PDA

View Full Version : Cabinets for Subwoofer

ernestsk
05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I read many threads on subwoofers. I never saw where anyone mentioned if you could use any of the empty cabinets on Ebay for subwoofers. Rather than build a cabinet from scratch, maybe you could modify the baffles and save time and money. Well, maybe not money. Comments anyone?

Ernest

Zilch
05-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Sure. You don't even have to modify the baffles, either, just block off the openings for mid/high, adjust the port tuning, and add bracing, if required.

You have to pick the right woofer for any particular box volume, though.

Example: L200/A/B (seen some of those recently, even singles). Put in a 2235H, tune the port(s) per B380, block off the horn and crossover input holes, add some transverse bracing, and rock the house.... :D

ernestsk
05-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks Zilch,

Probably would have a domestic problem with something as big as a 200 cabinet. How about something like a L65. Too small?

Ernest

Zilch
05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
L65 will work, too, most likely. :D

Somebody else's gonna have to advise on what woofer/tuning to use.

I'm not real familiar with that cabinet, alas....

GordonW
05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
If you wanted JBL, the L65 cabinet sounds like the place you'd want a 121A, 124A or 124H.

Since those are generally hard to find, a 2214H would probably work pretty well instead...

However, this is one of those times, a good kick-butt car stereo 12" driver might come in handy. More power handling, usually a ton of X-max (linear excursion), and such. Much more sheer air-movement capacity than any of the woofers mentioned above.

One of the currently-available cast-frame JBL 12" car stereo drivers would probably do fine... they're usually spec'd for small sealed boxes for a car, but there's no reason a slightly larger (ie, L65-sized) ported box wouldn't rock the house, with one of these mounted inside. Besides, if you decided to use one of those "plate amp" dedicated sub amps, they're usually made to use with a 4 ohm load... so car woofers, mostly being 4 ohm units, could be quite ideal load for one of these.

Regards,
Gordon.