PDA

View Full Version : NOT floor speakers

Zilch
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm tired of it. L100's are NOT floor speakers, never were, and never will be.

Nope.

[With optional floor stands, well, MAYBE....]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61377&item=5779159512&rd=1

[DO make good pavers, tho.... :p ]

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
You should see the pathetic built-in dorm shelves I put my poor L100s on in college: six-and-a-half feet high over the room's windows. Miraculously, the shelves themselves never broke, but one very sad night a combination of Boone's Farm, chocolate mesc, girls gone wild, and Deep Purple knocked them right off the shelves unto the floor.

Talk about a downer. Instantly straight. :shock:

After that, the L100s were "floorstanders" during all co-ed parties.

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm tired of it. L100's are NOT floor speakers, never were, and never will be.

Nope.

[With optional floor stands, well, MAYBE....]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5779159512&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61377&item=5779159512&rd=1)

[DO make good pavers, tho.... :p ]

I agree, right up to the part about the pavers! Look out friend, you might
wake up the dogs! :D :duck: :duel:

Peter

JBLnsince1959
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
You should see the pathetic built-in dorm shelves I put my poor L100s on in college: six-and-a-half feet high over the room's windows. Miraculously, the shelves themselves never broke, but one very sad night a combination of Boone's Farm, chocolate mesc, girls gone wild, and Deep Purple knocked them right off the shelves unto the floor.

Talk about a downer. Instantly straight. :shock:

After that, the L100s were "floorstanders" during all co-ed parties.

bummer... what a waste of chocolate mesc.... :)

how bad was the damage to the speakers?

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
To misquote Vince Lombardi: "The corners, always the corners!"

Fortunately they were the back corners, and they got crunched but not destroyed. The same fall today might fracture the cabinets, but they were virtually brand new, still young and springy, and there were blankets and pillows on the floor.

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
bummer... what a waste of chocolate mesc.... :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

JBLnsince1959
06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sooooo...you've been there too....... :p

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Sooooo...you've been there too....... :p

Uhmmm..,no comment! :uhmmmm:

:D

JBLnsince1959
06-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Uhmmm..,no comment! :uhmmmm:

:D

Ok, just as I thought..... :rotfl:

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
:hyp: :hyp: ;)

Tom Loizeaux
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree that "bookshelf" speakers should not be placed on the floor.
Shouldn't ALL speakers, or at least their high frequency drivers, be positioned at ear level? Of course "ear level" depends on whether one is standing or sitting, but the idea is to give the sound a direct and frontal path to the ears. Sit and lean your head back and you'll need them up near the ceiling!

Tom

Steve Gonzales
06-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Shouldn't ALL speakers, or at least their high frequency drivers, be positioned at ear level? Of course "ear level" depends on whether one is standing or sitting, but the idea is to give the sound a direct and frontal path to the ears. Sit and lean your head back and you'll need them up near the ceiling!

Tom Bingo!, that has been my ONLY gripe about L300's ( one of my all-time favs), recently I've toyed with the prospect of buying some and putting them up on risers to get the mid up to ear level (like my L220/222's) while in a normal , seated position, just as you say AND throw a pair of 076s' in them for kicks.

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Tom

Tom, in an effort to expose my bucolic upbringing, the first time I saw some 4310s I remarked, "Dang, those things is upside down."

Later I learned that the typical studio installation required the HF drivers to be at the bottom to be at ear level. :p

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Bingo!, that has been my ONLY gripe about L300's ( one of my all-time favs), recently I've toyed with the prospect of buying some and putting them up on risers to get the mid up to ear level (like my L220/222's) while in a normal , seated position, just as you say AND throw a pair of 076s' in them for kicks.

But doesn't your L220/L222 mid horn mod do the same thing...:D

P.S. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear about that driver/horn combo that fits inside the L220 cab and lets us close the back of the cabinet flush!! Allows us to have our cake (with icing!) and eat it too! C'mon Steve, there's gotta be a way to do it! :bouncy:

Peter

Steve Gonzales
06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
But doesn't your L220/L222 mid horn mod do the same thing...:D

P.S. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear about that driver/horn combo that fits inside the L220 cab and lets us close the back of the cabinet flush!! Allows us to have our cake (with icing!) and eat it too! C'mon Steve, there's gotta be a way to do it! :bouncy:

Peter Hi Peter, I have tried in vain so far to conquer that obstacle :banghead:
As for the horn mod, yes it does do the same, but I have to admit, the 136a bass is really something to behold! I always say that I don't feel I'm missing much (if anything) ,but, there is that extra oomph that the L300's have that makes me love that model. I would swap the 077's out for some 076's because that is what I like too ;) . No "stockers" for Gonzo! (I can't help it!)

BTW, I'm working on some of the "optional grills" for the L220 family, look for them here soon ;)

pmakres1
06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi Peter, I have tried in vain so far to conquer that obstacle :banghead:
As for the horn mod, yes it does do the same, but I have to admit, the 136a bass is really something to behold! I always say that I don't feel I'm missing much (if anything) ,but, there is that extra oomph that the L300's have that makes me love that model. I would swap the 077's out for some 076's because that is what I like too ;) . No "stockers" for Gonzo! (I can't help it!)

BTW, I'm working on some of the "optional grills" for the L220 family, look for them here soon ;)

Well, of course the horn mod approach doesn't give us the 136A bass, but when you start talking about raising the L300, and then even adding an 076, I have to start wondering...BTW can you believe I have never heard a set of L300's? :( :o:
But I know they must be great just from what I know of JBL and JBL drivers! But even so I always think about that lowboy design and how the tweeter is too low. At any rate, I'm sure when you say you have tried in vain so far to conquer the horn/close the back of the cab obstacle you do mean SO FAR!! :D

Meanwhile, I eagerly await your unveiling of the "optional" L220 grille!! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Very best,

Peter

Steve Gonzales
06-01-2005, 10:37 PM
The grills are in the finishing stages as we speak. just a bit more tweeking to get the fabric to flow smoothly into and around that cut-out, you know?. I don't have an original to work from, nor have I ever seen one in person, so I want to get it JUST RIGHT!:D

Hey Bud," L300 everything" is Bad**s ! ,but especially those 15 inchers, WOW!, I love them. I won't be selling my L220/222's to get them though:p

lodoc
06-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Zilch's comment begs the corollary question...

Are there FLOOR speakers that should not be used as bookshelf speakers due to dispersion characteristics?

Yeah, I'm the guy with the workshop looking for appropriate JBL's. And my current speakers reside on some industrial shelves on their sides at approximately ear level.

Zilch
06-04-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm also irked by "Ruthless Agression" and "Ground-Pounding Bass" . :p

Are there FLOOR speakers that should not be used as bookshelf speakers due to dispersion characteristics?Guessin' the ones with sloped front baffles should stay on the floor, is all. Anything with 2405 (077) UHF needs to be "aimed" at the listener(s), as the vertical dispersion narrows with increasing frequency: 40° at 10 kHz, 35° at 16 kHz, and 30° at 20 kHz. Horizontal is down to 65° there, as well.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2405.pdf

Another reason I've recommended 4628B's with their 2404H-1's for your shop.

Most JBL large format monitors were made for wall or soffit mounting, i.e., not really floor speakers; even 4430 and 4435 were recommended to be mounted upside-down in that case, to preserve optimum time-alignment.

Those having horns with dispersion lenses usually provide for rotating the lens in horizontal mounting. 2405 should be rotated as well, if present, to preserve horizontal beamwidth, unless you're wanting a narrow horizontal soundfield in exchange for an expanded vertical one.

57BELAIRE
06-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, of course the horn mod approach doesn't give us the 136A bass, but when you start talking about raising the L300, and then even adding an 076, I have to start wondering...BTW can you believe I have never heard a set of L300's? :( :o:
But I know they must be great just from what I know of JBL and JBL drivers! But even so I always think about that lowboy design and how the tweeter is too low. At any rate, I'm sure when you say you have tried in vain so far to conquer the horn/close the back of the cab obstacle you do mean SO FAR!! :D

Meanwhile, I eagerly await your unveiling of the "optional" L220 grille!! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Very best,

Peter

I think the mere fact that the 300's sloped baffle and base negate the necessity of raising it to "ear level". That, in conjunction with the slant-plate lens which can be configured to fire upward or downward, gives the seated listener a direct shot.

Peter...if you ever make it over to the East coast you are welcome to drop by and give mine a listen....and then I'll crank up an original 150-4c Paragon for a real eye-opening experience.:D

pmakres1
06-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the mere fact that the 300's sloped baffle and base negate the necessity of raising it to "ear level". That, in conjunction with the slant-plate lens which can be configured to fire upward or downward, gives the seated listener a direct shot.

Peter...if you ever make it over to the East coast you are welcome to drop by and give mine a listen....and then I'll crank up an original 150-4c Paragon for a real eye-opening experience.:D

Hello 57,

You have indeed raised some good points here...I based my comments solely on visual impressions, and as I confessed I have never had the pleasure of auditioning the L300. Curiosity may well get the better of me and I may indeed take you up on your offer one day! I have also never had the pleasure of auditioning a Paragon. I don't doubt for a minute that these are both superb systems..both from years of reading JBL related stuff and from the comments of the forum members since I joined. Your handle says "Gold Coast"...I assume you mean somewhere in the Boyton Beach area? You would also be welcome to drop by here if you are ever on the West Coast..(Clearwater-Largo area) :)

Best regards,

Peter

57BELAIRE
06-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Peter

Actually I'm just a little north in W. Palm Beach.

I'm on the west coast frequently and if time permits would love to stop by and hear your rig...I'm particularly interested in your wall panels....I really need some serious room tuning and you seem to be adressing that problem with form and function. Did you make these or purchase?

I was going to buy some wedges for the hot spots but now I'm gonna wait.

Russ

pmakres1
06-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Peter

Actually I'm just a little north in W. Palm Beach.

I'm on the west coast frequently and if time permits would love to stop by and hear your rig...I'm particularly interested in your wall panels....I really need some serious room tuning and you seem to be adressing that problem with form and function. Did you make these or purchase?

I was going to buy some wedges for the hot spots but now I'm gonna wait.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I designed and made the panels. Originally I had cemented grey foam wedges to the walls, and when after 8 years or so they deteriorated, I decided to make custom panels that could be easily taken down when it came time to replace the foam. The rear side of the panels are covered with a composite material called "TF Sorb" (made of "mass loaded vinyl" with 1/4" foam decoupler) intended to reduce noise transmission through walls, machine enclosures, etc. Here are some photos that show the basic idea of how I put the panels together. The frames are made from Red oak shelf cap with 1/4" thick firring strip to form a ledge on which then rests a 3/16" foam board base panel that the exterior Acoustic foam is then mounted to. In the sample the foamboard is white, for the actual panels I painted the front side of the foamboard brown to avoid seeing white through the areas where the foam sections meet together. For the very large panels, I also included stiffeners for the frames. Let me know when you will be in the area, you're very welcome to come by for a look/listen. I'll be happy to show you my full file on the project, which I completed in two phases: The first for the major sections, and the second for some of the smaller panels. I think the whole effort ran me about $1000 give or take. Depending on how large your panels are, you may need to plan as I did for cutouts for AC receptacles. Take a look at this website for info on the materials: http://www.tecnifoam.com (http://www.tecnifoam.com/) . Hope the pictures I posted will be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Peter :)

pmakres1
06-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm on the west coast frequently .

Russ,

By any chance were you on the west coast a couple of Sundays ago and do you actually have a restored 57 Chevy Belaire in dark blue?? I complimented a fellow on one and I wondered if by freak chance that could have been you...?? This little chance meeting occurred at a Publix, on Carrilon drive, just off the Howard Frankland Bridge. The car was beautiful.

Peter

lodoc
06-05-2005, 08:25 PM
rotating the lens in horizontal mounting. 2405 should be rotated as well, if present, to preserve horizontal beamwidth,

Thanks Zilch. Am glad to hear rotation is an option when I hoist those big muthas onto the shelves. My shop will require horizontal dispersion to be maximized.

Unfortunately, the fellow with the 4628B's is not ready to part with them yet. But we all have to have our goals....

Zilch
06-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, the fellow with the 4628B's is not ready to part with them yet.Well, keep tellin' him how terrible they sound at his place.... :p

57BELAIRE
06-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Russ,

By any chance were you on the west coast a couple of Sundays ago and do you actually have a restored 57 Chevy Belaire in dark blue?? I complimented a fellow on one and I wondered if by freak chance that could have been you...?? This little chance meeting occurred at a Publix, on Carrilon drive, just off the Howard Frankland Bridge. The car was beautiful.

Peter

Peter

WOW!!!! Thanks so much for soundproofing tips....I think thats the way I'm gonna go. I've been looking at Auralex wedges but didn't want to glue them to the walls.

Here's my pride and joy... :D

johnaec
06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Here's my pride and joy... :DWow! 2 door, and not a Nomad?

John

57BELAIRE
06-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Wow! 2 door, and not a Nomad?

John

....it's a Nomad...originally marketed as a " sport wagon" so I guess it's Chevy's first SUV:D

...enough of this nonsense....BACK TO JBL's! :applaud:

JBLnsince1959
06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
....it's a Nomad...originally marketed as a " sport wagon" so I guess it's Chevy's first SUV:D

...enough of this nonsense....BACK TO JBL's! :applaud:

No, No, NOT enough of this nonsense ( just a little bit more pleeeeease)...wonderfull looking car. Has it been restored inside as well as outside ( looks soooooo good). Is it all original? Got to know!!!!!

pmakres1
06-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Peter

WOW!!!! Thanks so much for soundproofing tips....I think thats the way I'm gonna go. I've been looking at Auralex wedges but didn't want to glue them to the walls.

Here's my pride and joy... :D

Very nice! I had to wonder though if it was your vehicle I was admiring. You never know, it's a small world! Good luck with your foam panels..let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help out!

Best regards,

Peter :)

57BELAIRE
06-06-2005, 08:18 AM
No, No, NOT enough of this nonsense ( just a little bit more pleeeeease)...wonderfull looking car. Has it been restored inside as well as outside ( looks soooooo good). Is it all original? Got to know!!!!!

Oh alright....just one more:D

The body and trim are stock, everything else is custom....thanks for making my day :applaud:

Russell B.

pmakres1
06-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Oh alright....just one more:D

The body and trim are stock, everything else is custom....thanks for making my day :applaud:

Russell B.

Awesome!! :applaud: :applaud:

Titanium Dome
06-06-2005, 09:40 AM
That's just sinful...and excellent! :bouncy:

Got JBLs in that sweetie?

JBLnsince1959
06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
..thanks for making my day :applaud:

Russell B.

No, thank you for making OUR DAY. That is one sweet Mama... ( 350?)

Titanium Dome
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Now, why don't we ever talk about car audio here? maybe I'll start a thread. :hmm:

Or classic rides and classic JBL?