PDA

View Full Version : B&W Nautilus 2

Audiobeer
05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a chance at getting a pair of Nautilus 2 for a ridiculous price, $500. 1 of the speakers has a slight blemish to the Piano black finish on the upper left speaker. It is now part of an insurance claim and I was offered the salvage. 2 of my co-workers were carrying them in. One new I was an enthusiast of audio and asked me if I could guess what kind of speakers they were. I did and they asked if I would be interested in them. They had to hold them for 30 days but it appears they will be mine. Anybody ever hear a pair? I'm looking forward to checking them out.

JBL Dog
05-10-2005, 08:10 PM
I have a chance at getting a pair of Nautilus 2 for a ridiculous price, $500. 1 of the speakers has a slight blemish to the Piano black finish on the upper left speaker. It is now part of an insurance claim and I was offered the salvage. 2 of my co-workers were carrying them in. One new I was an enthusiast of audio and asked me if I could guess what kind of speakers they were. I did and they asked if I would be interested in them. They had to hold them for 30 days but it appears they will be mine. Anybody ever hear a pair? I'm looking forward to checking them out.

They really suck, you'll hate them.

:p

I believe my brother has a set of B&W Nautilus.... not sure what number they are. I think he paid somewhere around $8k for his. Of course, his, I'm guessing, will sound $7,500 better than yours because the finish is flawless.

Nice score :applaud:

I will patiently wait for the invitiation to demo them.

Mr. Widget
05-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Could they be 802s? What is the driver compliment?

Widget

Steve Schell
05-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Don and I got to hear a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers (if I remember right) at a disc mastering facility in L.A. on the last Lansing Heritage tour. Not sure of the model, but they were large floor standing speakers. To me they exhibited very wide, very flat frequency reponse and sounded squeaky clean- excellent speakers in the usual "high end" context. To me though, they lacked the effortless dynamic range capabilities that we high efficiency speaker types crave... they had that typical polite audiophile sound.

Jeez, for that price though you probably should grab them, enjoy them for a while then resell them at a handsome profit if they don't seem like keepers. That cosmetic damage could likely be repaired by a finish touch up professional at reasonable cost, especially if you take the speaker to them. It may be a polyester finish; most anyone who does piano finish touch up work these days can make invisible repairs to poly, especially in black.

Mr. Widget
05-11-2005, 12:17 AM
That cosmetic damage could likely be repaired by a finish touch up professional at reasonable cost...

Steve, this is Audiobeer we're talking about here! I guess you missed this thread.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=873

Widget

JBL Dog
05-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Could they be 802s? What is the driver compliment?

Widget

I e-mailed audiobeer a sample of the 802's and he confirmed that's the B&W model.

:applaud:

Don McRitchie
05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Don and I got to hear a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers (if I remember right) at a disc mastering facility in L.A. on the last Lansing Heritage tour

The speakers that Steve mentions were the Nautilus 802's at Marcussen Mastering. They were set up in a 5.2 surround configuration with Velodyne 18" subs.

http://www.marcussenmastering.com/index2.html

I concur with Steve's assessment on their sound. At $500 they are an outright steal. There seems to be an industry consensus that the 802's are the best of B&W's 800 Nautilus series, even better than the much more expensive 801 and 800. At least the studios seem to think this way.

jblnut
05-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Anyone ever get to listen to a set of the big boys ? They look like something out of Alice in Wonderland and I imagine they must sound good (understatment).

On looks alone they're one of my favorites, but on price....way out of my league.

JBL Dog
05-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Anyone ever get to listen to a set of the big boys ? They look like something out of Alice in Wonderland and I imagine they must sound good (understatment).

On looks alone they're one of my favorites, but on price....way out of my league.

I have listened to my brother's B&W 5.1 surround with the 802's being the focus. Though the audition was brief, I was impressed with what I heard.

JBL Dog
05-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I will rain on audiobeer's parade and tell you he e-mailed me a picture of his score and they are 802's with a rosewood finish. I'm sure he'll post a few pics later.

I am INSANELY jealous at the moment!

:p

Mr. Widget
05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Damn... that is quite the score! I've heard them and would certainly consider them for a nice bedroom system...;)

Widget

scott fitlin
05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
B & W 801,s, I had a pair, and I sold em, they were really good, very clean top end, but NOT JBL dynamic! I was moving to a smaller apt and didnt have room for them, so I sold em off.

They are more reserved sounding than an equivalent model JBL, have a very delicate sounding top end, very good accurate low end, and of course the mids are very neutral sounding! For me, sometimes they were too polite, like with dance music, or rock, but with Jazz CD,s they sounded nice!

nonetheless, they are really good, the rosewood nautilus 2, and hell, youll never beat that price, GET EM!

:D

scott fitlin
05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Bryston amps work very well with B & W speakers. Jus my opinion!

:)

Audiobeer
05-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Here's a pic of them with a cheap company camera. Just saw the reciepts, they are 6 months old and were $7332.97 w/tax! If they don't have the dynamics I want they will be on Ebay in a heartbeat!

louped garouv
05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
so many speaker, so little time (and $$$ when you think about it... 7K six months ago -- WOW, what a deal)

JuniorJBL
05-11-2005, 12:39 PM
As another thread deals with WAF. Mine is very understanding..... But she did not like the more harsh sound from my JBL's vs a newer type of speaker....

So we also ended up with some B&W speakers for what I thought was a very good price. It is a full 7.1 Signature system in dark Tigers eye Maple. Includes 1pair Signature 800's
1 Signature HTM
2pair Signature SCM's
Total price for the whole system was $10,500
This system retails for $29,000

I too really like the sound of this system. I still use my 4 sub1500's for VLF in my theater.
I would have really liked to listen to some s9800's but as we have seen trying to listen before buying these is really hard not to mention in Denver.
So as it happens when you spend that kind of money "THE WIFE" must be happy:D. So we listened to them and she really liked them as well as the resale value is VERY high it was more like an investment.(she is an CPA) so that appealed to her money sense.

As far as the 802's I really like them as well. and at $500.00 it would be a shame to not get them IMO:applaud:

Good score:bouncy:
I will post pics of mine soon.
Shane

JBLnsince1959
05-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll give you $525 for them, that should be enough profit shouldn't it? :D

seriously tho, very nice score!!

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Here are some pics from my system.:applaud:

louped garouv
05-12-2005, 09:25 AM
and pretty much confirms that you have the sickness too! :applaud:

JBLnsince1959
05-12-2005, 09:34 AM
and pretty much confirms that you have the sickness too! :applaud:

yes, time to call the doctor :D

That is just beauitful...

Zilch
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
and pretty much confirms that you have the sickness too! :applaud:The wives are right.

We are quite REE-diculous.... :D

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM

That is just beauitful...

I think that I am beyond help at this point:nutz:

jblnut
05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh my...that's some room you got there !!!

Very nice...

jblnut

Mr. Widget
05-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I too really like the sound of this system. I still use my 4 sub1500's for VLF in my theater.

I'd guess those speakers are a good match for your apparent room size... but FOUR!!!! Sub1500s... how's the drywall holding up?

Looks like a fun system! I have the same Adcom preamp and CD player, which surround processor are you using?

Widget

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
I'd guess those speakers are a good match for your apparent room size... but FOUR!!!! Sub1500s... how's the drywall holding up?

Looks like a fun system! I have the same Adcom preamp and CD player, which surround processor are you using?

Widget

The drywall is 2 layers of 5/8" and is solid as a rock.
My surround pre is the rotel 1068. I still like my adcom because of the processor loop which allows for 2 channel only operation. As far as the 4 sub1500's I am replacing 2 of the with 2242's ( Thanks Giskard ). I really like the effertless VLF from a JBL 18" driver. No other sound like it. By the way on the back of these 800's it says 1000W
:jawdrop:
OMG

Robh3606
05-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Ohhh Nice!!!

What a great looking system. I woud say you have it bad :eek: I have too show your pictures to my wife. Showing pictures like that helps make it easier for all of us.

"See honey don't you think it looks nice??"

Rob;)

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Ohhh Nice!!!

What a great looking system. I woud say you have it bad :eek: I have too show your pictures to my wife. Showing pictures like that helps make it easier for all of us.

"See honey don't you think it looks nice??"

Rob;)

Nice approach:D

scott fitlin
05-12-2005, 10:54 AM

That is just beauitful...No, the doctor and just medication isnt enough. he needs to be hospitalized right away! There will be withdrawal symptoms when he must give up the HT, to deal with his disease!

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I hope they have pipes in the room where I can listen to Muzak:blink:

JBLnsince1959
05-12-2005, 11:02 AM
is that the crown K2 or k1, looks like K2, but I can't see for sure. :applaud: :applaud:

JuniorJBL
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
is that the crown K2 or k1, looks like K2, but I can't see for sure. :applaud: :applaud:

2 K2's for the subs

JBLnsince1959
05-12-2005, 11:23 AM
No, the doctor and just medication isnt enough. he needs to be hospitalized right away! There will be withdrawal symptoms when he must give up the HT, to deal with his disease!

too harsh a method, may cause permanent damage to his nervous system ( same damage as with the Bose substitution method). The results can be frightening and permanent. Sloooooow withdrawal with LOTS of self-medication :p

JBLnsince1959
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
2 K2's for the subs

Impressive indeed!!!!

Audiobeer
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I crapped my pants! Un freaking believable. That is one hell of a setup. What's your home address....Uh...I'd like to....ah ....send you...a....postcard....yeah that's the ticket! :D

Audiobeer
05-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Well since I last posted the property manager put the nix to my buying outright for $500. He has opened it up to all the employees and sales force in the region by sending them email with pics $%^&*** bassturd! The bids open up at 1pm today which is in about a 1/2 hour. They are sealed bids so will see what happens. I had to bid higher than I feel comfortable with. If it goes for more than that, it's not meant to be. There are 16 bids all together!

louped garouv
05-18-2005, 10:47 AM
i mean toying with people's emotions is just wrong -- especially when it is the heartstrings connected to audio gear ;)

Audiobeer
05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
They are officially mine at a cost of $1626. won them by $25. That pisses me off, but at least they didn't get away. I'll take them home tomorrow and let you know what I think.

louped garouv
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM

JBLnsince1959
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Well since I last posted the property manager put the nix to my buying outright for $500. He has opened it up to all the employees and sales force in the region by sending them email with pics $%^&*** bassturd! The bids open up at 1pm today which is in about a 1/2 hour. They are sealed bids so will see what happens. I had to bid higher than I feel comfortable with. If it goes for more than that, it's not meant to be. There are 16 bids all together!

That's just bad.. No two ways about it. At least you did "win" them back. Let us know how they sound.

Mr. Widget
05-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Congratulations! That is still quite a deal. :applaud:

Widget

JBL Dog
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Congratulations! That is still quite a deal. :applaud:

Widget

Yup, still stole 'em... :D

scott fitlin
05-18-2005, 02:45 PM
They are officially mine at a cost of $1626. won them by $25. That pisses me off, but at least they didn't get away. I'll take them home tomorrow and let you know what I think.If you decide you dont like them, Ill take em off ya hands for $1627!

:rotfl:

JBLnsince1959
05-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Hey!, I offered him $25 profit first!!! :D

Regis
05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
The classic symptoms of full-blown "Audio Addiction Maximus"! What an incredible set up you have! That looks incredibly nice and I'm sure it sounds as fine as it looks! Glad you have a wife that enjoys that side of your life too!

JuniorJBL
05-19-2005, 09:03 AM
They are still a steal at that price!:applaud:

That is a very fine speaker that holds it's value regardless. That you can not hate. At about $4000.00 is a great deal as that is cost!! I should also say they are very bullet-proof and can handle some power and seem to keep there cool at high volume levels.:D

Excellent!!!!!

Regis

The classic symptoms of full-blown "Audio Addiction Maximus"!

Yes it runs very deep in my bones. The doctor has said "only a lifetime of treatment" can keep me sane:blink:

Oh well lets go to the audio store!!:applaud:

Shane

Audiobeer
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
The puppies are set up and playing. Regardless of what speakers I bring home I am met at the door by a skeptic......my wife. She has seen the living room speakers come and go and has always just shrugged her shoulders and walked on by. The exceptions have been the 4313Bs due to thier size. She she loved the sound of the L-300s but still hated the size. Today she walked in and looked at these and asked if I had bought some star war memrobilia (Spell check here). I had anticipated her antics and prior to her getting in I had asked her to bring a couple of her favorite CDs from the car. She put in Keith Urban and sat down. She now is on her 4th CD and is still upstairs listening! I asked her what she thought of them and she said they are growing on her with a big shit eating grin. I have a restored Marantz 2270 that I am using as a preamp, a JBL MPC600 that JBLDOG was kind enough to give me a deal on, and some cheap 14 guage wire from home depot. I believe the upper end is better than what I have heard before, it rivals JBLdogs 4343s. The bass is very tight on the tracks I have listened to.....to the point of shock and awe. It's not nearly as deep as the L-300s but it is tighter. The 802s play louder but I could not ever imagine that being an issue unless I wanted a permanent hearing loss. I called the doctor that owned them and what had happened was a roofer broke a skylight above the speakers, and the glass scratched the top of the left speaker. I have seen more damage on a speaker moving from one room to another than are on these. For the retail price of $7500 if someone could afford them they would be a fair deal. At $1600 it is a great deal a no brainer. The funniest part of the conversation with the doctor was my asking him what he was driving these with? A Adcom GFA-7605 5.1 amp putting out about 125 watts per channel. If anyone is in the area feel free to come by and listen. I think one thing they did make me realize is that having the drivers at head level sure makes a difference. I think I'm going get out in the shop and make some oak or cheery stands that will lift the 4313Bs and hold some CDs.

JuniorJBL
05-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Good deal Beer!!:applaud:

In an earlier post in this thread I had said something similar to what you said.
The B&W's are very nice sounding and if you have the need to see another great looking driver pull one out of the cab. They are neet looking. I have a pic of one of there subs.:applaud: