PDA

View Full Version : Serial #s & year of manufacture?

mario.bono
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
New guy here. I love this place. Especially Boputnam's "how to refoam" thread. That is SO sweet.
Two questions for now:

Is there any way to figure out the year my speakers were built/sold based on the serial #s?
I have:
L100A's # 171121A & 171893A
L50's # 65414 & 65418
L36's # 51017 & 51015

Also, I could use some help from the married guys out there. I need more believable excuses to slip my ever increasing pile of hi-fi gear past the wife. I've already used "I got these for $10. No, really." (that one was true) and "No no no...this was in the garage behind some boxes. Yeah...it's been there for at least a year." Any others would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

pmakres1
06-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Mario!

Well, you could always try "this one was under the bed..." or, somebody (think up a name) died and left this one to me...

Thank goodness I don't have a wife to answer to...I'd never get by with all this stuff! :D

I don't know if JBL can search build dates by serial numbers...I'm sure somebody here will know. I'll be interested to find this out myself.

Good luck with the wife! If I think up any more creative excuses I'll let you know!

Best regards,

Peter

Robh3606
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Welcome

Sorry but any records for that were lost in the Northridge Earthquake years back.

Rob:)

Audiobeer
06-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Try this one.....I know it's low but......Look at these babe. The guy wants me to check out the functions and refinish. He's going to pay me next week, but I'm not starting on it till then. With the money we can by the ____ you wanted. After being set up for a week let her know the guy still hasn't paid you to start! It's got you mad! In a month let her know that enough is enough and he owes you storage on top of repairs! When the second month comes around let her know the Asshat has abanoned them.

:bs:

mario.bono
06-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that when I was searching the threads. I was hoping someone out there might be able to ballpark it based on their own serial #s and memory of when they got their speakers.

Audiobeer
06-03-2005, 06:45 AM
I'm guessing late 70s on the L-100s, early 80s on the L-36s. I have never owned the L-50s so I cannot guess. Someone else will though!

pmakres1
06-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Try this one.....I know it's low but......Look at these babe. The guy wants me to check out the functions and refinish. He's going to pay me next week, but I'm not starting on it till then. With the money we can by the ____ you wanted. After being set up for a week let her know the guy still hasn't paid you to start! It's got you mad! In a month let her know that enough is enough and he owes you storage on top of repairs! When the second month comes around let her know the Asshat has abanoned them.

:bs:

Heyyyyy.....that's a good one! :applaud:

Peter :D

boputnam
06-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I need more believable excuses to slip my ever increasing pile of hi-fi gear past the wife. Tell her it's your version of a yacht - but it takes up less room and is completely paid for.

Actually, I've found that after the right upgrades my wifey can hear the improvements, and now is holding me hostage by laying claim to half my gear if I dump her.

She is thinking of getting a bronze nameplate for one of the 4345's... :o:

louped garouv
06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Actually, I've found that after the right upgrades my wifey can hear the improvements, and now is holding me hostage by laying claim to half my gear if I dump her.

She is thinking of getting a bronze nameplate for one of the 4345's... :o:

:rotfl: My wife is holding me hostage as well..... can't tell you how many times I have heard "this collection sure has grown in our time together" :rotfl:

Audiobeer
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Bo.......I'M SORRY BUT SHE HAS "SO" CROSSED THE LINE! :biting:

pangea
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Mario!
Glad you decided to join us on this great forum!!!

I have a few ideas. If there is a risk you're breaking up the relationship in the future, I'd say that they're only on loan or deposit an you'd want to put them to use while in your custody and if she doesn't want them in the house, just ask her to at least listen to them, before she makes up her mind and then you tell her that you your self has never ever protested against anything else in the house, that she wanted there, so it would be only fair that you should be able to have the last word on these few sq. feet of space, in the living room, right!? Especially since it would mean so much to you!!!

BR

Roland