PDA

View Full Version : LE5-8 vs LE5-9 for 4313B, another LE5 question? Argh!

Audiokarma
05-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, I've actually searched and found the LE-5 matrix!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706&highlight=LE5-8

I see difference in cone, voice coil and SPL. Would I likely hear an audible difference if using one in one speaker and the other in the other speaker?

Would the LE5-8 be a suitable replacement for the stock LE5-9 in a 4313B?

Thanks in advance.

4313B
05-26-2005, 04:28 AM
Would I likely hear an audible difference if using one in one speaker and the other in the other speaker?Now how would any of us know what you can hear? :dont-know

Would the LE5-8 be a suitable replacement for the stock LE5-9 in a 4313B?Technically no. Don't mix different voice coil types.

Audiokarma
05-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks Giskard, that' the answer I should have expected. :o: I figured you'd be the man. ;)

Anyway, I may have mis-stated my question. Maybe it should be: Should the average person be able to discern an audible difference between them? I suppose that question is inherantly irrelevant since it misses the point of keeping them matched and to spec.

Reason I ask is here is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5777080131&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

DMMD
05-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I'd say probably... The two were not really compatible.

Member... "clmrt" is looking for a single Le5-6,8,10,12...for his L36's.

I'm sure SOMEBODY has a single one out there....

If I were "you" (which I'm not...as far as I know) I'd look for a Le5-9 or a pair of Le5-11's.

Can you recone the one you have?

pmakres1
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
FWIW, when I got my 4313B's, one LE5-9 had a functionality problem, and the other had a badly dented dome. I had them reconed, but due to availablility problems I had to have them reconed using LE5-2 cone kits (C8RLE52). I could hear no difference between the original and the recones. I did of course, have both drivers reconed so as not to mix voice coil types, as Giskard pointed out. Fortunately, the service center had some aluminum domes to use, so the drivers look like a 4313B midrange should.

4313B
05-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Anyway, I may have mis-stated my question. Maybe it should be: Should the average person be able to discern an audible difference between them?I really don't know. After all the stuff I've seen on eBay in which all the physical damage and/or modification "doesn't affect the sound", I'm at a loss to empathize with what other people are hearing. :p

clmrt
05-26-2005, 09:30 AM
I really don't know. After all the stuff I've seen on eBay in which all the physical damage and/or modification "doesn't affect the sound", I'm at a loss to empathize with what other people are hearing. :p

True that.

4313B
05-26-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd say probably... The two were not really compatible.

Member... "clmrt" is looking for a single Le5-6,8,10,12...for his L36's.

I'm sure SOMEBODY has a single one out there....

If I were "you" (which I'm not...as far as I know) I'd look for a Le5-9 or a pair of Le5-11's.

Can you recone the one you have?If you can find a C8RLE59 kit...
If clmrt is looking for a single LE5-10 I have one.

DavidF
05-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes, I've actually searched and found the LE-5 matrix!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5706&highlight=LE5-8

I see difference in cone, voice coil and SPL. Would I likely hear an audible difference if using one in one speaker and the other in the other speaker?

Would the LE5-8 be a suitable replacement for the stock LE5-9 in a 4313B?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you are asking but it seems you have two 4313 monitors, one with a bad midrange. You are contemplating installing a different model. Would that mismatch in midrange models "sound" different to the listener, even if he/she may not be sure if they are able to hear a difference?

I would say yes, very much so. The 4313 set up properly should have a very distinct soundstage with a focused center image (vocals meant to sound dead center would be dead center like one voice speaking in space between the speakers, as opposed to a large image vaguely between the speakers). Good imaging characteristics benefit from close performance matches on the two stereo drivers, especially important in the mid range where many localization cues are produced. Gross differences, and this is what would happen in using two different midrange drivers, will cause the image to wander and result in an unbalanced timbre and tone quality.

The LE5 and LE5-8,10 etc are different enough in performance to effect your decision. You may plug a different model LE5 and live with it if the stereo pairs are used for very casual listening, or in a setup where the pair can not be aligned for proper stereo effect (one box on the floor by the couch pointing one way, the other up on a shelf aimed 90 degrees from the other, sort of thing). If you have them oriented for good stereo sound, and you listen at sound levels that allow you to listen to the program material (not just soothing background sound), you should notice the difference. Try to replace or repair the original LE5, or replace both with the same LE5 variant. The latter is less than ideal but limits the damage of two mismatched drivers.

DavidF

Audiokarma
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your input DavidF. Looking at one pair with a single bad mid. Fortunately, I may have sourced an original, thanks to Giskard!

pmakres1
05-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Not sure what you are asking but it seems you have two 4313 monitors, one with a bad midrange. You are contemplating installing a different model. Would that mismatch in midrange models "sound" different to the listener, even if he/she may not be sure if they are able to hear a difference?

I would say yes, very much so. The 4313 set up properly should have a very distinct soundstage with a focused center image (vocals meant to sound dead center would be dead center like one voice speaking in space between the speakers, as opposed to a large image vaguely between the speakers). Good imaging characteristics benefit from close performance matches on the two stereo drivers, especially important in the mid range where many localization cues are produced. Gross differences, and this is what would happen in using two different midrange drivers, will cause the image to wander and result in an unbalanced timbre and tone quality.

The LE5 and LE5-8,10 etc are different enough in performance to effect your decision. You may plug a different model LE5 and live with it if the stereo pairs are used for very casual listening, or in a setup where the pair can not be aligned for proper stereo effect (one box on the floor by the couch pointing one way, the other up on a shelf aimed 90 degrees from the other, sort of thing). If you have them oriented for good stereo sound, and you listen at sound levels that allow you to listen to the program material (not just soothing background sound), you should notice the difference. Try to replace or repair the original LE5, or replace both with the same LE5 variant. The latter is less than ideal but limits the damage of two mismatched drivers.

DavidF

Very well said David..I was less than thrilled over having to recone my 4313B's LE5-9 drivers with LE5-2 recone kits, but as you (and Giskard) pointed out, it is best to use the same LE5 variant on both channels if you must use a different driver (or cone kit) as I was forced to. Right again, the 4313B's, when properly set up, do produce a very distinct and focused soundstage, a quality that my speakers retained after reconing with the LE5-2 cone kits.

Peter

hector.murray
05-26-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm asking to confirm what I believe is true. I think that the LE5-5, 9 & 11 are pretty much interchangeable electrically. True or false?
Next question - in a blind test Giskard, could YOU tell the differance between an LE5-5, 9 or 11.

DMMD
05-26-2005, 09:28 PM
First part = TRUE.

Second Part = Wait we must :blink: