PDA

View Full Version : K120 installation

G_KOZ
05-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

I have a K120 8 ohm cone driver in a small vented enclosure. I bought this second hand as a "practice" bass guitar enclosure. It works brilliantly but gets a bit "woolly" around low E. I've heard that JBL suggested installing in vented enclosures some kind of mounting seal that prevented any leakage of air from around the edge of the driver, thus retaining the integrity of the tuning ports.

Is this so? Are these seals still available? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

G_KOZ :)

57BELAIRE
05-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi...welcome to the forum.

I suppose you're talking about the white rubber seal that is supplied on most if not all JBL cone drivers. It's on the backside for front mounting.

If your 120 is missing it's seal, short of finding one on eBay, you'll probably have to improvise.

Good luck! :thmbsup:

Zilch
05-22-2005, 09:53 AM
The JBL standard "noodle" seal relies on a precisely dimensioned baffle cutout to work.

Use self-adhesive closed-cell foam weatherstripping from the hardware store, 1/16" to 1/8" thick, 3/8" or 1/2" wide.

I stick it to the baffle, not the driver.

See the woofer cutout in my avatar.

<=======

scott fitlin
05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
You can go to the Home depot and get a roll of Mortite! This works very well, its like a putty used for window seals!

4313B
05-22-2005, 10:22 AM
The JBL standard "noodle" seal relies on a precisely dimensioned baffle cutout to work.Plus it's just stoopid. At the very least make a cork gasket. If you have to have those stoopid noodles I have oodles and can mail you some. :p But I won't really because friends don't let friends use the noodles.

Actually, now that I think about it, any JBL dealer should be able to order you the newer type gasket...