PDA

View Full Version : L-300's are up and running

Regis
05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
...and they sound really, really nice! It took a little while for the new surrounds to break in, but once they did, the bass was solid with a tight, crisp feel to them. Nothing boomy or slow despite being 15 inches. Mids and highs are really exceptional on these speakers. Very transparent with an airy, open feel to them. It does not feel like sound coming out of a variety of cones, but rather like an outpouring. If it could rain horizontally, that'd be about as close to describing it as I could get.

Vocals come off beautifully on these. A Diana Krall compilation (her 'Love Scenes' CD) came off sounding incredibly natural with the full timbre and range handled with no extra intonation or subtraction that I could tell. The big bass was plucking a deep mellow cord, a finger was being crisply snapped in time and Diana's voice just poured out with incredible warmth. Stanley Clark, Grover Washington and the CD's just kept dropping in the tray. When the saxaphone honked, by God, the sax honked but good! Cymbals and snares sound effortless on the 077's and when a fast rhythm was snapped out on a snare you could hear every stick strike and the subsequent fade. Just an unbelievable set of speakers.

JBLnsince1959
05-23-2005, 10:07 AM
:applaud: :bouncy: :thmbsup:

scott fitlin
05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
They are good, very good!

:applaud:

Titanium Dome
05-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes, they have a great sound and a beautiful presentation.

Steve Gonzales
05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
JBL COMPRESSION
DRIVERS !! :D :applaud: :bouncy:

speakerdave
05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
...and they sound really, really nice!

Just an unbelievable set of speakers.

Agree and agree!

David

pmakres1
05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
JBL COMPRESSION
DRIVERS !! :D :applaud: :bouncy:

Just what exactly are you trying to say here Steve? :D

bryantkenneth
05-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Very happy with my set too!

Robh3606
05-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Good for you!!! They are nice :D

Rob:applaud:

Regis
05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
That's where I'm at with the JBL L-300, Sansui G-22000 pairing! Scotty on the Starship Enterprise would've just had to shut the hell up "we need some more power Captain!", And Kirk would've replied, 'If I turn this volume knob much past a 1/4 turn, it might just destroy the ship!'

Seriously, at a 1/4 turn of the big machined knob, it's plentiful loud. Go a couple of notches more with Metallica's 'Bob Seeger' cover 'On the Road' and you can feel it head-to-toe! I can't even imagine the volume knob cranked to the noon position. My roomie after trying it out by himself stated yesterday that it might just damage the house. "Better too much, than too little..."

:p

jblnut
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
You've hit upon one of my favorite advantages of JBL's - they aren't afraid to play loud. If a speaker just keeps sounding better with more volume, what's a music lover to do ? You can't help but give it some more :) .

Does that big Sansui have power meters ? I'd be curious to know how much power it was delivering when you stopped turning it up. For me with the 250ti's, 1 watt is nice for a decent but not too loud level when the kids are in bed. 10 watts is fairly loud and great for filling the house with reasonably loud sound. 100 watts is really starting to get the floor and furniture involved and it's damn loud. 400 watts (peak) is where I stopped turning it up for fear of damaging the drivers. It still sounded very clear at that level though, and it was like being front row at a concert.

Nice to know the capability is there when needed....

:rockon2:
jblnut

57BELAIRE
05-27-2005, 05:16 AM
You've hit upon one of my favorite advantages of JBL's - they aren't afraid to play loud. If a speaker just keeps sounding better with more volume, what's a music lover to do ? You can't help but give it some more :) .

Does that big Sansui have power meters ? I'd be curious to know how much power it was delivering when you stopped turning it up. For me with the 250ti's, 1 watt is nice for a decent but not too loud level when the kids are in bed. 10 watts is fairly loud and great for filling the house with reasonably loud sound. 100 watts is really starting to get the floor and furniture involved and it's damn loud. 400 watts (peak) is where I stopped turning it up for fear of damaging the drivers. It still sounded very clear at that level though, and it was like being front row at a concert.

Nice to know the capability is there when needed....

jblnut

...from JBL's L300 sales brochure... "In almost all cases, the volume level generated by a JBL loudspeaker will become noticeably discomforting to the ear before the loudspeaker can be damaged by excessive power from the amplifier."

So CRANK IT UP!!! :applaud: ....that is, if you have gobs of ample wattage. Nothing will fry a batch of voice coils faster than a 15/15 watt amp trying to cover the neighborhood block party. :no:

Regis
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Yes, the big G has power meters, but they aren't operational (gotta get a service manual). I recieved my new caps from Digi-Key to replace the some of the ones that are leaking.

Does that big Sansui have power meters ? I'd be curious to know how much power it was delivering when you stopped turning it up. For me with the 250ti's, 1 watt is nice for a decent but not too loud level when the kids are in bed. 10 watts is fairly loud and great for filling the house with reasonably loud sound. 100 watts is really starting to get the floor and furniture involved and it's damn loud.

jblnut

majick47
07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Sure sounds like you have a nice combo Regis, L300 and that BIG Sansui. Wondering what the wattage/output of your Sansui is? I have a pair of Adcom 565 mono blocks (300 watt per side0 that I hooked up to my modified L200b speakers and the base was noticably fuller. At this time I'm running a Yamaha MX-2000 (130 watt x 2) amp and getting tempted to look for something in the neighborhood of 250-300 watts that would really bring out the low end. My first choice would be a Yamaha MX-10000 if I could find one.

jblnut
07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
You've got mail...I've got something better for you and luckily you're close enough to drive over and pick it up.

jblnut

Sure sounds like you have a nice combo Regis, L300 and that BIG Sansui. Wondering what the wattage/output of your Sansui is? I have a pair of Adcom 565 mono blocks (300 watt per side0 that I hooked up to my modified L200b speakers and the base was noticably fuller. At this time I'm running a Yamaha MX-2000 (130 watt x 2) amp and getting tempted to look for something in the neighborhood of 250-300 watts that would really bring out the low end. My first choice would be a Yamaha MX-10000 if I could find one.

"Duke" Spinner
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Yu are Bummin' me out ...

i won some L-300's on Fleabay ....

then the Scum wouldn't sell them to me .....:(.....:(......:(.........:(

johnaec
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
i won some L-300's on Fleabay ....

then the Scum wouldn't sell them to me ...What happened? Why wouldn't he sell them to you? International? He didn't set a minimum and then wanted to back out? What'd eBay say or do?

John

"Duke" Spinner
07-17-2005, 07:16 PM
seller would'nt return emails after the auction

closed at $ 1450, No Reserve

next day, the PayPud "pay now" icon dissapeared

seller finally emailed back, after a communication where i told him i was leaving fri nite, would be at his residence sat to pick them up

"damaged while packing for shipment, sorry"

fleabay could care, never responded to me ever

hey, all that counts is that he paid his listing fee, thats all they are concerened about......:(

johnaec
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
"damaged while packing for shipment, sorry"Yeah, right...:bs: There are some real jerks out there. :biting:

John

Audiobeer
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Well I guess it he got around the reserve fee! I had the same situation when mine only sold for $1700 and would have loved to back out. But I couldn't do that. Make sure you leave him crappy feedback! Just say something like "Dishonorable" That will make anybody bidding on his stuff to think twice!

Regis
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Sure sounds like you have a nice combo Regis, L300 and that BIG Sansui. Wondering what the wattage/output of your Sansui is? ...tempted to look for something in the neighborhood of 250-300 watts that would really bring out the low end. My first choice would be a Yamaha MX-10000 if I could find one.

Hey Majick47, the Sansui is a dual Monoblock design in one chassis and is probably underpowered for what you're looking for, as it's only 220 wpc. I can't even imagine wanting more than that, as I haven't been able to turn the damn thing halfway up yet! With the volume knob just past the 10 o'clock position, it's almost overwhelming. I haven't seen the Yamaha MX-10000, but my bud Steve Gonzales is running two Yahama M-series in a bi-amp set-up and they sound pretty wicked driving a mod'd pair of L-220's.

DukeSpinner, I'm sorry about the ebay fiasco, that truly sucks. Good luck in your search for a pair of L-300's. They are truly magnificent speakers that don't lack anything.:D

Lancer
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
They are truly magnificent speakers that don't lack anything.:DOh now! They lack a 2122 between the 136/2231 and LE85/2420. :rotfl:

Just dishing out a helping of grief guys! :p

boputnam
07-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh now! They lack a 2122 between the 136/2231 and LE85/2420. :rotfl: Bingo.

majick47
07-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Regis the Sansui 220 watts sounds like a perfect match for your L300. My Yamaha MX-2000 is rated a very conservative 130 watts but I have a fairly large room 19x26 with a high ceiling. The floor has wall to wall carpeting which really muffles/absorbs the sound. At some point I'm going to have hardwood flooring installed and that should liven it up.

Mr. Widget
07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
I can't even imagine wanting more than that, as I haven't been able to turn the damn thing halfway up yet! With the volume knob just past the 10 o'clock position, it's almost overwhelming.

Hi Regis,

It is quite likely that at "almost halfway up" you are close to full output. Most receivers are designed to be at full output between 12:00 and 1:00. One factor is the output of your source... but with a standard CD player you might be surprised to find out how close to full power you are. In any event go by the old JBL verbiage...

edgewound
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Regis the Sansui 220 watts sounds like a perfect match for your L300. My Yamaha MX-2000 is rated a very conservative 130 watts but I have a fairly large room 19x26 with a high ceiling. The floor has wall to wall carpeting which really muffles/absorbs the sound. At some point I'm going to have hardwood flooring installed and that should liven it up.

FYI....if you liven the room up with a hardwood floor, you're just going to smear all the marvelous detail that the JBL offer...you might want to reconsider...Do some more research.

Edgewound

majick47
07-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Edgewound thanks for the "heads up" re smearing the sound. My brothers listening room is somewhat similar in size, a little narrower, the flooring is oak and the room is on the very bright side to say the least for his 4311b. I have 6x9 bamboo matts over the carpeting in front of each modified (2405/3106) L200b. The bamboo matts were inexpensive and didn't seem to have any negative effect on the sound. New hardwood flooring won't be cheap so I'll do a lot of homework before I make any changes. The present setup with wall to wall carpeting and drapes provides little or no reflection which may not be a bad thing.

majick47
08-01-2005, 06:44 AM
It wasn't the wall to wall carpeting that was causing the lackluster sound, it was the underpowered amp (130 watts x 2). I just purchased a Yamaha PC4002m amp with over 400 watts x 2 and my modified (added 2405/3106) L200b speakers have the full richness from the highest to the lowest frequencies. The difference in amps can be heard at very comfortable listening levels. After reading a couple of recent threads on amps I was convinced that 250 watts was the minimum to adequately power any of the larger JBL speakers(L300/L220/L250 etc) and 400 to 500 watts will let the speakers show their true capabilities.