PDA

View Full Version : JBL C36 with 075 and D131 vs. Altec Model 14

jcolton302
05-10-2005, 10:10 AM
hi all,

i figured this may be the only place where someone can help me with my dilemma.

i am considering selling a pair of cosmetically challenged Model 14's to buy a pair of beautiful JBL's in C36 cabinets that have short legs. the mid century styling of the JBL's has big WAF and will really go with the rest of my furniture.

they will be paired with a mcintosh/thorens setup (mx112, mc2505, 124/sme3009).

so, the JBL components are immaculate 075's and D131's and the Model 14's are all original (except i am midway through building grill covers as the originals were gone when i got them).

my question revolves around sound - as style the JBL's win hands down. what would i be losing? what would i be gaining? would having the JBLs up on their stylish little legs mean i would have no bass when spinning my dub LPs?

any insights or advice would be *greatly* appreciated.

best,
john

GordonW
05-10-2005, 10:47 AM
They're going to sound significantly different.

The C36/D131/075 JBL cabinet will have extremely quick, punchy midbass and mids, while the Altec 14 will have more bottom end extension, but at the expense of transient response in the bass and midbass.

For dub/reggae music, I'd doubt the D131 would have enough low-bass extension... I'd actually suggest using a D123 or 123A 12" driver instead. That'd extend the low end limit from around 55 Hz (with the D131), to the high-30s (for the D123) or to at or below 30 Hz (for the 123A). You will have to attenuate the tweeter more for the 123A (it's a 94 dB sensitivity driver rather than like 97-98 dB for the other two), but it would have more low bass.

Now, for a 2 watt amp, the D131 would be the best choice... given this cabinet (only 2.6 cubic feet), there's NO WAY you're going to get low bass at ANY sort of meaningful output levels on just 2 watts. But, if you used the D131/075 setup WITH a powered subwoofer, then you'd be talking...

Regards,
Gordon.

jcolton302
05-10-2005, 11:06 AM
great info, thanks Gordon. this is exactly what i was looking for (and pretty much what I expected).

sounds like they would be great to have (especially in my bedroom system), but not a good direct replacement for the model 14's. if i had extra cash and space, i wouls definitely snatch them up, but i guess i should let them pass for now.

best,
john