Other companies like Meyer stick with just a small range of drivers.
Some of the best nightclub systems I've ever heard have been EAW. But I've heard some not so good EAW rigs too. I guess it depends on which particular boxes are being used. I think if you're interested in EAW stuff Leif, you gotta go and listen to it first hand.
Cheers, Ralph

pelly3s
06-11-2005, 05:37 AM
They part that gets everyone about EAW is their cabinet design, they are built so well. There really isnt another company who makes boxes as good as they do, also their time involved in their crossovers is crazy.