PDA

View Full Version : Need direction/help on fixing drivers

kworrilow
06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Hope this isn't too broad a question. I have several drivers (LE5-2 midrange and 123a-1 low-end) that look terrific cosmetically, but don't work. I'd like to learn to troubleshoot the problem, and then learn to fix it if possible. Any suggestions? (Books? Websites?) For example, I have a couple 123A-1's that look beautiful, but gives minimal sound and the cones don't move AT ALL. I assume that the coil is shot, but don't know what to do from there. Another example; I have several LE5-2 midranges that give no sound at all. When I switch the cone with that of a working LE5-2, the problem travels with it...so I again assume it's a problem with the coil/cone, not the magnet. Any suggestions? (i know it's not economic to send these to a repair facility...but have to believe that if I knew what I was doing, I could replace bad parts with good ones from drivers with torn cones, for example. Thanks for supporting the ignorant.

Zilch
06-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Some simple tools like an ohmmeter to measure voice coil resistance will go a long way in helping to troubleshoot drivers.

The problem is, after doing that, JBL only allows its factory authorized service centers to purchase/install factory cones, which are actually complete subassemblies, including voice coil, spider, dustcap.

A variety of aftermarket parts are routinely available on eBay, and some factory stuff, too. Unless you're in the speaker repair business and doing some volume, the distributors of those items aren't going to mess with you, either.

Several forum members ARE in that business, and can probably supply you with the parts you need for a few drivers. DIY refoaming (replacing cone surrounds) is routinely done. Reconing less so. LE5-2 and 123A-1 are so common they're not worth the expense of fixing. Yet.

Use them as learning tools....