PDA

View Full Version : 4311 crossover question

bbrown
05-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Since the 4311 doesn't have an inductor on the woofer, would it tighten up the response by adding one? As is, it receives the full freq. signal on its terminals. Or would this mess up the whole response of the system?

Bruce

Earl K
05-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Since the 4311 doesn't have an inductor on the woofer, would it tighten up the response by adding one?

- Inductors ( electrically / & in general ) just about always loosen up the bass signal .

As is, it receives the full freq. signal on its terminals.

- That ( & the rest of the network ) is all part of the charm behind this simplistic design .

Or would this mess up the whole response of the system?

- IMHO, it's really best , to not mess about with this design . Embrace it or punt it .

- If you desire change, buy a pair of the countless JBL 12" book-shelf variants that followed along which did include inductors ( in the bass & midrange networks) and then see if you think they are an improvement . Sell , the losing pair. ( Others here can guide you to some other model numbers if you articulate your present dissapointments with your L100s )

:cheers:

bbrown
05-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Earl,
I'm NOT disappointed in them at all. If I was, I wouldn't have kept them all these years. I got them new in the early '70s. I love them. It was just a thought. All products are built to some price/performance ratio, and these I am sure were no exception. It's just the tweaker in me.

Thanks,
Bruce

Zilch
05-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Giskard posted some recommendations on this earlier. Use Advanced Search to find more info.

rek50
05-31-2005, 04:50 AM
A "Bypass Capacitor" search may yeild a thread that suggests positive benefits to adding the bypass caps to your network. Also there are schematics showing the evolution of the 4311 networks. http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/3112C%20Network.pdf