PDA

View Full Version : Crossover nightmare

audiodog1
05-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I have floor wedges with RCF L15S800 15s & JBL 2425J 1" horns. I put some cheap Emminece xovers in and keep blowing the light bulbs. Someone please tell me what type of xover I need & where to get them or how to build them.
Thanks

Zilch
05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
What horns are on the 2426J's?

Look here for starters if it's 2370A or equivalent:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/4691B%20Network.pdf

Here's JBL's early equivalent wedge:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Cabaret%20Series/4604B.pdf

You'll find others in SR and SR-X series, maybe.

Build your own crossovers from these schematics (just 4 parts), or check with JBL pro parts to purchase them complete. They may still have them.

Note: Unless terribly mismatched, those bulbs are protecting your compression drivers from whatever bad stuff you might be doin' there....

bbrown
05-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Have you perhaps thought that your monitors levels are too high? I know someone who had the stage monitors so loud that you really didn't need the mains on. Cranked on the mains and had to leave. I value my hearing too much to put up with that.

Bruce

GordonW
05-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, with those bulbs blowing like that, if you DO manage to build a crossover that WON'T blow up, then you'll probably just start blowing up 2426 diaphragms instead. One of three possibilities is happening here:

1) You don't have enough speaker for the venue- less likely with monitors (you pretty much never need huge monitors, unless they're like 15 feet away from you down-stage), since they ONLY have to provide the PERFORMERS with their monitor mix from close range...

2) You don't have enough amp for the monitors (the amp is clipping, and the extra HF energy from the clipping harmonics is being sent through the crossovers and is killing the protection bulbs). You could just try a bigger amp- the worst thing, is that the same levels, the problem will stay the same- unless you start cranking the big amp LOUDER than before, the total power to the speaker should be pretty much the same, just without all those clipping artifacts)...

3) As was postulated just above, you just plain have the monitor mix TOO LOUD. This is a common mistake by many bands... they set the levels high to start with, then their ears start to "shut down" due to the proximity to loud noise (the ears will try to protect themselves from sustained loud noise, by shutting down the ear canal somewhat), they have the engineer crank it even harder... starting a vicious circle of louder and louder. Most good, stable bands learn to deal with more moderate monitor levels... helps eliminate the "Pete Townsend syndrome"... you don't want to wind up mostly deaf after a number of years of performing...

I'd say it's time to re-evaluate how you're using these monitors...

Regards,
Gordon.