PDA

View Full Version : JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

fredmarantz
08-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum !

I've just aquired an integrated JBL SA-600. I curious to know if anybody on this forum knows anything about it. I've learned from the net, that some japanese charges pretty much for it. Is it that valuable/collectible or what? I remember that they were sold in my country (Denmark)in the early seventies along with the golden age JBL-speakers. It looks very nice and hasn't got any noticeable blemishes
I know that it is one of the first generations of SS. It hasn't got wood sidepanels, but I've seen one on the net that has those. Was it standard or were they optional?

I didn't plug it so far as I don't know when it last was in action.
Paid around 200 $ for it. If anybody knows anything about this amp……i'd be happy!!.

Regards and thanks
Freddy

JBL Dog
08-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Freddy:

I own an SA600 that I'm currently using with a C45 Metregon while my McIntosh tube gear is being serviced. It is an excellent quality piece that will rival a good tube amp. If your SA600 is in good condition, you stole it at $200.00.

It is a very collectible amp. Mint condition units will fetch as much as $1,000.00 on Ebay. The unit retailed for $345.00 in 1967. The wood panels were a $15.00 option. I actually have the receipt for my unit. The original owner paid $345.00 (w/wood panels) in April of 1967. That was a lot to pay back then!

40 super-clean watts per channel is the output. Very conservatively rated IMHO. It is a perfect compliment to any JBL speaker system from the 50's/60's

Fire it up man! You'll love it!
:rockon1:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

fredmarantz
08-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks a lot "JBL-DOG"!
I appreciate your answer. I had a feeling, that this amp was a little special. Does anybody know how many was built? What years was the production? How many versions - I saw a picture of one, that had a significantly darker faceplate)?
Rarity? Or maybe somebody knows a good link to more intense info. I figured that this forum might be THE place to ask. Why is this amp ( or other JBL-amps for that matter) hardly mentioned anywhere and why does it seem to fetch high yen, especially in Japan?. That's a lot of questions but I hope, that somebody "out there" . come on - everybody!!

Best regards

Freddy

4313B
08-15-2003, 08:21 AM
I scanned two reviews of the SA600 and sent them to the ftp site. Maybe they will be of interest.

danzela
08-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I hust bought a JBL SA660 and would be very interested in your 2 reviews. How can I get them ?

boputnam
08-15-2003, 04:43 PM
"I just bought a JBL SA660 and would be very interested in your 2 reviews. How can I get them ?" Unless I'm mistaken, we cannot retrieve stuff from the ftp site (ftp://ftp.audioheritage.org/), it is used for uploading Library material to the Lansing Heritage site (as many of us have done).

We must await the Wizard's handiwork to add uploaded things to the Lansing Heritage site. So, keep checking back to the
Lansing Heritage site Link (http://www.lansingheritage.org/) and, enjoy the wealth of info there in the meantime. Or, with any luck, someone might exchange some things via email... ;)

4313B
09-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Page 1/2

4313B
09-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Page 2/2

4313B
09-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Second Review

Page 1/2

4313B
09-01-2003, 06:26 AM
Second Review

Page 2/2

fredmarantz
09-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot Giskard!

They are very nice scans. I'm gonna read them carefully.

Freddy

Mr. Widget
09-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Ah Julian Hirsch! He never said a bad thing about any piece of audio gear he was paid to review. There certainly is information to be gleaned here but do read it with a grain or pound of salt.:)

Cool to relive yesteryear though!

4313B
09-01-2003, 08:40 AM
"There certainly is information to be gleaned here but do read it with a grain or pound of salt."

One doesn't read every review that way? :shock:

"Cool to relive yesteryear though!"

This whole forum reeks of it :thmbsup:

4313B
09-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by fredmarantz
Thanks a lot Giskard!

Freddy

You're welcome :)

Ananda
09-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum !

I've just aquired an integrated JBL SA-600. I curious to know if anybody on this forum knows anything about it. I've learned from the net, that some japanese charges pretty much for it. Is it that valuable/collectible or what? I remember that they were sold in my country (Denmark)in the early seventies along with the golden age JBL-speakers. It looks very nice and hasn't got any noticeable blemishes
I know that it is one of the first generations of SS. It hasn't got wood sidepanels, but I've seen one on the net that has those. Was it standard or were they optional?

I didn't plug it so far as I don't know when it last was in action.
Paid around 200 $ for it. If anybody knows anything about this amp……i'd be happy!!.

Regards and thanks
Freddy

Dear Freddy,

This is a very good amplifier. I own one. This is the best amp I have ever used. It dose not have very high power out-put. But the Quality is un matched. I still use this amplifier. The smoothing capasitord were changed two years back.

Regards,
Ananda.

fredmarantz
09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
hi!

thanks a lot for your response. In the meantime I have got another one - so it's now two!! yeah....
They are very nice amps and looks darn good - I think.
I see that you're from Sri Lanka?

Kind regards
Freddy

GunTher
07-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum and perhaps somebody can help me with my problem.

I own a JBL SA 600 - after long time standing in my mothers wardrobe because I was on the road and for other reasons I now want to sell it.

My problem: I do not find the cable anymore, I'm missing the plug connector from the amp to the jack - so I can not run the machine.

A Hifi Dealer told me, these cables for this kind of plug-in with two tongues - sorry I don't know the correct wording - will not be build anymore.

Before I now chance the whole connexion mode - is there a possibility to get (to buy) one of those original cables?

Thanks for help

hjames
07-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum and perhaps somebody can help me with my problem.

I own a JBL SA 600 - after long time standing in my mothers wardrobe because I was on the road and for other reasons I now want to sell it.

My problem: I do not find the cable anymore, I'm missing the plug connector from the amp to the jack - so I can not run the machine.

A Hifi Dealer told me, these cables for this kind of plug-in with two tongues - sorry I don't know the correct wording - will not be build anymore.

Before I now chance the whole connexion mode - is there a possibility to get (to buy) one of those original cables?

Thanks for help

Post picture of the connector on the Amp and we'll have a better idea of what you mean ...

GunTher
07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Post picture of the connector on the Amp and we'll have a better idea of what you mean ...

Good Idea, I will do it asap.

Thanks & greetings
GunTher

bcarso
07-17-2016, 03:11 PM
My father was in the habit of taking away the equipment that was replaced when he upgraded things for his custom audio installation customers. Thus the family acquired an SA600. There are two things to bear in mind with these integrated amplifiers.

One: they are not indestructible. If you really drive them hard and for a long time the output devices will fail, usually the power PNPs. And 40W per channel is easy to clip at high listening levels. This in itself is not destructive, but I know of some of my father's customers hell-bent on high levels that blew up the amps.

Two: beware of the ones that have poisonous Cadmium-plated RCA connectors. As they oxidize and otherwise deteriorate, the common shell contact between the jack and a plug will become high resistance, and the result will be a lot of mains power hum. Be sure to wipe off the oxides and wash your hands, then be sure that the plug shell is a snug fit.

They were pretty decent amps for their day, although superseded now by many others IMO. If you listen at moderate levels and have not-too-demanding loads, and have an antiquarian bent, you may be quite satisfied.

I don't know the reference offhand, but there is a technical article about the power amp portion of the design by the designer, the late great Bart Locanthi, who as mentioned by Hirsch christened it the "T-circuit". It's revealed as being a cascaded complementary emitter follower output stage, although drawn in a somewhat unusual fashion, which apparently failed to convince the US Patent Office :)

1audiohack
07-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage bcarso!

Barry.

bcarso
07-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Welcome to Lansing Heritage bcarso!

Barry.
Thanks!

cohearent
08-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Couldn't let the quip about 'apparently didn't convince the patent office' in post#20 go. Bart Locanthi was awarded U.S. Patent # 3428908A in 1969 for the circuit widely known as the "JBL T-Circuit". It would be best to check facts before making remarks like that.:)

ivica
08-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Thanks a lot Giskard!

Freddy

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-SA600~SA660.pdf