PDA

View Full Version : my model 14s crossovers?

baystate23
08-09-2003, 12:29 AM
the crossovers on my model 14 spkrs have a overload test button. nothing happens when i press the button. there is also a little red light that doesnt come on.could i get some schamatics or some info on how to fix the proublem? any help is appreciated

GordonW
08-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Actually, I'm guessing that the button is a circuit breaker RESET button, rather than a TEST button. If so, the only time you would mash that button, is if the breaker had tripped.

And, that the red light, would ONLY come on when the circuit breaker has tripped, as a notification of a tripped breaker. So, mashing the button would NOT make the red light come on... instead, it would make the light go OFF, had it been on...

Regards,
Gordon.

Alex Lancaster
08-09-2003, 07:56 PM
I agree completely about the reset button, but what powers the red light when the breaker trips?, the amplifier?

Years ago I had a set of the fancy ADS's with the outrageous aluminum stands and the optional LED power displays; I took them apart, and was dismayed at the low quality of the components, but even more at the led circuitry, it was powered by the amp, which must have caused lots of strange things with the signal, LED's being diodes; I got rid of them and went back to custom 4333's, or similar, which seems I get back to all the time.

Alex

GordonW
08-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Yeah, usually the "clever" way of running the light/LED, is to hook it ACROSS the breaker, so that when the breaker trips, the only way power can get thru the circuit, is thru the light. When you reset the breaker, you short the connection across the light, and it goes out...

Of course, if the driver/drivers in the enclosure are ALSO blown by the time the breaker trips (reminds me of the old joke about a component blowing "in order to protect the fuse"), there sometimes may not be a closed circuit, for power to flow through. So, in theory, if a big enough "WOMP" goes thru, the red light may not come on, even with a tripped breaker. However, for normal "oops, I pegged the volume for a moment" kind of breaker trips, you shouldn't have this problem, ostensibly...

Regards,
Gordon.

baystate23
08-12-2003, 03:49 AM
thanks for the reply guys. i do appreciate any and all info. i just looked at my speakers and right above the push button it says " overload push to test". that would tell me that to make sure that the overload prtection circuit is working properly, you push the button and the speaker should cut out therefor letting you know its working,( or going to work right if and when the time comes) right and the spkrs are protected. i may be wrong about this but it makes sence to me. please help! i dont want to hurt my spkrs because the overload circuit isnt working properly! once agine i thank you all for your help and info. SINCERLY, MARK.