View Full Version : compression driver foam adhesive removal
08-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know which solvent works on that brown, rubbery, adhesive schmegma that JBL uses to attach foam to the cover plate on their old 2" compression drivers? Mineral spirits or denatured alcohol don't seem to do much to dissolve it.
Hi Lacquer thinner will do the job.:D
08-08-2003, 12:06 PM
As well, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) should to.
08-08-2003, 03:07 PM
I pulled out my old, decomposing pads, cleaned the felt still stuck to the inside of the rear covers with mineral spirits, and glued new foam on top of the old felt pads, restoring the foam to near original thickness. If you get the total foam layer too thick, it might interfere with the back of the diaphragm...not a good thing!
08-08-2003, 05:52 PM
M.E.K. did the trick. Laquer thinner worked, but the little MEK in it wasn't as effective.
I didn't have felt. I had dark grey foam that was more akin to cotton candy. Nasty mess. I've gotta say, using paint remover to clean up old drivers is down at the bottom of my list of the most fun I had in audio. MEK is foul stuff, really NOT good to breath. It will also remove paint from your garage floor. I used a stainless steel brush to scrub the MEK around with. Don't even think of using plastic. It will melt.
08-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) was the indicated solvent by JBL; Use a fan to carry the fumes away; It is difficult to obtain in Mexico, because it can handily be used to refine dope and make explosives, so I use MBEK, readily available, not as good.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.8 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.