PDA

View Full Version : now this makes me sad....

Figge
05-30-2005, 01:03 PM
it makes me a little sad inside when i see this...once the great name of altec & Lansing, and this is what it has become?, Not worth more than this? where is the respect? it should be ilegal to use such great names on such crap! damn now i have to go listen to some blues. (hopefully i will never have to do just that with the Altec Lansing ACS45)

Steve Gonzales
05-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Absolutely NO resemblence to the Mighty Model 19's or A7 series, SAD...:(

Titanium Dome
05-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Jeez! Is that an air purifier or a portable compressor?

What an insult to the legacy! :barf:

jim c
05-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Small air compressor with two air filters on top.It works great for blowing the dust off the tops of my L300's.I believe there is a sale going on right now @ wall mart $9.95 buy two and get the third one free. Or something like that.:barf:

Figge
05-30-2005, 02:58 PM
hmm...ACS45=air compressor system 45? ok now it starting to make sense:)

Charley Rummel
05-30-2005, 06:51 PM
The once mighty Altec brand name has succumbed to brand management for the last several years (ask your local MBA about the concept). Like so many others before, and not just in consumer audio. I really find it heartbreaking to walk into a Circuit City or Best Buy, or the like, and see brand names plastered all over the Asian crap they carry, which is most likely manufactured by a small hanfull of producers for overlabeling by OEM's, that once upon a time meant quality and performance. (i.e. Jensen may as well be Chen Tzen; Altec may as well be Hol Tcheck, etc.):(

Charley Rummel

Tom Loizeaux
05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
This just makes the prestige companies that hold on to their legacy by continuing to make quality products only that much more prized.
Hats off to JBL for continuing to persue the highest standards in their speakers and systems. Yes, they make computer and car speakers, but they still put a lot of effort to stay in the lead in serious audio.

Tom

Stonehenge Man
05-30-2005, 11:04 PM
This just makes the prestige companies that hold on to their legacy by continuing to make quality products only that much more prized.
Hats off to JBL for continuing to persue the highest standards in their speakers and systems. Yes, they make computer and car speakers, but they still put a lot of effort to stay in the lead in serious audio.

Tom

Isn't car audio serious? Well, then again I'm going to refoam an 8.00 pair of 6X9 Jensen Triaxials, used to run 1980s Sparkomatics my brother gave me 15 years ago, and I prefer Delco:p

Spelled O E M:blink: :blink: :blink:

pangea
05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
it makes me a little sad inside when i see this...once the great name of altec & Lansing, and this is what it has become?, Not worth more than this? where is the respect? it should be ilegal to use such great names on such crap! damn now i have to go listen to some blues. (hopefully i will never have to do just that with the Altec Lansing ACS45)

I totally agree!!!

Those in charge, should really be ashamed, dragging the name in the dirt like this. I've seen similar examples though, of bad taste and judgement on PC-speakers with the JBL badges on them as well. Same bad taste/judgment along with the same kind of greedy busines trends.

But then again, I guess this is what you get, when people who will do anything for a dollar, are at the helm and when everything in this world is just about money and power. :biting:

BR
Roland

EDIT: Wasn't there a dispute already at the beginning, between the Lansing brothers, on what to produce and how much quality that should be built in to the products?
Wasn't that what made them split the company, James B. wanting to build high quality speakers only and Altec wanting to build "cheaper" stuff, as well as toasters and other stuff?

Steve Schell
06-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Companies are born, live (hopefully for several decades) and die. When the end of this cycle is reached, one of the last remaining assets to be liquidated is the company name. It is often quite valuable if the company has built a strong brand recognition and reputation for quality with the public. Once the name has been sold, the new owner is free to plaster it on anything he wishes... usually junk. This is all regrettable of course, but it is part of the business life cycle.

As a piano technician, I have watched with disgust as many of the finest names from the golden era of the American piano industry (1880-1930) have been applied over the past few decades to horrendous little cheaply built pianos. More recently these inferior goods arrive from distant shores, as the American piano industry is all but gone now. Notice any parallels to the audio industry? Sign of the times I guess.

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Pangea:

I know what you mean, but I think a company like JBL has to make those crappy speakers (maybe less crappy than some of the competition) for a couple of reasons. I'll simply concede that one reason is to suck some money out of a market that they'd otherwise not get any revenue out of.

The second reason, though, is one I can accept, even embrace. This is the mindshare/marketing part of the equation, where a company has to get its mass produced stuff out there to keep its brand viable in the marketplace.

Bose does this very well, getting its junk into computer speakers, multimedia equipment, cars, museums, etc., in a successful effort to get people to think Bose=speakers. JBL does the same: computers, multimedia equipment, cars, etc., so people think JBL=speakers. If people at the bottom of the economic purchasing food chain aren't biting, many of them won't bite on the way up.

One could point to other manufacturers that don't do this, but they tend to end up as boutique brands or niche marketers and not multinational companies like Harman/JBL.

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay, I'll come clean and say I bought a JBL Creature II speaker set for my desk at work so I can hook it to my PowerBook and play iTunes through the speakers. I listen to dance/trance/electronica all day long, and it sounds sweet.

Classic JBL? No. But it fits into my "JBL Everywhere" plan for world speaker domination, and it gives me a chance to talk up real JBLs when people inquire about them.

"You like these? You should come over and hear my..." and away we go! :drive:

pangea
06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Okay, I'll come clean and say I bought a JBL Creature II speaker set for my desk at work so I can hook it to my PowerBook and play iTunes through the speakers. I listen to dance/trance/electronica all day long, and it sounds sweet.

Classic JBL? No. But it fits into my "JBL Everywhere" plan for world speaker domination, and it gives me a chance to talk up real JBLs when people inquire about them.

"You like these? You should come over and hear my..." and away we go! :drive:

Hey, I'm not the priest! :D

But still, the market and the world is littered with A LOT OF (more or less) USELESS CRAP.

Perhaps if we didn't use so much of our recourses on buying all this garbage, then maybe we might be able to get what we really want/need, i.e. things that last, instead of buying in to the notion that it is inevitable, to build stuff that is meant to brake down as soon as the warranty runs out, so that we have to buy the "improved" version next year... and the next year....

I hate that! :biting:

Ooooops perhaps this is going a bit OT. :p

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
06-01-2005, 03:19 PM
At least the A7 is still available and made in the US. There are a couple of lesser "real" Altecs, too.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

GarMan
06-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Altec isn't the only victim.

Have you seen what happened to the Dynaco (http://www.dynaco.com)brand?

Titanium Dome
06-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Altec isn't the only victim.

Have you seen what happened to the Dynaco (http://www.dynaco.com)brand?

OMG. This is from their Web site and pretty much says it all:

Since 1990 the Dynaco Division of Panor Corp has been actively introducing innovative new products with the latest offerings in MP-3 players, Home Theater and Surround Systems, DVD Players, LCD Flat Screen Monitors, Audio/Video Receivers, etc.

Today Dynaco also offers the latest products from Sony, Panasonic, Denon, etc.. To fulfill all of your Audio and Video Home Entertainment needs.

Come and experience the continuing legacy of the Dynaco mark.

It's a Web Mall. :bs:

GarMan
06-03-2005, 09:09 AM
You missed the part about: Dynaco is now a Bose dealer,

Titanium Dome
06-03-2005, 09:29 AM
You missed the part about: Dynaco is now a Bose dealer,

I saw it and immediately went blind in denial. :no: :no: :no:

norealtalent
06-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I remember the first time I heard the JBL, Junk But Loud, phrase. I was appalled. I'd never heard any of the LX, Radiance or SVA series. I thought the guy was stark raving mad...Now I very sadly understand... He'd never heard anything from the day when JBL meant "Just Bitchin' Loudspeakers." His only JBL experience was this new age *%#& for sale at ***** and ****** and *********( I can't bring myself to say the W word)

...We will leave this place an empty stone,
or a shining ball of blue we can call our home,
Ashes to ashes, all fall down...

jarrods
06-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Yes it is annoying to see the JBL badge on things like the toy Creature computer speakers but to top that my laptop has 'JBL PRO' inbuilt speakers. JBL Professional..... really?

Figge
06-10-2005, 02:38 AM
my laptop has 'JBL PRO' inbuilt speakers. JBL Professional..... really?

2245:s?

pangea
06-10-2005, 04:19 AM
2245:s?

You got a be kidding! Anyone could see that there is no room for a 2245...

I think a 2235 would be the maximum woofer capability there... :D

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
06-10-2005, 08:44 AM
You got a be kidding! Anyone could see that there is no room for a 2245...

I think a 2235 would be the maximum woofer capability there... :D

BR
Roland

More like 0.02235. ;)

Our lone Windows laptop (in a sea of Macs) at home is a Compaq with a JBLPro label on it. It's a neat label.:rotfl:

sonofagun
06-11-2005, 02:30 AM

The glass is half full too...

At least the name is still around - it's REALLY sad when you don't see the name at all anymore like:

"Allied Radio" or

"Heathkit"

...just my 2 cents :blink: (I love this smilie in case you haven't noticed!).

jarrods
06-11-2005, 08:04 PM
well i was a bit suprised when i took of the laptop's cover... :D

Titanium Dome
06-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Well done! :rotfl:

porschedpm
06-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Jarrods, that is fu-uh-unny. :applaud:

pangea
06-13-2005, 04:49 AM
well i was a bit suprised when i took of the laptop's cover... :D

Well, there you have it!

If you hadn't shown me the "proof", I would have NEVER believed it! :jawdrop: :applaud:

BR
Roland