PDA

View Full Version : Lansing Heritage 5th Anniversary

Don McRitchie
05-08-2005, 10:23 PM
May 25th marks the fifth anniversary of the public opening of this website and forum. That's around 25 years in internet time :D

Any suggestions on how to mark the occasion?

Ian Mackenzie
05-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Throw a party!

Ian

spkrman57
05-09-2005, 03:52 AM
I am thankful for this wonderful site!

Ron

Wardsweb
05-09-2005, 05:40 AM
Congratulations and Thank You Don. We all benefit from this site. :cheers:

Titanium Dome
05-09-2005, 08:56 AM
How about another raffle? Anyone have something to offer that might appeal to the whole group? (I'm thinking, I'm thinking. :hmm: )

Proceeds to go to the site as a birthday present. Winner pays shipping.

BTW, adding PayPal to the site would be nice.

Maybe a group package from around the country? I don't have anything stunning that I want to put in, but several decent things might make a compelling raffle.

boputnam
05-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Any suggestions on how to mark the occasion? Finish "May"...? :hmm:

Titanium Dome
05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Maybe a JBL mystery box? We don't tell anyone what's in it and just have people bid.

"This is a geniune JBL product in its original box. The shipping weight is 35 pounds."

Could be an L36, or a pair of LX300s, or an SCS set or a broken down LE14 in need of a total recone.

4313B
05-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Finish "May"...? :hmm:Whatever happened to that project anyway?
I thought all that stuff was being shipped to me.

Mr. Widget
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Finish "May"...? :hmm:

That was my first thought... then I woke up.

Widget

pmakres1
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
....or a broken down LE14 in need of a total recone.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Guido
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I often think what a crazy, weired and damned good crowd we are....

One can learn EVERYTHING to restore, upgrade or completely clone the finest speakers ever made here on this forum :applaud:

Thanks Don, thanks you other crazy JBL nuts.

I enjoy hanging around here!

We should have a party, but where? We are just too international :( What about announcing a new Lansing Heritage Tour?

BTW: I enjoy the sound of my small biased 4313B clones. And where did I learn to clone and even bias them?

HERE :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

PS: I could even improve my english here ;)

jblnut
05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I'll put on Little River Band's "Happy Anniversary" tonight and hoist a pint in honor of the occasion :cheers: .

That's about the best I can do in this virtual environment...

jblnut

LE15-Thumper
05-09-2005, 10:21 PM
May 25th marks the fifth anniversary of the public opening of this website and forum. That's around 25 years in internet time :D

As I mentioned in a previous thread.... "A Winnipeg Summit":applaud:

No pun intended :blink:

Steve Gonzales
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I think it would be nice to see a $5 (a dollar a year) donation sent to the site by each member, as a small token of gratitude. You could then, in turn, finance that grab bag. I know it is not a $$ motivated site, but that's the BEAUTY of your work here. Plus maybe a bottle of hair dye to cover all the gray (so- sorry) I've caused you recently :o: . In any case, you have built the premier JBL site in the WORLD and have made MANY, MANY JBL fans extremely happy. The way the site is designed,functions and the wealth of information is SUPERB!!. I apologize if the donation suggestion sounds cheap or offends, I do not mean it, I just think it would be cool to have $ to do something to make it extra special, that's all. Thank you Don, for all you have done and for being understanding and wise beyond the call of duty, Sincerely, Steve Gonzales :)

JBLnsince1959
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I too would like to thank Don for giving all of us crazy JBL fans a place to "hang out" :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

How about another raffle? Anyone have something to offer that might appeal to the whole group? (I'm thinking, I'm thinking. :hmm: )

hey, I know, we can raffle Dome's P.S. speakers, or just mail them around the country and let everyone hear them ( kind of like Yuri' amp) :D

paragon
05-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Open Party for all JBL members in the forum with live cam !!! :D
Thank you very much for this site !!

Eckhard (Germany)

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I could come up with a few items for a JBL grab bag. PM me if we go that route.
Thanks Don, John and all who make this site a place where you can laugh and learn all at the same time:applaud:
Shane

glen
05-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Well you have to celebrate a birthday with a cake!

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Exxxxxcellent:D

glen
05-12-2005, 10:45 AM
The top five ways I'd like to celebrate the Lansing Heritage birthday...

Number 5.
Raffle off or give away logo items JBL might be willing to donate: Caps, T-Shirts, Jackets, Keyrings, (Drivers?)

Number 4.
Maybe Altec would donate something too as their making a push for their reproduction VOTs

Number 3.
Come up with our own Lansing Heritage logo items so everyone could buy a Lansing Heritage cap, T-shirt or crew jacket.

Number 2.
A live online chat with Don, other guests might be a JBL rep talking about future products, or some your great interviewees who could recount JBLs past (Greg Timbers, George Augspurger).

And the Number 1 way I'd like to celebrate the fifth birthday of the Lansing Heritage website...

A group tour of the JBL factory in Northridge with fellow forum members!
Which could also be videotaped and burned to DVD to share with those unable to attend in person.

Steve Schell
05-14-2005, 01:22 PM
How to celebrate the 5th arriversary... let's see... how about an all expenses paid three week trip to Cabo for the site founders? All seriousness aside, probably the best way is for us all to continue to make use of the site features, contribute useful content and continue to spread the word.

Don cooked up a new forum category, still very hush hush at the moment. If I get my butt in gear, perhaps I can provide enough content to launch this forum in time for the anniversary.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Wow, time is flying thats for sure. I have made some great friends here that all share this insanity and for that I thank you.

Happy Birthday!

PS: We have a wonderfull huge Pool and Hotub with large open bar and Cassita in the back of the house. We could haul the Westlakes back there and have one heck of a party! It could easily accomodate 75-100 people. Maybe we should plan something? Palm Desert is paradise if you have never been here.

Ken

Ian Mackenzie
05-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Wow, time is flying thats for sure. I have made some great friends here that all share this insanity and for that I thank you.

Happy Birthday!

PS: We have a wonderfull huge Pool and Hotub with large open bar and Cassita in the back of the house. We could haul the Westlakes back there and have one heck of a party! It could easily accomodate 75-100 people. Maybe we should plan something? Palm Desert is paradise if you have never been here.

Ken

Bring on the Lansing Heritage Bab's Ken......

Ian

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Bring on the Lansing Heritage Bab's Ken......

Ian

I love things that cum in pairs!

I mean come. Sorry, my spelling is terrible!

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Steady...Stay..down boy down!

Anyway there are a number of members in your region Ken so why not do it!

Ian

Ps Now what would wifey say about this or will she be outa town!

Are you kidding, Julie loves a good party and could dance from dusk till dawn.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Seriously, if there is enough interest and its a wife/girlfriend thing. We could have a huge barbeque then party till dawn. I will post a photo of the Pool and Bar area. We could have a 30 x 20 dance floor and have a friggin blast. We'll all get to relive the past a little. I would love to host it.

I would need several guys to show up early to help haul the beasts outside and hook them up.

Lets get some feedback on it. We could pool the costs and split it with those attending.

Ken

johnaec
05-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd try to make it... 'Got a spare room? ;) Maybe group rate at a motel...

John

jblnut
05-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Here I am once again regretting not having moved back West...

Not only are all the JBL's out there, but the parties for the JBL's are there too :cheers:

jblnut

johnaec
05-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, I just re-checked the anniversary date, (May 25), and that would be too soon for me to make it, but maybe sometime in June, or even the 4th of July?:beach:

John

Robh3606
05-14-2005, 06:30 PM
"Here I am once again regretting not having moved back West...

Not only are all the JBL's out there, but the parties for the JBL's are there too"
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cheers.gif

Well if you ever go to NYC look me up. Can't let those guys have all the fun!

Rob:D

Ken Pachkowsky
05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Well, I just re-checked the anniversary date, (May 25), and that would be too soon for me to make it, but maybe sometime in June, or even the 4th of July?:beach:

John

The only problem with July is the heat. It hits 110 to 115 every day at that time of year.

Ken

John
05-15-2005, 12:10 AM
110-115 sounds nice compared to the 32f. temp and white stuff that was on the ground this morning between portage and brandon mb. on the trans canada hwy.:applaud:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-15-2005, 12:12 AM
110-115 sounds nice compared to the 32f. temp and white stuff that was on the ground this morning between portage and brandon mb. on the trans canada hwy.:applaud:

Been there, done that...

No thanks.

Hows the project coming John?

Ken

John
05-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Hi Ken I will be picking up the Baltic birch soon, and if it ever warms up the wood should start to fly.

Ian Mackenzie
05-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Another idea perhaps lefr field is a Lansing Heritage 5th Birthday nick nack...key ring..what ever. We would need to fund it obviously .

Maybe the Widget has some ideas...perhaps a widget for Don anyway!

Ian

Ken Pachkowsky
05-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Another idea perhaps lefr field is a Lansing Heritage 5th Birthday nick nack...key ring..what ever. We would need to fund it obviously .

Ian

That would be an interesting idea..

Steve
05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
I support the earlier suggestion by Steve Schell.... Cabo sounds great....3 weeks isn't long enough plus how to figure out what speakers to pack will be a mind bender. Getting Don out of the snow and into the warm sun, sitting on the beach watching the sunsets, ladies stroll by....nice

All we need is for someone to win a lottery and then we could charter a plane and fly all over the world picking all of us up and dropping them off at Ken's place for a party.

One thing that would be cool, and for know way too much work,( an understatement for sure) is to have a listing of all the speakers, goodies, etc. that each of us has with picts.
I was thinking along the lines of how the catalogs are. By year, pro or home line, Altec, JBL and Lansing Manufacture.... then by name, etc.
Starting with the earliest and progressing to current models etc.
That way one can get to see an actual photo of the speaker and componets etc. The listing of the person lucky enough to own them also....
and contact info, email etc. if the owner desired to be contacted. So if someone travels they could pull up the info of the area they are headed to go have a listen or look see, or needed a part etc. Of course for pride too.
At least for idea's it sounds good. Reality...is another factor.....

Then again, Cabo sounds nice.

Steve

Steve
05-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Aloha
On a more practical note....at least from my previous post...
How about making a CD of test tones and other goodies that one can use for setting up, testing and just listening to fine music.
I know other companies put out test CD's and even one test CD was created from the Bass list forum long ago.
Could be a couple of them....one for testing..tones, sweeps, correct wiring etc...other CD's could be royalty free, donated or apporoved music to show off our systems. Could even be music created just for us...
I know Altec used to give out a CD with their bigger speaker purchases.
This could actually turn out to be a benefit to be sold as a fund raiser also.
It would be nice to have the label actually printed on the CD itself. The audioheritage logo will do nice...
I vote for the CD to be preferrably black. Takes more beating and scratches etc...before messing up. Then again....gold is nice.
Songs...like flight of the cosmic hippo, Hotel California live...
Artist...like...Ronnie Earl, Diana Krall
Test tracks....Boston Acoustics bass test....
are on my dream list....for the CD....
What are your idea's to put on several CD's to be treasured by you and others...to enjoy and show off with?
Or as I like to do.... drive the neighbors nuts with loud music....of course it is clean, smooth and has real nice bass...and no distortion...except for the distortion from the windows rattling...

Steve

Ken Pachkowsky
05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Thats a good idea Steve, although I think there could be some copywrite issues if music tracks are included and its sold for profit. That being said, we could always create one and distribute it (outside the heritage site ) on a free basis amongst the members only. This would be on such a small scale that I doubt it would create a problem.

Ken

Audiobeer
05-15-2005, 06:15 PM
How about marking the occasion with a CD put together with tracks that make are JBLs shine and just sound great. A CD based on what we all agree are must listen too all time favorites. Ah never mind that may take till the 10 anniversary year to agree. If someone wants to put up another raffle together I'll finish the cabinets.

sonofagun
05-16-2005, 08:30 AM

Uhhh...

maybe get JBLsince 1959's dog to "mark" it? :blink:

Well, it's just a suggestion! ;)

JBLnsince1959
05-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Woof(er), woof(er)!! ( yes, yes)

glen
05-16-2005, 10:11 AM

Ian

I think many of us would be willing to pay for a commemorative knick-knack like a key ring, or a logo-wristwatch. I always see ads pitching business-promotional items like this in airline magazines. I think there's ususally a one-time setup fee for adapting the logo-art for production, and then a per-piece price with some minimum order. Maybe start with a conservative percentage of the number of L-100 raffle ticket buyers as a starting guess-timate. Or just ask people to sign up ahead of time?

Glen

glen
05-16-2005, 11:49 AM
One way organizations celebrate is by recognizing the contributions of those who helped create and maintain the legacy we are honoring here. This could take the form of an award, a certificate of recognition, or a simple letter of thanks on behalf of our whole community.

I would propose five classes of recognition.

1. Engineering contribution, for the great technical innovations of the past.

2. Signature contribution, recognizing the work that help create Lansing's unique identity in the public's mind.

3. Historical contribution, for individuals who helped fill in the blanks in the long and sometimes convoluted story of JIm Lansing and his companies.

4. Ongoing contribution, for the people at JBL who's work and innovations uphold and promote the brand in today's marketplace.

5. Forum contributions, to those who have so generously shared their experience and knowledge with all of us who visit this site.

Our founders, who've had the closest interaction with most of these folks would have the best idea of who's most deserving, and what kind of "thank-you" they might appreciate.

Our recognition may amout to a small thing to some of these people who are world reknown in their chosen field, but surely they have earned our heartfelt thanks.

Glen

JBLnsince1959
05-16-2005, 11:59 AM
OR, we could get together, get drunk and go get a tatoo saying Lansing heritage :D

Titanium Dome
05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
OR, we could get together, get drunk and go get a tatoo saying Lansing heritage :D

Sorry, I've already got a JBL tatoo on my ..... :moon: (fill in body part of your choice).

Glen–

Couldn't we have some "gag" categories, too?

most obnoxious
worst spelling for native English speaker
best spelling for non-native English speaker
owner of ugliest working speaker
best curmudgeon ("In the old days when they did things right...")
worst fan boy of new products (I win! I win!)
worst post ever

Okay, I'm kidding, but your idea of some recognition of key players is a good one. This is one way to put forward the contributions of folks who created the look and feel of the forum. This is essential for the many new members who come on board with the AVS/Audiokarma/AudioReview/AudioAsylum/etc. experience and don't immediately appreciate the different culture here.

I say we create a class of Lansing Heritage Fellows (male or female), and we induct a small group of five (or more) at the five year anniversary, then one (or none if we see no need) per year thereafter. Each person could get a mini-blurb on the Fellow's page, or just a screen name reference if he or she prefers.

IMO the blurb is in two parts: a) why the person is recognized as a Lansing Heritage Fellow, and b) a personal statement by the Fellow.

In my line of work (gang prevention), I recognize people all the time for going above and beyond what the average man or woman would do. With Don's permission (and permission to use appropriate marks), I'd be happy to coordinate certificates and placques for the honorees, if some folks would agree to put up a couple bucks each to defray costs.

(Don, I'd even pay the money up front then send receipts for reimbursement to avoid any possible impropriety.)

Earl K
05-17-2005, 05:46 PM
- I'd like to see an annual raffle of something ( some donated whatevers ) to raise monies towards the ongoing maintenance costs of this site .

:)

johnaec
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
How about making a CD of test tones and other goodies that one can use for setting up, testing and just listening to fine music.
Here's a freely downloadable CD set of test tones, (the contents are listed in the docs somewhere): http://www.4horsemen.net/binkster/

John

Titanium Dome
05-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Okay, it's May 22 and we still don't have a plan.

JBLnsince1959
05-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Okay, it's May 22 and we still don't have a plan.

No sweat, we still have few days :D

4313B
05-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Happy Fifth Anniversary Lansing Heritage!

:cheers: :band: :cheers:

Steelyfan
05-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Happy Fifth Anniversary to the nicest forum ever :applaud:
I wish all the members to find a forgotten Paragon (replace by other dreamspeaker if necessary) -e.g. in a barn or a yard sale- .;)

JBLnsince1959
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Happy Anniversary L.H

and thanks Don for all the work you did and continue to do..

:applaud:

porschedpm
05-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Happy Anniversary. Sent the Forum a little anniversary present.

:cheers::applaud: :bouncy: :wave: :dancin: :banana:

jblnut
05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
It's probably fitting that the traditional 5th anniversary gift is wood. No question that all my favorite pieces of wood in the house say "JBL" on them :) .

Happy Anniversary All !!!!

jblnut

Steve Gonzales
05-25-2005, 10:45 AM
This is the 5th anniversary of the LHS! :applaud: Well Done Don McRitchie!!!:applaud: .
CONGRATULATIONS

DMMD
05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Now there's something positive! :applaud:

glen
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Happy Fifth Anniversary to the Lansing Heritage community,
to it's esteemed founders,
and special regards to the indefatigable Don McRitchie,
who is ...er on vacation?

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYBODY!

Chas
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much Don, this has been a great experience since I joined up a couple of years ago.
Charles.
I hope you hoist a few tonight :cheers: .

louped garouv
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks so much Don...
I hope you hoist a few tonight :cheers: .
again, thanks Don.... Great site, great info, great members

here's to another great 5 years.......... :thmbsup:

Mr. Widget
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Happy Anniversary. Sent the Forum a little anniversary present.

:cheers::applaud: :bouncy: :wave: :dancin: :banana:

Now that's the spirit! Thanks Don, John, and the others!

Widget

Alex Lancaster
05-25-2005, 01:51 PM
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Congrats and thanks!!!

johnaec
05-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Happy Fifth! (...though I haven't even reached my 2nd here yet... :o: )

John

Robh3606
05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
I can't believe it's been 5 years since I stumbled into this site!!!! Great job Don!!

Rob:)

pmakres1
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Happy Fifth! (...though I haven't even reached my 2nd here yet... :o: )

John

I haven't even reached my first yet (far from it), but I'd like to thank all the members for the already very valuable assistance they have provided me...and offer my thanks and congratulations to those who have made the site what it is.

Cheers and best regards to all! :applaud: :cheers: :birthday: :thmbsup: :)

Peter

J.F.CLAERHOUDT
05-25-2005, 04:29 PM
:applaud: Best website since 5 years!!!:applaud:

:cheers: :dancin: CHEERS AND HAPPY FIFTH:dancin: :cheers:

:dj-party:

Ian Mackenzie
05-25-2005, 06:10 PM
again, thanks Don.... Great site, great info, great members

here's to another great 5 years.......... :thmbsup:

Absolutely, and also special thanks to John Nebel our site ISP sponsor.:applaud:

Ian

rockin'rushmore
05-25-2005, 10:11 PM
latest noob here.thanks Don and all who make this happen!:bouncy:

Titanium Dome
05-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Although it's too late for the East Coasters and Midwesterners, TransAtlantic folks, Oz inhabitants, and Far and Near East members, we've still got a little time in the West to mark the occasion. So highest regards to everyone involved in the site from the most obvious to the least.

Also a tip of the hat to the forum members who contribute mightily to the end result.

Then, a salute to Harman International and JBL for being so tolerant and helpful.

Finally, a recognition of the man himself, James B. Lansing, whose trials, tribulations, triumphs, and trademarks provided the foundation upon which so many have stood in benefit as employees, distributors, salespersons, musicians, store owners, movie house patrons, concert hall patrons, recording studio engineers, radio station DJs, stadium owners and attendees, home stereo enthusiasts, home theater builders, project builders, autosound nuts, boating enthusiasts, restorationists, eBay cannibals, and insane JBL collectors.

:applaud:

Steve Gonzales
05-25-2005, 10:53 PM
HERE-HERE!!! :applaud: