PDA

View Full Version : 4628B's - opinions on sound

lodoc
05-25-2005, 10:08 PM
I posted a while back for clues on filling a JBL void in a larger structure. Zilch suggested the 4628B's and adding a subwoofer "If you must" with some crossover and driver modifications. I may have found a pair within a reasonable distance.

Interestingly, the fellow considering selling stated he was disappointed with them. If I can paraphrase him correctly he indicated they were great when highly powered but showed rather limited lower-frequency response when used as 'regular' speakers at low volume. I realize speaker listenability is quite subjective but would ask others that own them to comment as I continue my search. And if anyone in SE michigan has a pair please invite me to listen. I'll bring the beverages. :cheers: .

Regis
05-26-2005, 07:13 AM
on the 4628 Cabaret and I've listened extensively to them is that your source is correct on the lack of really deep LF. These are really big speakers and JBL lists the 4628 as a "Keyboard Reinforcement" speaker. I used them for home use (my ex-wife still has them) and you can power these things beyond comfortable listening levels with no problem, but in my opinion, the sound coming out didn't have the nice separation and detail that a pair of JBL home speakers would have. It came out loud, but blended somewhat. My other JBL's, (L-110, L-150 and L-300) offer a good deal more for your listening pleasure and take up less space.

Zilch
05-26-2005, 12:19 PM
We're talkin' a car restoration shop here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5192

Precision imaging is not an issue, I wouldn't think.

If those 4628's are under or around $500, buy them.

They have the same woofer in 'em as Project Everest.

THAT had a subwoofer option, too....

Regis
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
...in that case, have at it! I can see the 4628's working in such an environment. Sure wouldn't have to sweat bondo dust marring the finish!
:D

Alan Fletcher
05-26-2005, 02:02 PM
A friend of mine has a pair of 4725's I sold him in his shop (also a barn), driven by a Mackie M-1400 which I also sold him...

When customers hear the system and comment on the sound, he simply says, "Yeah, I have a good shop radio...". :D

-A

lodoc
05-26-2005, 07:54 PM
We're talkin' a car restoration shop here ..........

Yes, indeed. About 2400 sq/ft. And the work area requiring quality sound reproduction is approx half that space. The fellow that owns the speakers attempted to use them in his home powered with a Denon receiver. It didn't work out for him. H was not sure if they were just underpowered or if he was using them inappropriately. His 'ear' requires bass that is palpable. He did not like them at low volume. Hence, they may be for sale.

4725's !?! you guys are killiing me with all these numbers. I did not realize the Lansing company was so prolific. But I trust the expertise on this forum and look them all up, read the specs and any reviews or application information. Now if I could only LISTEN to all of them....

And yes. Body filler, grinding and welding dust as well as primer leaves a dust coat everywhere.

Audiobeer
05-26-2005, 08:24 PM
I think in a body shop enviorment they would sing!

martin_wu99
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I nearly found out all the posts about 4628B, i listened 4628B as a hifi speaker in my home for years,my opinion is that it sounds some old cinema sound.