PDA

View Full Version : Question about SOV's

Boss96
05-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Read this post http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5943
and it got me wondering about these speakers.
First, why do the two woofers have different surrounds, is one a passive radiator or just a different woofer?
I would imagine these are pretty efficient speakers, just how loud can they play? My L100T's go to 115db measured 3 feet away and that is what they do according to my spl meter.
I was thinking I would like something that could play louder still and perhaps I could build something like the SOV's if it was what I was looking for. I doubt I would make the same cabinet but the design seems interesting.
Bob

Audiokarma
05-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Read this post http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5943
and it got me wondering about these speakers.
First, why do the two woofers have different surrounds, is one a passive radiator or just a different woofer?
I would imagine these are pretty efficient speakers, just how loud can they play? My L100T's go to 115db measured 3 feet away and that is what they do according to my spl meter.
I was thinking I would like something that could play louder still and perhaps I could build something like the SOV's if it was what I was looking for. I doubt I would make the same cabinet but the design seems interesting.
Bob

Hi Bob, the active woofer is the LE15 while the passive is the PR15. I'm not sure of measured acoustic output, but I can tell you that these are capable of an amazing SPL. I ran them with a 250 wpc Carver at the time. Using the analog power meters, I gradually upped the power till peaking around 100 wpc. It was the closest thing I've experienced to a live concert. I swear the neighbors must have been able to hear it a block away.

One of the drawbacks to the C60's or C50's is the low squat profile that doesn't provide ideal listening height. The original owner had custom furniture grade pedestals made that exactly matched the cabinets and raised them another 6".

I haven't owned any of them myself, but I would guess that you could achieve similar results, with better sound quality, with one of the large format pro monitors. Perhaps another member with one of those could share their experience.

boputnam
05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
My L100T's go to 115db measured 3 feet away...
I was thinking I would like something that could play louder still :banghead:

Boss96
05-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Funny, Bo:)

Whether I'm deaf or not, I find that if I push my Peavey amp to just below clipping (280wpc), the lights flickering, it's pretty loud but it would be nice to get more. Listening to the Who's "Won't get fooled again" just needs more spl:D .
So it is a passive radiator, makes sense. Maybe I'll look at some pro stuff and see what could be built. 18" woofers, etc.
Bob
Oh, fwiw, 115db at 3 feet away, not maybe 15ft away where I listen to them. Could be as low as 108 db:(

Zilch
05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Exposure limit at 108 dBA is 2 minutes, 22 seconds.

Let's don't be STOOPID about SPL's:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/98-126a.html